Which rail pass for Zermatt, Interlaken, Luzern?

Which rail pass for Zermatt, Interlaken, Luzern?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sueycr
sueycr
5 posts
Sep 7, 2017 - 6:16 AM

I'm flying into Zurich in mid September from Singaporean I'm Travelling with my Husband. I'll be taking the train straight to Zermatt , then to Interlaken, then to Luzern and back to Zurich. After that, I'll be taking a train to Stuttgart, Germany. All done in 2 weeks. I'd like to get some advice as to which rail pass to buy. I would also like to take some train rides to the mountains from interlaken. Also Travelling to the nearby towns from both interlaken and Zermatt and Luzern.

Appreciate your advice

Arno
Arno
11133 posts
expert &
Sep 7, 2017 - 3:23 PM

Hi Sueycr,

Thanks for joining us here! I'm not sure how many days of the two weeks you'll be in Switzerland, but either an 8- or 15-day Swiss Travel Pass seems like a good idea here. An alternative to look into is the Swiss Half Fare Card. Both passes can be printed at home if you order 3 or more business days in advance, so you can skip the possible queue at the Zurich airport station and go straight to your train. I'd recommend to learn about the details through the pages below, and let us know if any questions remain.

Tickets from Basel (Swiss border) to Stuttgart can be found here: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany

Last modified on Sep 7, 2017 - 3:24 PM by Arno
sueycr
sueycr
5 posts
Sep 7, 2017 - 5:00 PM

Thanks for the advice Arno. Appreciate

sueycr
sueycr
5 posts
Sep 9, 2017 - 6:06 PM

Hi Arno, I'm looking at the Swiss half fare card, wondering if it works best. We land in Zurich on 14/9/17 and take the train to Zermatt. Stay 3 nights and travel the area. Then to interlaken from 17/9 to 21/7 making that the base. 21/9 to 25/9 we go to Luzern , then back to Zurich for 2 nights before proceeding to Stuttgart. What do you think?

Arno
Arno
11133 posts
expert &
Sep 9, 2017 - 8:59 PM in reply to sueycr

Hi Sueycr,

I'm afraid the only way to tell is to do the math as explained in the 3th link of my previous post. If you don't mind buying tickets for all trips the Swiss Half Fare Card is certainly an option, but whether you actually save more money than with a Swiss Travel Pass depends on your day trips. Study the maps of what's included carefully and do the calculations based on all trips you expect to make, and museums you expect to visit (the Swiss Travel Pass includes most museums). All details, including the maps, can be found through the links I gave you.

Last modified on Sep 9, 2017 - 9:00 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018