Travel pass for Bernese Oberland family hikers?

• KimRosenthal
    Participant
    14 posts
    24 July 2017 at 17:46:32 #812725

Hi, everyone. My family of 5 (mom, dad, 16-year-old twins, 13 year-old girl) will be spending 8 days hiking in the Bernese Oberland. We are staying in Grindelwald and hope to hike around there, First, Mannlichen, Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen and Interlocken. Weather permitting, we will likely visit Jungfrau Joch or Schilthorn.

Thus far, it looks like the Berner Oberland Regional Pass may be our best bet. Does this seem right to those in the know? Also, I have seen recommendations to book in advance for the transit to Jungfrau Joch or Schilthorn. However, I also read recommendations to avoid going in bad weather (which makes perfect sense). Is the best recommendation to basically wake up early (7 am), check the weather, and then book immediately for that day if possible? Thanks to all! Kim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 6:16:57 #867313

Hi Kim and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland for 8 days probably makes the most sense. Click the link to read about costs, how to buy and where in the region the pass is valid (including a PDF map).

Another option is the Jungfrau Travel Pass which also offers good or better discounts/coverage but in a smaller area that the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland. This pass is only available for up to 6 days, but could be the better value if you stay within that region only (use the PDF map on the link above).

Are you driving into the region or taking a train in from Zurich or Geneva?
    To help decide which pass is the best option for you you need to plan out your trips and use the Excel sheet on our page about choosing the best rail pass, to know for sure.

I would suggest waiting as long as possible before booking tickets to Jungfraujoch (I don’t think you need to worry about Schilthorn). You don’t mention when you are visiting, but in July and August the trip to Jungfraujoch can be quite busy so some people do reserve (but I would wait until the morning of departure or the day before if you can to see how to weather looks).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Travel pass for Bernese Oberland family hikers?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.