Glacier Express & Gotthard Panorama Express 1 day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2019 at 23:54:30 #823399

Good morning,

I have been reading posts for over a year in preparation for our trip to Switzerland and it has been a fantastic help to plan our trip – so thank you to you all.

Our Itinerary from Saturday 21st September.

5 nights Wengen

3 nights Zermatt

4 nights Montreux

Then we are off to travel England and Italy before returning for 3 nights in Lucerne.

We would like to fit in some scenic train trips and thought the day we travel from Wengen to Zermatt we could travel to Lucerne and do GPE including the boat across the lake and then the train. We would then need to swap to the GE to get to Zermatt. Where would we need to get off of the GPE to get the GE to Zermatt? Is this even possible or a good idea? After leaving Zermatt we intend to travel to Spiez to board The Golden Pass Line into Montreux. I am still working out which rail pass to buy which I will do using the spread sheet once I sort the route from Wengen to Zermatt. Also how far in advance do I need to book seats on the Scenic trains? Thank you so much Jala

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 2:45:27 #920061

Hello Jala,

Have a look at “Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express route in one day” on this page.

Going from Zermatt to Spiez take the route via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Brig and Spiez on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 12:01:01 #920062

Hello Jala,

in addition to Rockoyster’s answer, make sure you have a look at these pages too, in case if you haven’t done it before:

This is a very useful page to choose the best train pass for your itinerary: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

But if you need any advice regarding the rail passes let us know, we help you gladly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 7:55:34 #920063

Thank you both so much for all that fantastic and helpful information!! I love the suggestion from Zermatt to Spiez – I never would have known that without your help. I am now just curious how far ahead of time I should book the scenic trains if we are travelling in September?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 8:19:18 #920064

Now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 17:04:09 #920065

Hi Jala,

To follow Rockoyster’s advice use “packages” tab the links provided by Ildiko.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 5:31:35 #920066

Thanks guys – I will get onto it ASAP!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 6:19:54 #920067

Hi again – when I book the train to Spiez via Kandersteg – how do I choose the Regio Express? What does it look like on the SBB Timetable? What time does it depart and is it a specific train or just any train on a specific route?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 August 2019 at 6:41:00 #920068

Zermatt to Spiez via Kandersteg will get you on the right route.

See attached.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you just hop on the train most convenient for your connection.

There is no “booking” necessary. The ticket is good for all day.

If you are planning to go to Montreux from Spiez you can go Zermatt to Montreux via Kandersteg and Zweisimmnen and get a single ticket for the entire route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 7:25:56 #920069

Ok – Thanks for that. I have just purchased my STP for 15 days and I thought I was doing it with the Jungfrau promotion but became confused when purchasing so I think I have some how mucked that up – only ending up with the STP (no seat and no voucher book). The promotion says a free seat booking – what is the normal cost just for a seat booking to Jungfrau from Wengen? Do I need to book a ticket and a seat?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 August 2019 at 7:37:23 #920070

Don’t worry about the Jungfraujoch reservation (which are described in practice here and here). It’s not worth much. Nor is the coupon thing in my opinion.

For Jungfraujoch you will need to buy a ticket from Wengen or Grindelwald. You’ll get 25% discount. Don’t buy until you know the weather is going to be favourable (that’s another reason the promotional reservation is not much good as it locks you into a travel date). It’s best to buy at a local station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 9:26:01 #920071

I am so glad to hear that – sounds like waiting to see the weather considering we have 5 days in Wengen is the best option. I now have my STP so I will start to book the scenic train trip from Lucerne to Zermatt. Thank you so much for all your help. I have been wanting to come to Switzerland since I was a child and I am now almost retired……so excited!!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 August 2019 at 9:46:26 #920072

You are welcome Jala.

You will enjoy Switzerland I’m sure. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2019 at 7:50:13 #920073

Oh dear I am having so much trouble trying to book the panoramic trains. I really have spent hours trying to work this out. I have the SBB website/app and I have found the GPE boat departing at 11:12 am and I go to book but there is nowhere to add my STP details to get the discount? It only lists Half fare travel card, junior travel card and children’s co. I am not sure how to book just a seat or a first class upgrade and use my STP. Also can I choose a specific seat for the scenic trains on the SBB website – I can’t seem to work this one out either. When I looked on the actual Glacier express website it shows a picture of the train carriage and where the seats are located – but I thought I would try and book using the SBB app so I can keep all my tickets together.

