Swiss train travel – passes, luggage & connections

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 11:02:14 #811942

Hi

We are a family of 4 including 2 kids. (both less than 13 years of age) We are planning to travel swiss for 8 days and planning to purchase 8 day travel pass. Have few clarifications on train travel.

1. If we buy two adult 8 day travel pass, my understanding is that both kids can travel for free with us on all trains including Golden Pass and Glacier? Is this correct?

2. In many travels, we needed to change trains to go to our destination. Eg., we are moving from Interlaken OST to Chur which requires two changes, Zermatt to Zurich requires one change. The connection times are like 8 to 10 minutes. Is this time sufficient to move from one platform to other? We will have wheeled luggage and back packs.

3. Is there any floor map available for major stations to understand the movement between platforms?

4. Is there any facility to keep the luggage in a place under our direct eyes? Any idea on the maximum size of luggage that can kept on the top / side / between seats?

5. Is it always beneficial to board on the front of train to move between platforms for connecting trains?

Thanks a lot

Basker

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 15:38:18 #863718

Hi Basker,

1. Yes, this is correct – you must also order the Swiss Family Card when you purchase the Swiss Travel Pass for the adults. Also, reservations are mandatory for all 4 of you on the Glacier Express and recommended but not necessary on the Golden Pass route (if you are on a panoramic train).
    2. Usually yes. Swiss railways builds connections time in mind with the size of the train station -Zurich is quite large though so if you have less than 10 minutes it could be tight (tracks 1 – 18 are on street level, the rest are underground (19 to 44 I believe). If you miss you connection you can just take the next train though which in a station like Zurich is rarely longer than 30 minutes later.
      You can search for timetables here and downloading the SBB app can be quite useful as well.
    3. Yes : https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services.html
    4. Usually yes unless the train is very busy. Backpacks can often go above you or in front of your feet. medium suitcases can sometimes fit in between seatbacks and large suitcases can go on luggage racks which you sometimes see from your seat – I never worry about it though, theft is pretty rare. Once a woman started to leave the train with my suitcase accidentally as she thought it was hers – but realized the mistake within 20 seconds and rushed back :). Keep wallets, passports, train tickets on your person.
    5. Sometimes perhaps. But sometimes your train will split en-route to your destination and you end up being in the middle or the middle is now the front. Also at stations like Zurich there are many stairwells from along the platform going up or down so you are never far from those to get down or up quickly to another platform.

Hope that helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 4:59:21 #863719

Thank you and your team for all your efforts and time.

1. As per swissrailways.com, it indicates that for online tickets the order will be processed and a PDF link for printing your ticket will be sent to your email address at least 7 workings days prior to departure, unless your order was received less than 7 days before. My arrival date is 22nd June. Does this mean I would receive the ticket closer to 12th June or as soon as I order.

2. For Mt Titlis – swissrailways.com indicates a price of CHF 104 for adults. Net of STP discount it comes to CHF 58. However, for children less than 13 years of age, it shows the same price of CHF 58. There is no reduction for children and the price is same as the discounted price for adults. Am I missing anything here?

3. Also, the above website is open for advance booking from only 29th May. Is this due to season start date (or) may I assume that all the dates from 24th May to 28th May are fully booked?

4. Is the ticket bought on happyrail.com has the same validity like swissrailways.com?

5. The e-ticket option for Mt Titlis in happyrail indicates that it is only possible for Swiss Travel Pass Consecutive, Swiss Half Fare and Swiss Transfer Ticket. Is Swiss Travel Pass Consecutive and STP are one and same?

6. I understand there are some options for return from Mt Titlis to Lucern by train and boat. Could you please assist me the route for this with the link for boat timetable? I looked at Lakelucern website but could not get the required information I was looking for.

7. Also, need one help on getting a data card. I assume this can be ordered online. Can this be picked from Zurich airport upon our arrival? If so, is there any specific place where I can pick this in airport?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 10:06:35 #863720

Hi RadBas!

1. Probably within a few days of ordering you ticket, but maybe as late as June 12. You can request for immediately delivery in the Notes field if you prefer that.
    2. If you have the Swiss Family Card they will be free (everywhere).
    3. Are you looking at a tour? Train tickets aren’t reserved to get to Mt. Titlis. You don’t/can’t pre-book.

