Best discount card for the Interlaken region?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2016 at 18:17:35 #808468

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum so I hope I get some good info. I’m planning on a trip to Switzerland with my family and will stay in the region of Interlaken. Of course a trip to Jungfraujoch is on our list and I wonder what would be the best railroad pass to purchase to get me the most discount on train fares.

I was quite shocked by the prices to travel to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken. I would nearly pay CHF 550,- for a return trip for me and my wife, my 2 year old and my 14 year old!! Can this trip be done any cheaper?

All suggestions are welcome

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 February 2016 at 6:04:45 #848632

Hi aerodaan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The way to pick a rail pass is to list all of your trips and then find the pass that offers most savings or convenience. Jungfraujoch happens to be the most expensive day trip in Switzerland, but even without a rail pass it won’t cost you CHF 550. The regular price is CHF 438.80 (CHF 204.40 per adult and CHF 30 for a Junior travelcard). If you don’t mind traveling very early in the morning or late in the afternoon, the adult price goes down to CHF 145. Please see here.

But a rail pass will most probably be a better option, as I assume you’ll be doing more trips and you also need to travel to and from Interlaken. A Swiss Half Fare Card or Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland may fit your plans. Please see here for how to pick a pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 16:58:30 #848633

Thanks Arno,

I will certainly look into this. We are staying very close to Interlaken and we travel by car most of our trips, it is easy to travel to various train stations to hop on the train to the Jungfraujoch. Would you suggest a one-day-travel pass for an adult (as this is much cheaper)?

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 February 2016 at 18:28:18 #848634

Hi again,

For drivers the Swiss Half Fare Card is almost always the best choice. Nevertheless I would recommend to board the train at the nearest rail station and not drive to the closest point you can reach by car. Train trips are part of the fun, and if you board in Interlaken you can do a round trip Grindelwald – Jungfraujoch – Lauterbrunnen. You can’t do so if you drive all the way to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

There are no one-day travel passes, except for Swiss Half Fare Card holders, but that would not make sense for the average day trip as you have to travel a lot to reach the break even point.

• The thread ‘Best discount card for the Interlaken region?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.