Which rail pass for Zermatt, Interlaken, Luzern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 6:16:41 #813207

I’m flying into Zurich in mid September from Singaporean I’m Travelling with my Husband. I’ll be taking the train straight to Zermatt , then to Interlaken, then to Luzern and back to Zurich. After that, I’ll be taking a train to Stuttgart, Germany. All done in 2 weeks. I’d like to get some advice as to which rail pass to buy. I would also like to take some train rides to the mountains from interlaken. Also Travelling to the nearby towns from both interlaken and Zermatt and Luzern.

Appreciate your advice

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2017 at 15:23:43 #869564

Hi Sueycr,

Thanks for joining us here! I’m not sure how many days of the two weeks you’ll be in Switzerland, but either an 8- or 15-day Swiss Travel Pass seems like a good idea here. An alternative to look into is the Swiss Half Fare Card. Both passes can be printed at home if you order 3 or more business days in advance, so you can skip the possible queue at the Zurich airport station and go straight to your train. I’d recommend to learn about the details through the pages below, and let us know if any questions remain.

Tickets from Basel (Swiss border) to Stuttgart can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 17:00:08 #869565

Thanks for the advice Arno. Appreciate

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 18:06:39 #869566

Hi Arno, I’m looking at the Swiss half fare card, wondering if it works best. We land in Zurich on 14/9/17 and take the train to Zermatt. Stay 3 nights and travel the area. Then to interlaken from 17/9 to 21/7 making that the base. 21/9 to 25/9 we go to Luzern , then back to Zurich for 2 nights before proceeding to Stuttgart. What do you think?

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 September 2017 at 20:59:23 #869567

Hi Sueycr,

I’m afraid the only way to tell is to do the math as explained in the 3th link of my previous post. If you don’t mind buying tickets for all trips the Swiss Half Fare Card is certainly an option, but whether you actually save more money than with a Swiss Travel Pass depends on your day trips. Study the maps of what’s included carefully and do the calculations based on all trips you expect to make, and museums you expect to visit (the Swiss Travel Pass includes most museums). All details, including the maps, can be found through the links I gave you.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass for Zermatt, Interlaken, Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.