Travel pass – 1st class upgrade for specific trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2016 at 6:45:37 #810160

Hello, this is my first post to this forum and I just wanted to say that this travel site has been so useful and comprehensive in helping me plan a trip to Switzerland for July 2017 to celebrate a special birthday. I have been able to use the site and forum to answer most of my questions but I am not clear on whether it is possible to upgrade a second class 8-day Swiss travel pass for a specific journey, and how to go about this. My plans are to arrive in Geneva by air from Ireland and then travel by train to Interlaken, using the travel pass. I arrive at peak time (late afternoon) so expect the trains to be busy. Because I will have some luggage and want the trip to be as comfortable as possible I was thinking about upgrading to first class just for this trip. Is this possible and how do I go about this? If I do upgrade to first class is it possible to reserve seats particularly for the part of the journey between Bern and Interlaken which will probably be during the evening rush hour?

Thanks again for maintaining a great site and all the answers to previous forum posts which have helped me enormously.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 September 2016 at 7:05:38 #856222

Hi Herakles8,

Welcome, and thanks for your first post. Glad to hear MySwissAlps has been useful so far. Upgrading to 1st class for particular trips is no problem: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ 2nd1stclass. More about luggage transport and storage can be found here: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage. Reservations for regular Swiss trains are not always possible, nor is it customary. It might be an option for Bern to Interlaken, but not many people will use that service: myswissalps.com/ train/reservations. Note that if your flight is delayed and you can’t make it to that particular train, your reservation will be useless. The Swiss Travel Pass is valid in all trains though. You can print it at home in order to not loose time in Geneva: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/price.

I don’t know your budget, but since this is for a celebration you might be interested in scenic or luxurious hotels to make your stay extra special. You’ll find suggestions in the hotel section.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2016 at 10:52:23 #856223

Hi Arno

Thanks for the response which is very helpful. I should have realised the answers would be on the site, I was just looking in the wrong place :-). Nearer the time I will order the Swiss travel pass and print it out – I tend to plan well in advance so when I have an itinerary put together I will ask for some feedback on viability etc as others on the forum have done. I think I will just upgrade the pass for the journey and not bother with the reservation to allow flexibility in case of flight delays.

Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Travel pass – 1st class upgrade for specific trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.