Where in Switzerland to be based for a weekend?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 22:51:04 #810655

Hi.

please help.i have spent hours on your website n forums and i am still sooo confused.

I land in zurich at 3.30pm friday

I will purchase a 4day swiss pass

I would like to go up a few mountains and see amazing views but dont want to sit 8hrs straight on a train

Where can i go straight from zurich airport on friday evening and stay so that i am conveniently located to base myself 3nights and do day trips to diffrent mountain tops and cable cars.

It is a rainy gloomy weekend predicted. Beginning feb

I dont want to ski. just enjoy amazing views and maybe amatuer snow activities

How can i maximise the benefits of the swiss pass?

I leave monday at 12pm from Zurich

I realy appreciate the help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 January 2017 at 10:47:00 #858405

Hi Fatimah,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Lucerne would be perfect for a weekend. It is only an hour from Zurich airport by a direct train (or sometimes one change). It offers plenty to do and see for any kind of weather. For snow you can visit Mount Titlis, but as it is winter you can even enjoy the snow half way up Mount Pilatus in Fräkmüntegg.

Please see:

A Swiss Pass is not for tourists. What you need is the Swiss Travel Pass. Everything included in the Swiss Travel Pass can be found here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity. To prevent waiting at the airport you can print the pass at home: visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees). Once you have printed it you can catch the first available train to Lucerne without any delays.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 January 2017 at 13:33:43 #858406

Hi Fatimah –

<<“do day trips to diffrent mountain tops and cable cars. It is a rainy gloomy weekend predicted. Beginning feb I dont want to ski. just enjoy amazing views and maybe amatuer snow activities”>>

Arno has offered the best location, because it offers flexibility and variety. If the weather is awful, you may have so many clouds that you will not find the amazing mountain views, but Luzern gives you a lot of options no matter what the weather. If it is good, you are close to some high mountains.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

It is not uncommon to have low clouds and fog in the valleys in Winter and at lower altittudes, but very often, it is just a layer and burns off once the sun comes up, or by late morning. No promises, of course.

Also, even if bad weather is predicted, very often it may be for only a few hours of a particular day, or in part of a region.. And,because the mountains make their own weather, it can change rapidly at higher elevations, and is not easily predictable.

The tourist office by track #1 in the Luzern main station can help you figure out specifics for the mountains.

The timetable can help you determine how long trips from Luzern can take:

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where in Switzerland to be based for a weekend?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.