Which pass is best?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2015 at 17:07:14 #807551

Can I first ask you about the different passes that I should consider.I am going by train from Zurich to Zermatt. In Zermatt, I will be taking gondolas and lifts for two straight days incljuding to Gonergrat and Klein MatterhornI am then going from train from Zermatt to Fiesch to spend the day hiking at Aletsch. Taking lift up to top to start along the glacierThen from Flesch to Wengen.In Wengen 7 days of hiking including train to Schilthern, and gondolas, cogs and Furicular every day for 7 days of hiking.One of the days we will take a train from Wengen Bern.We will take the train from Wengen to Meriringen to do Trift bridge, gare gorge, glacier, funiclar and the waterfalls,Then we are taking the train to Lucerne. Where we will go to Mt. Titlis.We will then take the train from Lucerne to Zurich to fly out.At each of our stops in Zermatt, Wengen, Meriringen, Fiesch and Lucerne we will be taking the gondola, cog trains or lifts each day.Is the best pass:- the Half price pass-Swiss Travel Pass Flex- The Bernise O. pass because I will be there for 7 days?-Swiss travel pass I try using the different sites, but I am very confused like this one. http://www.myswissalps.co m/swisshalffarecard/pr ice. Can you please help me out with this. I really appreciate it

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 July 2015 at 18:56:46 #844459

Hi Oceanrose!

It looks like you should consider a Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, that provides free traveling on a few days and 50% discount on the remaining days in between your first and last traveling day. You’d use free travel days for the longer and more expensive transfers. In your case, you could consider Zürich-Zermatt, Fiesch-Wengen and Lucerne-Zürich as free travel days. Please view the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page for details.

What exactly don’t you understand about the price overviews? They list all purchase options that are relevant for your country, including prices that allow you to compare resellers. For example, if you’re from the USA (which you are, right?) the cheapest option to obtain a Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi would to buy through RailEurope World, that’s on top of the list and marked as ‘best buy’. Make sure to select the Combi option from the drop-down list at the right hand under ‘Rail product’.

I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2015 at 13:33:57 #844460

People have been suggesting the half fare. Is your half fare card and the other one discounted? It looks like when I go to Switzerland it is 133.00 and yours is 107. Can I print it out at home?

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 July 2015 at 15:53:59 #844461

Hi Oceanrose10. The Swiss Half Fare Card is an option too, but it doesn’t grant free traveling for the longest and most expensive trips. You should make calculations find out whether this is more convenient than the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

As for buying, whichever pass you choose: all resellers we list offer the exact same pass. And indeed, prices can vary per reseller. In many cases it’s cheaper to buy online than to wait until you’re in Switzerland. Please read this explanation too. You can easily find the cheapest reseller simply by comparing prices (mind the currency in which they’re displayed) and checking the ‘best buy’ label. The cheapest reseller for you, RailEurope World (see here for the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi and here for the Swiss Half Fare Card) doesn’t offer printable tickets yet. The paper tickes will be sent to your home address.

• The thread ‘Which pass is best?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.