Trains from Zurich to Lucerne and Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2016 at 7:09:14 #808531

Hi,

We would be arriving in Zurich on 9th June. Have booked the hotels in 3 nights in Lucerne. Not sure to get 4 days pass or 4 days flexi pass.

Train from Zurich to Lucerne which station will we alight for Altstat Krone hotel? How long is the journey.?

And from there next day we will go to Mount Titlis and then tour the old town after that. Is 1/2 day at Mount Titlis sufficient? And another 1/2 day old town?

Then next day transport museum and mayb zurich town??

4th day to Wengen. From Lucerne to Wengen we can use the swisa travel pass or need additional ticket?

In Wengen plan to cover Jungfrau trip. 1/2 day is sufficient? Another 1/2 day any suggestion?

6th day to Paris. From Wengen to Basel swiss pass covered? From basel to Paris ticket I will buy TGV ticket rite?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 March 2016 at 17:43:28 #848988

Hi Devi29,

Your hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Luzern main station, which is simply called “Luzern”. Details are in the timetable.

If you start your day early you can indeed combine Mount Titlis and a visit to the center of Lucerne in one day.

Lucerne to Wengen, Wengen to Basel and actually all town to town transfers are free with a Swiss Travel Pass. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

For Basel to Paris you would need a ticket: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ france.

You’d best first have a final itinerary, and then decide whether you need a 4 or perhaps 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, or a Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Please see here for instructions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 March 2016 at 16:30:36 #848989

Late June is a good time to visit the Jungfrau Region…..you would arrive just as the Summer season unofficially begins, typically somewhere around the 15th. In early June the cableways are starting up again from the between seasons break, because winter is almost always finally over up there in the first and second weeks of June. Some high trails may need a few more days to be open, or may open by the end of May. Depends on snow pack. The cograil to Jungfrau via Kleine Scheidegg will be running….it runs all year around.

The only concern with June is that it does still have very changeable weather. Visiting the Jungfrau, or taking the cograil to see the scenery is a rather expensive waste of time and money if all you can see is the inside of clouds. So, most people try to schedule at least a couple of days to have a better chance of good weather. It can change rapidly….the mountains contribute to erratic weather patterns.

There are plenty of other things to do in the region as an alternative, and the local weather….which can change rapidly….is closely monitored at train stations, hotels and tourist offices in the region.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2016 at 12:52:07 #848990

Hi Slowpoke, thanks for sharing. unfortunately we are travelling to Switzerland 9th-14 June… so u think it’s not a good idea to go to jungfrau on 13th June? I thought of getting the tickets online this week. So should i wait till June then buy it? How about Mount Titlis on 12th June which we planned too. Good idea to go? What the other substitute plan to jungfrau in case? Thank you.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 March 2016 at 15:38:38 #848991

Hi Devi29 –

You could have excellent weather on the 13th, and the cableways will mostly be running.

The dates that I gave are not exact….they depend a lot on weather conditions. You should go on the 13th. Since you can arrive by midday on the

Buy your tickets the day before, or on that day. In mid-June, it is not crowded.

As for Mt. Titlis, I have no opinion. It covers a lot less territory than the whole area around the Jungfrau.

This links may help:

http://www.mappery.com/Jungfr au-Grindelwald-region-summer-map

Options in the Bernese Oberland –

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Especially check Jungfrau within that link, and, since you could get there fairly early on the 12th, that can give you some flexibility.

2 hrs 46 minutes every hour at xx05 from Luzern by the fastest route, which is over the Brunig Pass via Meiringen on the Golden Pass route ( called the Luzern-Interlaken Express on that section.) .

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 5:38:26 #848992

Hi Arno, we wil be taking the train from Wengen to Basel with Swiss travel pass on 14th june. And from Basel to Paris we will get the TGV Lyria train ticket. I’m worried about the transfer from Basel to take the TGV. If we take train from wengen and reach basel at eg. 1130 hrs, will we be in time to transfer to the TGV train timely? Also, what if we can’t get a seat from the train from wengen to basel. If we wait for the next train, will we miss the TGV train? We have not bought the train tickets yet. It’s worrying us. And is it too early to buy the TGV train ticket from basel to Paris? Does Eurostar train be taken? Or only TGV? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 13:57:57 #848993

