What is the best places to visit

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2014 at 21:19:58 #806615

Hi guys,

i’m going to stay at Interlaken (2 nights) & Zurich (2 nights) on the 18th – 22nd Sept next month. Can anyone give a suggestion the best places for me and my family to visit (5 adults & 3 kids) since it will be our first time in Switzerland. We would love the scenery better. I would prefer the panaromic views, waterfalls and the lake especially the snow.

What is the best pass/tickets for my family? Do we really need to bring along a very thick clothing for the visit and are they available on top of the mountain if we did not bring any? If my wife is pregnant (5 months), can she join us till the top of the mountain?

i’ll will come from Milan to Interlaken on the 18/9 and will be going back from Zurich airport to Cologne on 22/9. Can anyone pls share your experiences and suggest the best places to be visited within those 4 days?

Really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Sam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 September 2014 at 13:38:10 #840970

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Sam! Let’s take a look at your questions.

If you want to get up to the snow, I’d recommend a visit to the Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn. In most cases pregnancy shouldn’t be problem, but it’s wise to check with your doctor before leaving if you plan to visit areas over 2500 m (which goes for buth Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn). Warm clothes are a must. You can also dress in several layers of thinner clothes if you don’t want to carry along thick winter jackets. As for boat trips and waterfalls: you can visit the Trümmelbach Falls (to be combined with Schilthorn/Jungfraujoch) and the Reichenbach Falls (t0 be combined with a boat trip over Lake Brienz). Further tips for the Bernese Oberland are here.

For your stay in Zurich you can consider a visit to the Rhine Falls. This requires some traveling time though. The city itself and its immediate surroundings have more than enough to offer for two days as well; please check the Zurich page.

The best pass depends on your final travel plans. I think you should look into the Swiss Half Fare Card and the 4 day Swiss Pass, especially if the idea unlimited traveling appeals to you. This step-by-step plan on how to pick the right pass may be of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2014 at 14:44:14 #840971

Hi Annika,Thanks for your brief explanations on the recommended places to be visited. For your info, I’ll be traveling from Milan by train ETA at 8:53pm and will board another train in Spiez to Interlaken West at about 10:23pm since there are no other means of transportations at that time in between. I’ve purchased the Swiss Pass for me and my family and I believes it will be sufficient for all my transportations tickets until the final day from my hotel in Zurich to the airport (22/9/14). I’ll come out with an itenerary and will ask for your opinion later as soon as possible. Basically the above suggestions are adequate and is what I’m looking for. Since I’m having the 4 days Swiss Pass beginning from 19/9/14, do I still need to purchase any other tickets towards on top of the mountain and do I really need to booked seats for each of my journey? Regards, Sam

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 September 2014 at 17:48:26 #840972

Hi Sam,

You can best refer to the Swiss Pass page Annika linked to, especially the “Where it’s valid” and “How to use” sections. In short: you don’t need tickets and can just board trains, buses and boats without booking seats. You do need tickets for routes that are discounted: cable cars and mountain trains.

Regarding your inbound journey: you don’t need to wait that long in Spiez. There’s a bus leaving for Interlaken West at 9:10 PM, arriving at 9:34 PM. Your Swiss Pass will cover that bus. This official timetable includes all public transport in Switzerland. Other timetables may not show all trains.

Enjoy the trip!

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2014 at 20:51:03 #840973

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the additional informations. Really appreciate it.

Regards,

Sam

• The thread ‘What is the best places to visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.