Trip report Sept 2018, day 1-Zurich

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    2 February 2019 at 4:08:53 #819727

It’s taken me a long time to get around to writing a report of our trip last September, but here it finally is. Thanks to everyone who helped me with my planning as I couldn’t have organized our trip as well without that help.

We arrived in Zurich early in the morning on 12 September from Australia via an overnight stay in Singapore. I had thought about taking the train straight to Wengen from the airport but knew that we’d be very tired. So I booked a night in the Adler Hotel in Zurich.

We managed in our sleep-deprived state to buy train tickets from the ticket machine and in no time were at Zurich Station. It was only about a 10 minute walk to the hotel in the Old Town. As we walked along I realized that it was quite warm and started to regret booking a hotel without air-con. Zurich was having a heat wave.

I’d chosen the Adler as I’d read that they allowed early check-in if possible. However, they’d been fully booked the night before and didn’t yet have a room available when we arrived. I sat and waited upstairs on a couch while G went to the nearby Salt phone shop and bought data sims for our phones. Not long after he returned, we were able to get into the room.

After showering and getting a bit of sleep we were hungry so went out for a walk to buy sandwiches from a convenience store. Later, we went for another walk to sightsee a bit. We saw the Grossmunster and crossed the river to see the Fraumunster but ran out of puff and decided to go back to the hotel. I thought Zurich Old Town was really nice and was glad I’d seen a bit of it.

It was very hot out in the afternoon sun and I was worrying about how hot it would be overnight in the room. The Adler is now putting in air-conditioning but it would have been great to have it when we were there.

We decide to be lazy and eat in the hotel restaurant on our first night. We had fondue and rosti with raclette as we’d never had them before. They were good but a bit too much cheese for us.

That night we roasted in the room. There was a fan but as we had to keep the window shut due to noise from outside it didn’t help much. The hotel itself was fine and in a great position, but I regretted booking it and wished I’d chosen one with air-con.

Day 2: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2018-part-2

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2019 at 16:22:19 #903330

Thanks for the report Judy! I agree A/C is wonderful when the temperatures are high!

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    8 February 2019 at 8:25:02 #903331

Judy, I agree that Zurich is a lovely city. Really enjoyed wandering there. Am working my way through your other reports.

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 1-Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.