Trip report – day trips from Lucerne

• Seno0428
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 November 2019 at 2:03:41 #824396

My wife and I returned from our trip from France thru Switzerland finishing in Italy in late September. Thank you so very much to the people who take their time to contribute and help us to make our vacations better! The country and people of Switzerland are so wonderful.

Homebase was Lucerne from where we took several day trips. I must admit we had beautiful weather so we were able to visit Titlis and Rigi. (I am a geologist so I was in heaven)! We booked travel from Paris to Basel and from then on used our Swiss Travel Pass to get to Lucerne and elsewhere. We particularly enjoyed the boat rides on Lake Lucerne and visiting many of the towns along the shores of the lake. We met many locals and found their hospitality wonderfully amazing. The Lion monument in Lucerne is quite unique and moving if you take just a moment to learn about it and the events leading to its creation. We found the variety of restaurants in Lucerne to be great, unfortunately I am not an adventurous eater so I did not really try any Swiss dishes for dinner. We stayed a sort 10ish minute walk from the train station on the other side of the lake. The walk was beautiful and seeing the locals enjoying the parks during the day and night was fun. We never felt as if we should not be walking no matter the time of day. In addition traveling by bus was so simple and convenient too.

Getting about from city to city was so easy, just follow the advice of the contributors on this forum and I don’t think you can go wrong. The trains were never more than a minute off….amazing. It helped me to visit many of the train stations on google earth and other websites to familiarize myself to areas we would be visiting. We capped our visit off with a ride on the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Lugano.

But one more time, I just wanted to thank the many people who contribute to this forum. Your contribution is much appreciated!! I can’t wait until our next visit.

Dave – Dallas TX

• The thread ‘Trip report – day trips from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.