Travelling to Jungfraujoch by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 17:17:24 #813812

Hi,

I am staying at Unterseen Interlaken. Can you help me, I am going to Jungfrau 27 or 28th early morning set off around 7.30pm. I have my own car. What would be the best route. There will be 2 adults and 2 child 13 & 16.

Please could you list out the best route and times to get there after leaving my car at the nearest place if I drive and park it. Please advise the total cost. I tried to use the excel sheet but confused how its works as I need to plug in every train fare. I am only there for 2 days 1 day to Jungfrau and 1 day to Schilthorn taking train & cable car.

thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    12 December 2017 at 21:17:44 #872836

So, off to the high places, eh? Pray for great weather. I assume that the trip is imminent, so be prepared with warm clothes, sturdy footwear, and hopefully sunglasses. The costs are my guesswork depending on the time of year. I would go to Lauterbrunnen, park in the nice parking garage at the train station, then take the train to Kleine Scheidegg, and up to the Jungfraujoch. The Interlaken Tourist Bureau can give you details on exact costs and if the 13 year old can get a break on the fare. I would guess right now, that parking, train fares to Kleine Scheidegg, and the train to the joch would be in the range of 500-600 francs for the four of you. To Murren and the Schilthorn is cheaper but likely still steep (400 francs). Start both trips as early as you can, as the weather can deteriorate, as the day progresses. To the Schilthorn, go by way of Lauterbrunnen again but go through the village and to the lift at Stechelburg. Its endstation in Murren exits at the lift that goes to the Schilthorn for a quicker change instead of the Lauterbrunnen-Gruetschalp-Murren train and a walk through a lot of the village at Murren. Allows more time at the Schilthorn that way. There is parking at the Stechelburg lift.

The Swiss Franc is currently at a par with the US$.

Do not do either trip unless the weather is pristine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 21:36:08 #872837

Hi Lucyliu88,

Please have a look at Lucas’ answer to your questions about the best route and planning the trip in the thread you started earlier: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/driving-condition. The car parkings of Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald Grund (a larger parking place) are just a short walk from the rail station.

Without the Swiss Half Fare Card you’ll pay CHF 210.80 per adult for the Jungfraujoch and CHF 131.80 for the Schilthorn if you take the train from Interlaken. With the Swiss Half Fare Card you’ll get a 50% discount. The previous thread also explains why we recommend to do the trips by train, using the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 7:29:20 #872838

Already did my calculations and Swiss half fare card isn’t worth as we going for 2 places.

so u mean don’t go if it snows? Will cable car open if snows?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 8:48:53 #872839

You have to make sure that the weather is going to be clear when you are there. If it is cloudy, then you won’t see anything as you will not get any view at all when you are up there. The best is to decide just one day before. Cable cars will be open.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 December 2017 at 9:13:15 #872840

Hi Lucyliu88,

If you’re going to both places you will save money with the Swiss Half Fare Card. If you’re only going to one (e.g. if the weather does not cooperate) then it won’t be worth it.

• The thread ‘Travelling to Jungfraujoch by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.