Hi Slowpoke, so I guess I won’t buy the Junfrau tickets online now. Shall wait till 1 or 2 days before and buy rite. Because its our first time to see snow, we intend to play with snow and do some fun activities. I some awesome that Mt Titlis have those fun activity for kids such as snow tubing etc.. Does Junfrau have that as well? Will we be able to play with snow in june and have activities when we go over? If so, I will give mt.Titlis a miss. We will go to Junfrau from wengen. Will be staying 3 nights in Lucerne and 2 nights wengen.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2016 at 14:08:12 #848994

Buying tickets one day before will work fine, and there will definitely be snow. For activities, please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 14:15:48 #848995

Thanks for the reply Arno.. I asked an earlier question too about the train transfer. Hope you can assist. Planning to get the TGV ticket soon. Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2016 at 18:14:05 #848996

Sorry I missed that Devi29! You can always get a seat on the trains from Wengen to Basel. Worst case (and rare) scenario is that you will have to stand for a while, but you can always board. You didn’t mention the departure time of your TGV train from Basel. Is it the one departing 12:34? That’s enough time to have lunch too. Even 5 minutes is enough to change trains, although in such a case I would try to take one train earlier to have some slack.

You can get the ticket from any of the websites listed here: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france/ price. The train is called TGV Lyria. The Eurostar trains only operate from London to Paris and Brussels. But actually the name is not relevant. Just check the websites on our list and book the train that suits you best time wise. Most websites allow bookings up to 4 months before traveling (see the 4th link in my first post), and booking early is cheaper.

Please let us know if you managed to book the tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2016 at 14:36:22 #848997

Hi Arno, thanks for the explanation. So I just get theTGV ticket from Basel to Paris rite? From Wengen to Paris covered by Swiss Travel Pass rite? I’m gonna book tomorrow. I actually compared the 8 day pass against the 4 days. I think we will get the 8 days as we will be there for 6 days and we have kids and do not need to pay separately for them if we get the pass. So in that way I guess itso cheaper to get the pass.. thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 March 2016 at 14:53:36 #848998

Hi Devi29,

Yes, you only need a TGV ticket for Basel to Paris. You wrote “From Wengen to Paris covered by Swiss Travel Pass” but that’s not correct. Wengen to Basel is covered by the pass. Please see http://www.swissrailways.com/ en for the pass, and pick “Online Ticket” as the delivery option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 14:37:54 #848999

Hi Arno, i have already purchased the 8 day Swiss Travel pass for 2 adults and 2 kids with family card and opted for online tickets. I have not bought the TGV ticket from Basel to Paris. Just wondering if it will be nice if we take the Golden pass from Wengen to Lausanne and buy TGV ticket from Lausanne to Paris? Hope to hear from you soon.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2016 at 14:48:08 #849000

Hi Devi29,

If you have time to include the Golden Pass line that would be great. You don’t need a ticket from Lausanne, but only from the border: Vallorbe or Geneva, depending on the route. You can use the timetable to find your preferred option, then buy the appropriate ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 14:58:48 #849001

Thanks… the swiss travel pass will cover the golden pass line rite?. Not sure about which border as im not sure of the place. Any advise?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 15:33:29 #849002

I am trying to find golden pass route from wengen to geneva, but unable to. Timetable shows other trains only. How do I travel from our Wengen hotel to Geneva and catch the TGV from there? Is the train station Geneva or Geneva airport? Sorry i am getting confused.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2016 at 16:07:11 #849003

Hi Devi29,

If you provide your travel date and time I’ll take a look in the timetable.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 16:15:11 #849004

Hi Devi29

Try putting “Zweisimmen” in the “via” or “connections” box.

The station for the train is Geneva.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 16:19:14 #849005

Hi Arno and Slowpoke, thanks so much for your help. My travel date is 14.6.16. Travelling from Wengen to Paris.Couldn’t see any Golden pass trains. Thank you for assisting.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 16:20:34 #849006

Hi Arno, sorry forgot the time. It should be after check out from hotel around 10am if possible. Thank you.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 17:52:55 #849007

<<“Hi Arno and Slowpoke, thanks so much for your help. My travel date is

14.6.16. Travelling from Wengen to Paris.Couldn’t see any Golden pass

trains. Thank you for assisting.”>>

Here is one example. I only checked as far as Montreux. From there, you can plan another journey to Paris.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Trains from Zurich to Lucerne and Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.