On a separate issue – I purchased the STP from the actual website and then downloaded the app and I am not sure how to add my STP to the app so I can use it to book things like Jungfrau and other (including these scenic trains).. I have read as much as I can from your website but I am still so confused.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 August 2019 at 8:16:33 #920074

Hi Jala,

Relax.

You don’t need to book the boat. Just board and show your STP.

The only place you can select seats on the GEX is the GEX website.

You can’t add the STP to the app you can just display it as a PDF on your phone. The app and the SBB website are incapable of handling 25% discount for Jungfraujoch. Buy the ticket at a station (when you know the weather looks good) and show your STP to get the discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2019 at 9:50:18 #920075

Thank you again so much.

Just so I understand – is the following correct?

– I should be able to get a first class seat on the boat on the day (- no need to prebook anything)? I can’t prebook a seat on the GPE – it is potluck when we get to the train (is this correct)? How do we get window seats or seats next to each other?

– As I have the STP – I would only use the SBB website/app to look up train times – not to book (as there is nowhere to add the STP discount, only the half fare card)?

-I need to book first class upgrade on GE on the actual GE website not on SBB?

Also where do I book a seat on the MOB Belle Epoque trains Zweisimmen into Montreux?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 August 2019 at 11:03:41 #920076

Hi Jala,

We have a few crossed wires here. Are we talking about the Glacier Express or the Gotthard Panorama Express? Maybe both? I’ve lost the plot. I will answer your questions as you put them

I should be able to get a first class seat on the boat on the day (- no need to prebook anything)?

If you have a 2nd Class Pass you will need a Class upgrade to access 1st Class (The upper deck). There are no “seats” as such. It’s “free seating”.

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website of SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

You can buy a Class upgrade on the boat.

I can’t prebook a seat on the GPE – it is potluck when we get to the train (is this correct)? How do we get window seats or seats next to each other?

Reservations are compulsory on the Gotthard Panorama Express train AND it is 1st Class only. See earlier post for how to make reservations.

As I have the STP – I would only use the SBB website/app to look up train times – not to book (as there is nowhere to add the STP discount, only the half fare card)?

With an STP you don’t need tickets on trains. Just seat reservations on a very few Panoramic trains.

I need to book first class upgrade on GE on the actual GE website not on SBB?

See above for Class upgrade on the GE if you mean Glacier Express.

Also where do I book a seat on the MOB Belle Epoque trains Zweisimmen into Montreux?

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). Then change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. Reservations are not compulsory but are recommended on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg (which is where the gPanoramic and Belle Époque trains operate) during peak tourist season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2019 at 14:13:13 #920077

Hi Jala,

in addition to the answer of rockoyster, here is the link for the seat reservation and it also explains the upgrade on the Gotthard Panorama Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ tickets.

Seat reservation and ticket for the Golden Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets. If you do have a Swiss Travel Pass you do not need to buy ticket for the Golden Pass line, it is included in it. Seat reservation is not compulsory, but recommended just as rockoyster wrote you.

The pages below you to just buy seat reservations for all trains. It assumes you’ll already be having a rail pass covering the journey itself, and it allows you to get a seat reservation plus upgrade ticket to 1st class for the Gotthard Panorama Express, so that’s exactly what you need in addition to your 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2019 at 18:23:25 #920078

Thank you to both of you for your patience and assistance. It is such a complex system – although probably not if you are used to it.

Rockoyster – we are doing both the Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express – that was my initial question sorry for the confusion – I am so grateful for your help.

I realise that I do not need a ticket as such because I have the STP but I want to book our seat/place on the trains and was quite confused trying to do this. Ildiko your advice looks amazing – thank you – hopefully I can manage to do this all today.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 August 2019 at 22:22:34 #920079

Hi Jala,

I missed one of your GEX related questions . . .

How do we get window seats or seats next to each other?

The only site where you can actually select seats is shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express/.

Other sites will seek to co-locate fellow travellers but you don’t get to pick specific seats.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express & Gotthard Panorama Express 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.