Which Swiss Rail Pass to choose

• chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 May 2015 at 7:22:31 #807203

HI

Based upon my following itinerary, which Swiss rail pass to choose? Swiss Travel Pass Or Swiss Travel Pass Flex Or Swiss Half Fare Card? Which one will be lesser price?

Day 1-Travel Zurich to Lucerne

Day 2 – Lucerne- Local Site seeing

Day 3-Lucerne-Golden Round Trip Mt. Pilatus

Day 4 Lucerne- Round Trip to Mt .Titlis

Day 5 – Travel Lucerne to Interlaken-Golden Pass Line

Day 6 – Interlaken-Jungfrau Round Trip Day

Day 7 – Travel Interlaken to Zermatt; Trip to Matterhorn Gandola

Day 8 – Round trip Glacier Express Zermatt to Chur

Day 9 – Zermatt to Zurich Airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 May 2015 at 7:44:38 #842964

Hi chhabrahk,

Welcome, and thanks for your question! I would choose the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, and use it on day 2 to 9. If you travel to Lucerne in the morning of day 2 that trip would be included as well. The only way to make 100% sure this is the cheapest option, is to do the math as explained here. In your case you can get a Swiss Travel Pass through raileurope-gcc.com/pass/swiss-pass. Be sure to also order along the Glacier Express reservations.

I would recommend to reconsider your plan for day 8. It takes nearly 5 hours to get back from Chur to Zermatt, and you will even pass through Zurich, which is your destination for the next day. You’ll have a much better experience if you stay on the Glacier Express to St. Moritz, spend the night there, and travel to Zurich on day 9.

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 May 2015 at 8:23:24 #842965

[quote]Arno said:

Hi chhabrahk,

Welcome, and thanks for your question! I would choose the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, and use it on day 2 to 9. If you travel to Lucerne in the morning of day 2 that trip would be included as well. The only way to make 100% sure this is the cheapest option, is to do the math as explained here. In your case you can get a Swiss Travel Pass through raileurope-gcc.com/pass/swiss-pass. Be sure to also order along the Glacier Express reservations.

I would recommend to reconsider your plan for day 8. It takes nearly 5 hours to get back from Chur to Zermatt, and you will even pass through Zurich, which is your destination for the next day. You’ll have a much better experience if you stay on the Glacier Express to St. Moritz, spend the night there, and travel to Zurich on day 9.

[/quote]

Thanks! for the response. I will try to re-adjust my program accordion to your advise.

Furthermore I have a query:

By using Swiss travel pass the Excursions to Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis, Jungfraunch, Materhorn, Glacier Express, Golden Pass line, Mt Rigi, and other major attractions are cost free? If No, what would be the discount?

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 May 2015 at 9:18:45 #842966

You’re welcome! The discounts on excursions can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity. In short: excursions are 50% discounted, except for Mount Rigi (free), Golden Pass (free), Glacier Express (free, except for the seat reservations) and Jungfraujoch (free until Wengen/Grindelwald, 25% off beyond these villages). Town to town trains, buses and boats are all free.

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 May 2015 at 10:21:24 #842967

[quote]Arno said: You’re welcome! The discounts on excursions can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity. In short: excursions are 50% discounted, except for Mount Rigi (free), Golden Pass (free), Glacier Express (free, except for the seat reservations) and Jungfraujoch (free until Wengen/Grindelwald, 25% off beyond these villages). Town to town trains, buses and boats are all free.[/quote]

Thanks! a lot Arno!

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 May 2015 at 11:04:40 #842968

[quote]chhabrahk said:

[quote]Arno said: You’re welcome! The discounts on excursions can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity. In short: excursions are 50% discounted, except for Mount Rigi (free), Golden Pass (free), Glacier Express (free, except for the seat reservations) and Jungfraujoch (free until Wengen/Grindelwald, 25% off beyond these villages). Town to town trains, buses and boats are all free.[/quote]

Thanks! a lot Arno!

[/quote]

Hi Amro

What is your opinion if i take glacier express on Day-9; up to Chur and onward journey from Chur to Zurich in other train to reach destination -Zurich!

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 May 2015 at 4:35:51 #842969

Hi chhabrahk,

That allows you to stay an extra day in Zermatt, which is worth it. Just one night is really short, and you risk not seeing the mountains if it happens to be bad weather during the few hours you’re there. So yes, it’s a good idea to stay longer.

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    15 May 2015 at 16:32:45 #842970

Hi

based upon my tour program, can you pl suggest me type of clothes required? As this is my first travel to Switzerland I am not very clear on clothing to be carried. I have seen in some forums talking about layers of clothes but as my plan is to visit mountains and Zermatt , can you specify what clothing required? Warm or …

Annika
    7121 posts
    16 May 2015 at 10:14:37 #842971

Hi chhabrahk! I’m not sure in which season you intend to travel, and that matters greatly. In any case, if visits to mountain tops are involved you will need warm clothing, like a fleece sweater and warm jacket. Dressing in layers is wise indeed. This page provides further tips.

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    16 May 2015 at 11:04:31 #842972

Hi annika

thanks for your response and advise. I am traveling to Switzerland in June third week onwards and intend to visit Lucerne Interlaken and Zermatt with all mountain excursions included.

regards

hement

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    18 May 2015 at 8:37:39 #842973

Hi

By holding Swiss travel pass , are the excursions to mount Pilatus, mount Titlis and Mattterhorn in Zermatt are free?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    18 May 2015 at 8:53:17 #842974

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity will show you where your Swiss Travel Pass is valid and where there are discounts. There’s also a downloadable map which gives you even more information.

Have a nice trip!

chhabrahk
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 June 2015 at 10:59:19 #842975

Hi

Can I take my luggage in the Glacier express panoramic train (Zermatt to Chur) as I ahve to travel to Zurich on the same day to catch return flight? Is there any extra charge on the luggage ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2015 at 17:24:45 #842976

Sure, you can take luggage at no extra charge. Or you can send it ahead to Zurich and collect it there. Please see here for the options.

• The thread ‘Which Swiss Rail Pass to choose’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.