What type of protective clothes needed in October

• Jose
    Participant
    8 posts
    17 July 2014 at 3:37:37 #806520

I am travelling to Grindelwald for a stay of 7 days after reaching Zurich in the first week of. October (4-11). I will be going to Jungfrau on a day trip and some local trip and staying at Grindelwald for 7’days and a halt of one day at Zurich on return. I have the following questions

1 I understand that Swiss card is the most economic train ticket for me. Is it necessary to buy the ticket before I start my journey ? Can I buy at Zurich airport after my arrival at the same cost of 199 CHF .If Swiss card is to be collected from the airport after ordering on line, is it difficult for a stranger arriving at the airport?

2. Will it be very cold in October first week at Grindelwald ? What type of clothes should I carry for my trip? Do I need any special clothing for a day trip to Jungfrau? Is it windy and cold in the evenings at Grindelwald, Interlaken and Lucern?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 July 2014 at 9:37:20 #840667

Hi Jose,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! As for your questions:

1. The availability of the Swiss Card in Switzerland is limited to the entry points of the country, but Zurich Airport is one of them so you can get it there. You can also get it online and have it shipped to your home address, collect it at the airport (just follow the signs to the rail station) or have it shipped to your hotel in Switzerland (only convenient if you stay the first night in Zurich). All the options are listed in the Price section of the Swiss Card page: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisscard/price. So you can see for yourself what you like best. If you buy online you can pay in your own currency and make use of this discount.

2. That’s hard to say. In the mountains, one needs to be prepared for anything. Early October could be Summer-like in daytime, but it can also be rainy and cold. At the high peaks it will surely be chilly or freezing. The key is to dress in thinner layers so that you can adapt to the temperature throughout the day. Also have a light raincoat available. The Jungfraujoch page explains more about how to prepare for that trip.

Did this help you out?

Jose
    Participant
    8 posts
    19 July 2014 at 2:30:43 #840668

Dear Arno,

thank you very much for your informative and useful reply. I have been enriched a lot about important tips for tourists and specially the well researched document by Kim after joining the forum.

i have one more query about Swiss rail. I read that one can book luggage at the time of check in to be delivered to Grindelwald station. I am travelling by air India AI7701 operated by Swiss air LH 155 on code share basis. can I make arrangement for delivering the luggage at Grindelwald at no extra cost? Similarly I find tha one can check in at Grindelwald station on return journey. Does one have to pay additionally for using both these facilities at M Mumbai airport and Grindelwald Station?

jose

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 July 2014 at 10:33:02 #840669

Hi Jose,

Good to hear we’re being useful for you! The luggage transport services are not free. One needs to purchase a voucher to attach to the suitcase. More information can be found on the luggage page. Links can be found under “More on other websites”. Should the option through the airline not be available in your case, you can always you the fast baggage service from the airport to Grindelwald, and arrange for that at the airport rail station.

• The thread ‘What type of protective clothes needed in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.