Tight Swiss itinerary in Aug 2020, Jungfrau area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2019 at 7:58:51 #824341

Hello, We are hoping to travel to Switzerland in August 2020 but have a very tight timeframe. I have put together an itinerary using the available resources and am fairly confident about most of it.(Thanks to the excellent transport website and the Swiss Travel Pass)) I just want to query one section : at present we plan to take the train from Lucerne to Interlaken, then up to Wengen on one day. The following day, we hope to get the earliest possible train and head up to Jungfraujoch for a couple of hours before heading back to Grindelwald and taking the cable car to Wengen, then the train to Murren. After a night in Murren we will take the train to Interlaken then on to Montreux.

Do you think we are trying to do too much on the day we are going to Jungfraujoch and should we just come back to Grindelwald or Wengen?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 October 2019 at 10:08:47 #924447

Hello Rarlem and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I wonder why you would swap accomodation from Wengen to Mürren? Otherwise what you propose is doable.

Would you care to share the rest of your itinerary?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2019 at 16:59:21 #924448

Hi Rarlem2010,

yes, it is doable. As Rockoyster pointed out, Wengen (http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/travel) and Mürren (http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/travel) are quite close to each other, you can reach both from Lauterbrunnen, have a look at the links above.

You can check the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to see how long does it takes to get from a town to another.

These can be also useful for you:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2019 at 23:14:53 #924449

Thank you Rockoyster and Ildiko for you prompt responses to my query. We only have a week and I thought one night in Wengen and another in Murren would give us an opportunity to see two towns in the same region. We decided not to stay in Grindelwald as it is that bit busier. As we are only carrying packs it isn’t difficult for us to move each night. The remainder of our itinerary is based around the Golden pass and the Glacier express. Once we have finished the Glacier express we are thinking we will train from St Moritz to Rapperswil before heading in to Zurrich to fly out. (we are not big city people) It would have been nice to get the boat from Rapperswil to Zurich but I don’t think our scheduled flight out will allow that. Would love more time but I am sure we’ll return. We are hoping to leave the bulk of our luggage at Zurich airport whe we fly in and pick it up as we leave as we then have a further 5 weeks of travel.

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 November 2019 at 7:41:04 #924450

Hi Rarlem2020,

In addition to the links provided by Ildiko and rockoyster, below are more helpful links for your trip:

Best regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    1 November 2019 at 11:47:36 #924451

Hi Rarlem

I too think your plan is doable as stated. Having only backpacks for luggage does make moving much easier but you still have to take time to pack, check out, check in, and unpack.

If you get an early start from Lucerne you could make it to Mürren for a late lunch and look around ( it’s quite small )and even visit Schilthorn. Then travel to Wengen for 2 nights. The next day do the early trip to Jungfraujoch then Grindelwald. I would then go for a visit to First (perhaps a walk to Bachalpsee if time permits) then return to Grindelwald and cable car back to Wengen. It will actually be easier to reach Montreux from Wengen than Mürren, although not by too much. Be advised it is a 30-40 minute walk from Grindelwald to the cable car at Grund to Mannlichen and Wengen or you can take a bus or train from Grindelwald to Grund cable car, unless the recent remodel has changed the locations.

mark

• The thread ‘Tight Swiss itinerary in Aug 2020, Jungfrau area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.