Unsure how to purchase tickets to Jungfraujoch

• rachelerae
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 July 2016 at 4:06:04 #809604

My 20 year old daughter and I are trying to figure out how to get the best train tickets and prices for travel on August 1-3. We probably will do minimal travel on August 1. Unfortunately, we already paid full price for our tickets to get from Munich to Interlaken/Widerswil on July 31. On Aug. 2 we would like to do a day trip from Wilderswil to Lauterbrunnen, and then head up to Jungfraujoch, and then go down through Grindelwald, and back to Wilderswil. If we don’t buy our tickets in advance, will they be sold out? How do I buy tickets with stops in theses places? How long should I plan for stops in each place? On Aug. 3 we need to take the train from Wilderswil to Zurich Airport. I have read about the Swiss Half Fare Card. I’m confused about how to go about purchasing such a pass, and using such a pass. Is this the cheapest option?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    4 July 2016 at 4:33:22 #853779

Hi rachelerae, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I also think the Swiss Half Fare Card is a good idea. Whether it’s your best option can be found out by listing all your trips and doing the math as explained here. But the Swiss Half Fare Card is definitely a good option. All details are here: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard.

The easiest way to purchase is to go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. Once in Switzerland, you can get discounted tickets from the machines or ticket offices.

Tickets allow you to get off the train anywhere you want and continue traveling later that day. How long you stop in each place is up to you. The small villages you mentioned are not really sightseeing places (no monuments, museums, etc.). They’re more like a base to start or end hiking.

Please also see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/tickets.

rachelerae
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 July 2016 at 15:14:29 #853780

Thanks for the very helpful information. Do I need to be concerned with tickets selling out? Do I need to buy these train tickets in advance?

Annika
    7115 posts
    4 July 2016 at 15:15:49 #853781

Please see the last link, it’s all explained there. Apart from Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch, tickets never sell out.

rachelerae
    Participant
    4 posts
    6 July 2016 at 3:45:17 #853782

It says if you buy tickets in advance, make sure the date is flexible. How do you buy train tickets with a flexible date? I would only have two dates as an option–Aug. 1 or 2. I’m sure those will both be busy days. Do I risk bad weather and just book the tickets?

Also, I have the option of booking a roundtrip from Interlaken from this link: http://www.raileurope.com/act ivities/jungfraujoch/i ndex.html

Or I could do a round trip that goes up through Lauterbrunnen and back through Grindelwald. But then I have to figure out what times for each of those trains.

Which would you do? I’m tempted to do the first one, just to make it easier.

Annika
    7115 posts
    6 July 2016 at 6:31:54 #853783

Hi rachelerae,

The website you found offers flexible tickets: “Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase“. So you could buy those, check the weather forecasts when you’re there, and validate them for a particular date as soon as the forecast is promising. To be sure, do so the afternoon before you go up, or earlier. If you buy locally I would also recommend to buy the day before.

The tickets are valid for all trains through Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. You can take any train you want on the day of travel. Please see http://www.raileurope.com/act ivities/jungfraujoch/i ndex.html for further details.

rachelerae
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 July 2016 at 13:52:59 #853784

I bought the Jungfraujoch Top of Europe flexible tickets. I see that the tickets can only be bought at certain stations, which means I cannot reserve my spot online or by phone. We won’t arrive to Interlaken until mid-afternoon on July 31. We want to go up Jungfrau on Aug. 1 or 2. Will seats still be available for those dates on the 31st? We leave the country on Aug. 3rd.

Annika
    7115 posts
    15 July 2016 at 16:12:57 #853785

Hi again,

This will work fine. You can check the weather forecast on July 31, decide which day you want to go up, and go to any staffed train station to have your tickets validated for that day. If the ride to Jungfraujoch books out at all, which is rare but may happen in August, you should be in time on July 31.

• The thread ‘Unsure how to purchase tickets to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.