You can use the Swiss Travel Pass to get to Engelberg from wherever you start your day and then you just need to buy a ticket from Engelberg up to Mt. Titlis (50% off for adults) and they don’t sell out. If its busy you wait in line for the next cable car.

4. Yes
    5. Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is the Swiss Travel Pass ‘consecutive’ they add that term in the make it more obvious that it isn’t the 'flexible' pass
    6. You can find information on getting to and from Mt. Titlis on our web page here and search the timetables for all trains and boats here.
    7. You can get either a SIM card or a very popular option is Traveler’s WiFi – read more about these options here.

Cheers!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 19:02:56 #863721

Hi

We intend to take STP. On this, Just a few clarifications.

1. There is a discount of 25% on trains to Jungfraujoch – This discount is on the fare from Grindelwald or Wengen. Until this place it is free for STP pass holders and the accompanying kids under 15. Can the discounted tickets be purchased in Interlaken itself or online one day before the travel?

2. Can the kids travel free until Jungfraujoch – or is there any fare for them as well? If so, is it 75% of adult fare from Grindelwald or Wengen?

3. Same query on Engelberg to Titlis – the website says 50% off for STP and 50% off for children 6-15? How does this work for children? No fare for them as they are accompanied by STP holder parents or tickets need to be bought for them as well? If so, what is the price for children?

4. What is the difference between STP and a Junior Card? E.g., for Titlis there is no fare for children with Junior card – whereas 50% charge (subject to clarification on 3 above) for children with STP holder parents?

5. For Rigi, we intend to take Majestic Round Trip from Luzern. http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity says all through it is free. Is this applicable for children who are accompanied by STP parent?

Thank you, Cheers

Basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 May 2017 at 13:03:35 #863722

Hi Basker,

With a Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Family Card the children travel for free wherever the parents go. If the parents need discounted tickets, the children still go free. I think this answers most of your questions. Regarding the remaining ones:

1. You can buy the adult tickets at the station in Interlaken or online through http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains.

4. The Junior Card is not free and is not relevant for people with a Swiss Travel Pass because you already have a free Swiss Family Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 7:05:26 #863723

Hi team

In some of the trains it is indicated “(very) high occupancy expected”. What does this mean? Will the boarding on these trains be difficult or seating would be difficult?? We will have couple of medium sized 4 wheeled suitcases and some backpacks? can we board with these on these types of trains?

regards

Basker

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:27:32 #863724

On those trains it may be difficult to find a seat at times yes (but usually this is during commuter times and you may only stand for 10 or 15 minutes as people get on and off the train constantly). This is the worse-case scenario.

You will have no problem boarding the train itself (your luggage may need to be put at one end of the train car or the other (not with you at your seat) but this is 100% normal and ok…just keep your passport on your person to be safe.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 18:22:37 #863725

Hi Arno

On the subject of STP and discounted tickets – you had indicated that children travel for free wherever the parents go. If the parents need discounted tickets, the children still go free. I had different information from one of the travelers who visited Swiss couple of years ago. To clarify further, I checked with SBB and they have indicated that the adults and children need a half price ticket to Titlis. This means children will have to be ticketed to go to the discounted areas.

We plan to buy the tickets online one or two days before our travel and want to buy the ticket for the required travelers only. I feel it is better to have a reconfirmation from your experience and knowledge. Would you be able to recheck on this?

Cheers

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 June 2017 at 11:48:58 #863726

Hi Basker,

Children up to 15 years old travel for free everywhere if the parents have a Swiss Travel Pass and the children have a free Swiss Family Card. No doubt about that. It has been like that for years. I don’t know why SBB says differently; they must have misunderstood. Feel free to post the entire e-mail conversation with them here, or forward it via e-mail. Perhaps I can clarify why they say this.

The adults need a half fare ticket to Mount Titlis and the children go free. They will get free tickets to pass the gates to the gondola.

The only exception I can think of is smaller private transport companies who do not honor the Swiss Travel Pass at all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2017 at 12:10:36 #863727

Hi Arno

forwarded the email received from SBB to your email. Have a look at the response any let me know if you have any idea on what they say about the fare or price for children under STP.

Thabks

basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 June 2017 at 18:15:12 #863728

Thank you Basker for forwarding the e-mail. Under point 2, they wrote:

The Swiss Travel Pass as well as the Swiss family Card (children) is not valid to go up to the Titlis. Please have a look to the attached map. The adults / children need a half price ticket from Engelberg to Titlis. The return ticket costs 46 Swiss francs per person/child.

