What does Bernese Oberland Pass cover near Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2018 at 13:58:28 #819253

Does the Bernese Oberland pass cover the train from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen?

What parts of the trips from Lucerne to Mt Rigi cover? Can I ride the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau, take the train to Mt. Rigi and ride the lift down to Weggis and take the boat from Weggis back to Lucerne for free with the Bernese Oberland Pass? The map seems to cover some of these things but not others so I wanted to verify.

What does the Bernese Oberland pass cover for a trip to Mt Pilatus?

Can you confirm the pass covers the train from Lauterbrunnen to Brig?

Thank you, Darren

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2018 at 17:16:16 #900805

Hi Darren and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The PDF map shows exactly what is covered by the Regional Pass Bernese – Oberland: http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity

You say you’ve seen a map but have you seen that PDF map?

It should answer all your questions (also read the list on that link on mountains that are discounted). If not let us know! It does not really cover anything near Lucerne (except to and from Lucerne from Bern or Interlaken).

If you have a lot of travel planned around Lucerne you may want to look at the Tell Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass or perhaps the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 December 2018 at 21:36:44 #900806

The BO Pass covers Lauterbrunnen to Brig provided you go via Kandersteg which is handy as it is the more scenic route.

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2018 at 23:42:40 #900807

Hi Darren

No the Berner Oberland Pass (Bernese Oberland in English) does not cover the tourist area around Luzern as the Luzern area is not geographicallly part of the Berner Oberland*. If you look for the ‘Berner Oberland’ wording on the validity map you will see how small the actual Berner Oberland area is compared to the ticket validity area.

It is a matter of luck for tourists that the authorities have the grace to include Bern – Luzern and Luzern Interlaken railways in the validity of the pass. Regional pass validity areas were much more restricted in the past.

So yes, Luzern – Lauterbrunnen is included

* – The Berner Oberland as a geographical feature is (as the name suggests – ober meaning upper or above in German) the ‘Bernese uplands’ ie high hills/mountains of the Bern Canton

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2018 at 11:13:14 #900808

Thank you all for your replies. They are very useful and helpful. I do have one follow-up question about leaving Switzerland and getting to Italy. If I have the BO pass the and the Half Fare Card pass, do I need to get 3 different tickets to get from Luaterbrunnen to Verona, Italy? Use the BO pass to get a free ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Brig. Use the HFC for a reduced ticket from Brig to Domodossola, Italy. And then buy a third regular price ticket from Domodossola to Verona? Could this all be purchased through SSB? Can/should I purchase these tickets before my trip or the day we need to use it?

Thank you!

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 December 2018 at 12:20:10 #900809

Hi Dpace8,

You only need one ticket. You need to purchase a ticket from Brig to Verona. When buying online you can select the Swiss Half Fare Card for each traveler who has one. Depending on the ticket type you may save a little that way. Not much though, as the leg covered by the Swiss Half Fare Card is short.

You don’t need a ticket for Lauterbrunnen to Brig because you have a pass. Do make sure you travel via the covered route, i.e. via Kandersteg.

For the passes, please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2018 at 16:11:06 #900810

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the advice on the ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Verona, Italy. Can I purchase this international ticket from SSB? Should I purchase it in advance before I leave on my trip, or purchase it a day or two in advance while I’m staying in Wengen?

Thank you,

Darren

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 December 2018 at 19:29:17 #900811

Hi Darren,

You can certainly buy this a few days or even just before departure, but buying well in advance will probably save you money. The first link in my previous post lists various retailers, and SBB is one to check as well. They may or may not be more expensive for an international ticket like this, so do compare the options I’d say.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2018 at 19:56:13 #900812

Thank you!

• The thread ‘What does Bernese Oberland Pass cover near Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.