About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Trip report - Kandersteg and Zermatt
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Trip report - Kandersteg and Zermatt

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 2, 2020 - 9:07 AM

Hello,

After my week long travel in Bernese Oberland in September 2018, I visited the Kandersteg area and Zermatt in September 2019.

First of all, I would like to thank this website/ forum and all contributors which helped me plan my trip easily.

I was based in Brig. My travel report for the 4 days:

Day 1: I took the train up to the Gornergrat. On return, I took the train till Rotenboden and walked via the Riffelsee till Riffelberg. Took the train to Zermatt and then wandered in Zermatt for a bit and then took the train back to Brig. Wanted to visit Gorner gorge too but could not as I started feeling tired by 3 pm due to the long travel the previous day.

Day 2: Took the train to Frutigen and then took the bus to Adelboden, Unter dem Birg changing the bus at Adelboden Oey. Walked the easy circular path starting at Engstligenalp Bahn. Spoke to a lovely lady in the bus who was going hiking higher up Engstligenalp with other fellow hikers. She pointed to a mountain where she hiked last winter. While I was amazed by her hiking stories, she was amazed that I was travelling alone and chose to visit a place not frequented by tourists. Ah, the joys of travel :-).

Day 3: Took the train from Brig to Kandersteg and took the bus to Selden (called the company the previous day and reserved 1 seat). There were many people going this way and 2 buses arrived together at Kandersteg to accommodate all. The bus ride was exciting as it passed through a narrow tunnel road and forests. Cars are allowed on this route for specific times only. For the return journey, I walked back from Selden to Kandersteg. Somehow, I missed the hike route and ended up walking on the same path as the bus. As I had already passed through the same route, this walk was not so exciting for me.

Day 4. I visited the Oeschinensee. I wished I had hiking poles here, as the path from the cable car to the lake was a bit slippery for me. The return walk up from the lake was easy. The lake is extremely beautiful and I spent 2-3 hours here wandering around.

Looking back, I wish I stayed at Kandersteg instead of Brig as 3 out of my 4 days, I visited places nearby Kandersteg. I also wanted to visit Montreux and Fiesch area but could not due to lack of time. Good enough reason to visit again :-). I bought a Swiss Half Fare Card online before my trip and this was really useful. I was really lucky to have beautiful weather on all days.

Hoping to visit the Engadine area this year.

Happy new year to everyone!

Cheers!

Ildiko
Ildiko
1010 posts
top member &
Jan 2, 2020 - 12:52 PM in reply to wanderdiva

Hi Wanderdiva,

thank you for sharing your experiences. Do you have maybe a few photos to show us? We would be glad to see them too.

I hope you can come back this year to Switzerland again.

Happy New Year to you too!

Last modified on Jan 2, 2020 - 12:53 PM by Ildiko
wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 2, 2020 - 2:49 PM

Thanks Ildiko.

Photos taken during Selden - Kandersteg walk.

Please login to see the attached documents
wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 2, 2020 - 2:54 PM

Adelboden.

wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 2, 2020 - 2:55 PM

Matterhorn reflection in Riffelsee.

Ildiko
Ildiko
1010 posts
top member &
Jan 2, 2020 - 6:28 PM in reply to wanderdiva

Thank you for the beautiful photos! You really had great weather, good for you!

Wendy
Wendy
7 posts
Jan 2, 2020 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for your trip report. It was great to hear you enjoyed Kandersteg as I was in the same dilemma as you and have booked for 5 nights in Kandersteg. So looking forward to it!

wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 3, 2020 - 5:08 AM

Hi Wendy,

I hope you too will love Kandersteg and find plenty of activities to do there. Wishing you a great vacation!

Anna
Anna
937 posts
top member &
Jan 3, 2020 - 7:00 AM in reply to wanderdiva

Hi wanderdiva,

Thanks for sharing your travel and photos! Yes, you should definitely come back for another visit :)

Happy New Year and regards,

Anna

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
690 posts
top member
Jan 6, 2020 - 4:56 PM

Hi Wanderdiva

We have also done that circular walk at Engstigenalp and enjoyed it as much as you did. It was nice to be in a place that was not too busy and the atmosphere was lovely. Because of the flat nature of the walk it is one of the places we might consider trying to visit with my wheelchair so I intend to investigate whether we can get there.

Your pictures are lovely.

Maggie

wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 7, 2020 - 4:57 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you Anna :-)

wanderdiva
wanderdiva
36 posts
Jan 7, 2020 - 5:06 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

Hi Maggie,

I did see a family with one of them in a wheelchair (at the starting point of the walk) when I reached there. But did not see them later. Not sure if they left early.

I hope you find more details and visit it again :-).

Wanderdiva

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020