Tram Fare & Swiss Saver Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2011 at 10:34:45 #804764

Hi,

(1) Please advise if tram fare in Zurich is covered by Half Fare Card and Swiss Pass. Could you please advise the tram fare from BAHNHOF-QUAI to QUELLENSTRASSE in Zurich by Tram 4 or Tram 13, and if Half Fare Card and Swiss Pass can be used in this case?

(2) In case we buy Swiss Saver Pass for 4 people, do we need to travel together all the time? If one of us don’t go together on one day, can the other three still use the Swiss Saver Pass that day?

Thanks. Christine

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 October 2011 at 2:46:14 #834420

Hi Christine,

(1) The Swiss Pass allows free traveling all over Zurich, and the Swiss Half Fare Card allows discounted traveling. All transport modes are included. The maps linked from the Swiss Pass page and Swiss Half Fare Card page show where the passes are valid (which is almost everywhere). There are no point-to-point tickets in Zurich. The prices depend on the number of zones you cross. The zone system and prices are explained here. Anyway, any trip is free with a Swiss Pass or just a few francs with a reduced ticket + Swiss Half Fare Card.

(2) You can use the Swiss Saver Pass with just a few people of your party. The other ones can not travel at the same time, as you’ll only have one pass for everyone. Further details and resellers are listed here.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2011 at 6:30:16 #834421

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

(1) I now get some ideas about the zone system. But I have some difficulty to work out the number of zones from BAHNHOF-QUAI to QUELLENSTRASSE. Do I need to buy the tram ticket before boarding but I am not sure which one I should buy?

(2) Sorry that I can’t fully understand the point about Swiss Saver Pass. Actually, for some days, all my friends will stay near Zurich station while I will stay near QUELLENSTRASSE. If we buy Swiss Saver Pass for 4 people, could I can still use the Swiss Saver Pass (for 4 people) for tram from BAHNHOF-QUAI to QUELLENSTRASSE while all of my friends will not travel at the same time? OR I need to buy single ticket for my travel from BAHNHOF-QUAI to QUELLENSTRASSE?

Many thanks. Christine

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 October 2011 at 13:43:16 #834422

Hi Christine,

I’m not sure if you can get a ticket on board, but you can get it from ticketing machines or manned selling points, e.g. at the rail station. The personnel there can help you out if anything is not clear to you. The Saver Saver Pass can be used by any number of people from your group. The people not traveling along can not use it at the same time. So you can use it alone for the tram while your friends do not use it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2011 at 12:42:32 #834423

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your advice.

We decided to buy the swiss saver pass for 4 people. But may I know about the activation process, whether the swiss saver pass can be activated if only 3 of us are present? Our plan is I will wait at Geneva (travelling from Paris) while my 3 friends will activitate the swiss saver pass for 4 people at Geneva airport and then travel to Geneva to meet me. Then we go to Montreux altogether. Kindly advise if it is possible.

Thanks. Christine

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 October 2011 at 13:21:48 #834424

Hi Christine,

Depending on where you purchase, the pass can be validated by yourself, or it needs to be done by railway personnel. In the latter case, I’m not 100% sure if it can be done if you can’t present the passports of all travelers. However, Geneva and Geneva airport are just a few minutes apart, so if your friends can’t validate it at the airport, they can buy tickets to Geneva for a few francs and validate it there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2011 at 14:05:50 #834425

Hi Arno,

i will be traveling to switzerland this thursday with my husband and my 5 years-old son. we will take the tgv from paris to basel.
    if i buy the swiss saver pass online, do i have to retrieve the pass in basel? or where i can validate them? can you explain to me further?
    for my 5 y.o son, does he need the pass as well? can you tell me about the family card?

we plan to go to mt.titlis, and jungfaraujoch, do you know exactly what the time it is opened or closed?

regards,

ami

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 October 2011 at 2:57:23 #834426

Hi Ami, and welcome to our website!

You can best read the Swiss Pass page. It also lists all purchase options (on the right side) with delivery times, prices, etc. You cannot order online and then retrieve your pass in Basel. You would either order online and have it delivered or purchase in Switzerland. All options are on that page. Please note that prices are different per reseller.

The timetable contains all schedules. Enter Kleintitlis or Jungfraujoch as your destination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2011 at 23:19:38 #834427

Hi
    My family & I (5 adult, 1 youth and 1 kid) will be travelling to Switzerland in Dec 2011. Would like to seek advice on the suitable swiss pass to purchase. Our schedule are as follows :
    16 Dec – Depart Paris to Lausanne , transfer train from Lausanne to Zermatt
    17-18 Dec – Zermatt
    19 Dec – Depart Zermatt – Zurich
    20 Dec – Zurich
    21 Dec – Depart Zurich for home
    Would a swiss flexi pass be suitable? If not, please advise. How does the swiss flexi pass works? Does that mean I can choose the particular day of usage once I validate the card ie. I can choose to use the pass on 16 Dec, 19 Dec, 20 Dec etc. For STS Family Card, how do I proceed with the application.
    For the swiss flexi pass or swiss pass, does it mean it is applicable for use for all the trains within switzerland? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 November 2011 at 16:23:39 #834428

Hi Bunny,

If I understand correctly, you’ve planned two transfers plus perhaps some local cable cars in Zermatt. I would rather recommend a Swiss Card. It includes both transfers for free, and you’ll get discounts on the cable cars. Further details and resellers can be found here. The Swiss Flexi Pass requires you to travel for 3 or more days to make it economical. For Zurich, depending on your plans, a Zurich Card would be good to look into.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2011 at 3:04:52 #834429

Hi

Thanks for your reply. You were suggesting that we get the Swiss Card. When it states it includes a round trip from airport or the swiss border. Does that means this round trip will be Lausanne to Zermantt and Zurich to Zurich airport. For all the inbetween trips and daily transport, then i will have to get the individual ticket right?

I will be travelling for 3 or more days in Switzerland, won’t a Swiss Flexi pass be more economically? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Regards
    Bunny

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 November 2011 at 7:50:52 #834430

Hi Bunny,

You would use the transfers included in the Swiss Card for the trip from the French/Swiss border via Lausanne to Zermatt and from Zermatt to Zurich airport (but you can just get off the train in Zurich).

If you have planned more than the 2 train transfers, then yes, a Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass would be a good fit.

• The thread ‘Tram Fare & Swiss Saver Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.