The bold part is incorrect. I don’t know why they wrote that, but only the adults pay that amount. The children go free.

Regarding the 5th question in your e-mail: if you go to the SBB tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en you will receive the passes within 1 to 3 business days (usually less than 1 business day). After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the passes, so you can print them at home. The comment about the 7 days only applies to people buying physical passes well before their trip. In such a cases they ship them 7 or more days before departure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2017 at 18:25:13 #863729

Thanks Arno.

Since I am planning to buy the discounted tickets online, all I want to ensure is that I have the required tickets for the kids. Is there any authoritative FAQ or guidance available which I can quote to them to indicate free travel.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2017 at 18:42:39 #863730

Just to add – http://www.titlis.ch/en/ticke ts/cable-car-ride indicates the price and % of reduction. It also says 50% reduction for STP / 50% for child 6-15. But these cannot be combined and this is also mentioned in the website. Extract below:

Reduction TITLIS (cannot be combined)

Percent Reduction

10 % Guest Card Engelberg

20 % Groups (more than 10 people)

25 % Eurail / Interrail Pass

50 % SBB Half Fare Card / General Pass / Swiss Travel Pass

50 % Child (6-15 years)

This also mean 50% payment for children 6-15? Am I missing anything here?

Cheers

Basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 June 2017 at 19:04:05 #863731

Hi Basker,

The child fare of 50% mentioned there is for children not traveling with their parents, and for children without a Swiss Family Card or without a Junior travelcard (the latter is mentioned on their site as a 100% discount, so free). It will be fine. Just buy the adult tickets online. Once there, show your Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Family Card and adult ticket, and they will issue free tickets for the children. You can buy the adult tickets through the same website as the Swiss Travel Pass (see http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/excursiont itlis), however I am quite sure that these can’t be printed at home but will be shipped, so allow more time for that. Or just buy all Titlis ticket on the spot, that works as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 17:30:46 #863732

Hi

Just wanted to check if there are any discounts offered by Swiss railways to carry luggage (express) for STP holders? This luggage transportation is within Swiss.

thanks and cheers

Basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 June 2017 at 19:01:59 #863733

Hi Basker,

No, those prices are fixed for everyone.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2017 at 19:08:52 #863734

Hi

Wanted to clarify the fare for Jungfraujoch. The attached file indicates “Good Morning ticket” of CHF 135 return fare with condition of Depart from Kleine Scheidegg until 8.30 Uhr,

return from Jungfraujoch by latest 13.13 h.

1. Any idea about this ticket and its usefulness?

2. Also, with this ticket can we go via wengen and return via Lauterbrunnen?

3. If we have STP, is there a discount on the Good Morning Ticket as well?

Cheers

Basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2017 at 19:21:45 #863735

Hi Basker,

The Good Morning Ticket is for people without a pass. From Interlaken it costs CHF 145 for the round trip. But with the Swiss Travel Pass discount you’ll pay CHF 137.25 and you won’t have time restrictions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 11:50:21 #863736

hi

We are looking to buy 8 day STP online and came across two sites with similar fare.

sbb.ch

swiss-pass.ch

I guess sbb.ch is the official site. Both sites have the same fare.

However, on the sbb.ch website, in the final shopping cart, i am not able to see the names of adults and children as a confirmation of passenger names. Any idea?

Also, I added two children names in the family card- but in the shopping cart, I could see only one family card without any names. I am not sure this one family card covers both children (as this does not have the names in it). Any idea how the e-ticket would be with one family card in shopping cart for both kids?

Also, I would appreciate if you could let me know if I buy the STP over the counter in Zurich airport train station, would it be a e-ticket format or a proper ticket. In case this ticket is lost, what are the options available (e-tickets can be printed any time / anywhere)?

Cheers

Basker

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 15:17:13 #863737

Hi Basker,

I haven’t heard of names not appearing on the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Family Card.
    If you have entered them it should be fine and appear on your ticket when you get it – but I haven’t gone through the process myself.

As for the Swiss Family Card – it will cover all children in your group, you only need one card for your kids and it is normal for you to enter their names on the Swiss Family Card after receiving it – see here.

If you buy the passes in Switzerland then they are a normal paper ticket – so a big advantage of buying online is to have the E-ticket back up to print it again in case you lose it.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss train travel – passes, luggage & connections’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.