Switzerland trip around October 18?

• wongkarpui
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 March 2018 at 2:46:49 #814778

Hi everyone,

First time in the forum and would like to seek your opinion on my trip planning to Swiss at the beginning of Oct 18.

Kuala Lumpur -> Zurich -> Lausanne – stay here for 2 nights, will cover Lavaux vineyard / Lake Geneva / Gruyere cheese factory

Lausanne -> Zermatt – stay here for 3 nights, will cover Matterhorn and doing hiking within the region (route to be confirmed yet)

Zermatt -> Interlaken / Grindewald – either stay in Interlaken or Grindewald for 3 nights, cover Jungfraujoch, hiking within the region (route to be confirmed yet), cycling from Interlaken to Brienz, mountain village visit like Murren, Wengen etc

Interlaken / Grindewald -> Lucerne / Zurich – either stay in Lucerne or Zurich for 2 nights, cover Rigi, Titlis, Stanserhorn, Rhine Falls

Zurich -> Kuala Lumpur

Is the plan workable? Is the beginning of October a good time to visit these places? Anything to take note?

All comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance…^_^

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 12:27:24 #878853

Hi wongkarpui and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think that late in October isn’t the best time to come. I would try to arrive earlier and perhaps leave Switzerland around the 18th (if possible).

That being said if winter doesn’t come too early it can be a good time to be here. Your itinerary looks nice to me.

Personal preferences: I’d choose Montreux over Lausanne, Grindelwald over Interlaken and Lucerne over Zurich.

Be sure to check the timetable to see about travel times and connections between towns and mountain attractions & read through the available Swiss rail passes here. Be sure to read our page on how to choose the best rail pass as well. The Swiss Travel Pass is probably a good option for your trip.

wongkarpui
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 March 2018 at 3:23:29 #878854

Lucas,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Will put the trip at the beginning of October and also take your advise to stay in Grindelwald, Montreux & Lucerne. Had done some reading on Montreux and noticed that it’s a more lively town when compare to Lausanne.

Really many thanks~~~^_^

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 7:42:48 #878855

Anytime! Late September/ early October can be a great time to come to Switzerland.

As you get into more detailed planning feel free to ask more questions! The Swiss railways timetable that I linked above is your best friend in Switzerland (be sure to download the SBB app as well for your phone if you plan to get a WiFi hotspot or Sim Card).

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip around October 18?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.