Which rail pass for 12 days Luzern,Murren,Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 4:36:11 #808665

Hello. I will be travelling Switzerland at the end of May for 12 days.

My itinerary is:

• Day 1: Arrive in Zurich early morning. Visit Rhine Falls (Sleep in Zurich)
    • Day 2: Leave Zurich to St.Mortiz. (visit Diavolezza).

Take a train route: St.Moritz – Reichenau – Andrematt – Goschenen – Luzern

(Sleep in Luzern – Luzern will be our base for 3 nights)

• Day 3: To Mt.Pilatus (Or, should I visit Mt.Titlis?)
    • Day 4: To Mt. Rigi
    • Day 5: To Murren (Keep Murren as our base for 3 nights)
    • Day 6 & 7: Jungfraujoch, Gruyeres, Trummeibach Falls, etc…
    • Day 8: To Zermatt (Keep Zermatt as our base for 3 nights)
    • Day 9 & 10: Klein Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, a day trip to Montreux & Lausanne, etc…
    • Day 11: To Bern (Sleep in Bern)
    • Day 12: Train to Zurich airport.

For this itinerary, which travel pass would you recommend us to purchase?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 March 2016 at 11:59:18 #849577

Hi briandmimi, thanks for joining us!

You’ll be traveling a whole lot, and in such as case I definitely recommend a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass as it’s by far the most convenient option. It will cover all regular train, bus and (if you plan any) boat journeys plus urban transportation, and provide a discount to most mountain trips. Rigi is even entirely for free. All information is at our Swiss Travel Pass page. Resellers are listed in the Price section. I’d advise using http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, as they allow you to get a print at home pass without any additional shipping or handling fees. Just pick “Online Ticket” when asked for delivery options.

Just a note on your itinerary: I’m not sure if you’ve already checked traveling times in the timetable. If not, I recommend to do so as some of your plans will result in long day trips. Your plans for day 2 (Zurich-St. Moritz and Diavolezza-Lucerne) are too much in my opinion. I’d skip this trip if I were you and focus on the Zurich or Lucerne regions instead. Most of your other plans are doable. Return journeys Mürren-Gruyères and Zermatt-Montreux/Lausanne are pretty long, but it’s up to you to decide what amount of traveling you’re fine with.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 2:44:12 #849578

Dear Annika,

Thank you very much for your reply. I heard that the train ride from Zurich to St.Moritz through Chur, and the route from Diavolezza to Lucerne are wonderful… Should I skip going to the Rhine Falls and have a day trip to St.Moritz from Zurich on our Day 1?

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 March 2016 at 7:26:30 #849579

Hi briandmimi,

Yes, it’s certainly a beatiful ride, but I feel it’s too long for a day trip from Zurich. Visiting the Rhine Falls and skipping the ride to St. Moritz makes more sense in terms of traveling times. But of course it’s all up to you! Only you and your travel party should decide which trips you want to make. If you definitely want to get to St. Moritz, visiting another mountain top than Diavolezza would reduce traveling times. Muottas Muragl or Piz Nair are closer to St. Moritz and thus require less additional train rides, but make sure to check if they operate when you’re there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 15:55:58 #849580

Thank you very much, Annika!

Originally, I planned to go to Piz Nair, but I found out that only Diavolezza is opened during my time of visit…

• The thread ‘Which rail pass for 12 days Luzern,Murren,Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.