Visit Jungfrau in tight schedule early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 7:10:27 #808303

Hi Everyone,

I am planning my trip for Jungfrau on early April. However, I am really struggling of the schedule and the place to stay (Interlaken or Grindewald). It would be great if I can have some of your advices.

We will stay 2 night in Lausanne in my friend’s brother place before going to Jungfrau, and then we will have 3 and half days left….(too rush I know…) But I want to visit the maximum with Jungfrau in these days. I have made up 2 plans below, do you think they are possible to make them in our tight schedule?

Since my friend’s brother will pick us from Geneva Airport, and we will only travelling with trains from 1st Apr to 4 Apr, what kinds of pass should be suit us best in this case? Thanks so much!

Stay 2 nights in Grindelwald

• 01-Apr Day 1 – Lausanne – Grindelwald
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Grindelwald – Interlaken
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Interlaken – Grindelwald
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Grindelwald – Jungfrau
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Jungfrau – Wengen
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Lauterbrunnen – Grindelwald
    • 03-Apr Day 3 – Grindelwald -St. Gallen
    • 03-Apr Day 3 – St. Gallen – Appenzell
    • 03-Apr Day 3 – Appenzell – St. Gallen
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – St. Gallen – Zurich
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – Zurich station – Locker for baggages (does it possible?)
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – Zurich center visit
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – Zurich – Airport (Flight at 7pm)

Stay 2 nights in Interlaken

• 01-Apr Day 1 – Lausanne – Interlaken
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Interlaken – Thun
    • 01-Apr Day 1 – Thun – Interlaken
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Interlaken – Grindelwald
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Grindelwald – Jungfrau
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Jungfrau- Wengen
    • 02-Apr Day 2 – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen
    • 03-Apr Day 2 – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken
    • 03-Apr Day 2 – Interlaken – St Gallen
    • 03-Apr Day 3 – St. Gallen – Appenzell
    • 03-Apr Day 3 – Appenzell – St. Gallen
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – St. Gallen – Zurich
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – Zurich station – Locker for baggages
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – Zurich center visit
    • 04-Apr Day 4 – Zurich – Airport (flight at 7pm)
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 January 2016 at 17:02:52 #847876

Hi sumsum!

I admire your desire to see and do a lot within a few days. You’ve certainly thought things through. Both plans are pretty hectic, but they’re doable. I prefer the first plan because Grindelwald is a more scenic place than Interlaken. What I don’t understand about day 1 though, is why you first travel to Grindelwald, then back to Interlaken, and again to Grindelwald. If you want to visit Interlaken you can do so as you pass through. That will save you at least an hour of traveling. But it’s not a particular scenic place, and not a town one would typically choose as a day trip destination.

A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would fit your plan. It allows you to hop on and off trains without tickets, so that will save some time as well. You only need a discounted ticket for part of the Jungfraujoch trip. This trip does require good weather to enjoy the views, so I hope you’re lucky on April 2! Please see here for where to buy the pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

There are lockers at the Zurich main station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 4:02:21 #847877

Hi Annika,Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful!

On my first plan, we will be carrying baggage with us, it maynot be easy for us to drop in Interlaken for a briefly visit, it may works if thereare lockers at Interlaken station. If a daytrip in Interlaken is not suggested, any alternative place you are recommended?

Does a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass cover all the trains that wewill do in our plans? (Lausanne/ Grindelwald / Interlaken / St Gallen/Zurich). So then we will only need to pay for discount ticket Jungfraujochtrip?

Thanks again

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 January 2016 at 16:04:15 #847878

Hi sumsum,

Please click “Where it’s valid” on the last page Annika linked to. That will explain everything about coverage.

There are lockers at the rail station in Interlaken. For alternative activities you can have a look at myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/ activities and myswissalps.com/ berneseoberland/ activities. There are lots of hikes listed there too. I would certainly recommend to do a bit of hiking. In April you need to stick close to the valley floor though, as higher trails can be covered in snow. There are endless options. Here are two suggestions:

• The thread ‘Visit Jungfrau in tight schedule early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.