Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Best travel pass for 6 nights in Switzerland

Best travel pass for 6 nights in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Spanner
Spanner
5 posts
Nov 16, 2019 - 7:54 AM

Good morning

4 adults all over 60 making our first foray into the Italian Lakes and then Switzerland. Our itinerary looks like this; Flights from UK to Milan, train to Stressa (4 nights); Train to Montreaux (2 nights); Golden Pass train to zwisseman / Interlaken; train to Wengen (2 nights); train to Lucerne (2 nights); train to Zurich. Zurich to UK.

Any help with train passes would be much appreciated along with any comments about proposed itinerary

Thank you in advance

Geoff

Anna
Anna
323 posts
top member &
Nov 16, 2019 - 9:05 AM in reply to Spanner

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to My SwissAlps!

Your itinerary certainly looks doable. Based on your travel plan, I think either a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half-Fare Card would be ideal. Please use the following guide to choose the best rail pass for your trip. This step-by-step guide includes a spreadsheet you can download to calculate the cost of your journey for the different passes suggested. I suggest you download the SBB timetable to make planning easier.

More useful links for your trip:

Best regards,

Last modified on Nov 16, 2019 - 9:06 AM by Anna
rockoyster
rockoyster
7883 posts
expert
Nov 16, 2019 - 10:23 AM in reply to Spanner

Hello Geoff,

When are you travelling?

By far the best way to check timetables, find fares* and buy tickets on-line if required is using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi). In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app also show a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections.

Spanner
Spanner
5 posts
Nov 16, 2019 - 11:17 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you for the very helpful info. I will make use of 5he calculator/spreadsheet.

Spanner
Spanner
5 posts
Nov 16, 2019 - 11:18 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks for your reply. Travelling last week of May - first week of June. Should that be ok and a little less crowded that high season?

Anna
Anna
323 posts
top member &
Nov 16, 2019 - 1:41 PM in reply to Spanner

Hi Spanner,

May-June is still considered shoulder season, so possibly not as crowded :)

Good to read - best time to visit: www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Cheers,

Anna

rockoyster
rockoyster
7883 posts
expert
Nov 16, 2019 - 7:19 PM in reply to Spanner

Hi Spanner,

That’s when I visited in 2017. Nothing was too crowded and the weather was splendid (if a bit hotter than expected).

Enjoy.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019