About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Which trains not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Which trains not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Amundsen007
Amundsen007
2 posts
Feb 15, 2021 - 5:35 AM

When reading about the Swiss travel pass it seems some privately owned trains are not covered. What particular trains would not be covered cost wise by the Swiss travel pass to any degree which are used for popular mountain excursions? I’m having a hard time deciding which pass to buy. The Swiss half price pass or the Swiss travel pass. However it is my understanding that some places don’t cover these private trains at all. Is that true? I’m planning on spending about eight days in Switzerland. I plan to visit Mt. Rigi, Burgenstock, Schilthorn, the Matterhorn, Mt.Pilatis, Trummelbach falls, Mt.Titlis, the Skywalk, and the Jungfrau. For some of these excursions it seemed that Lucerne would be a place to stay for a base camp if you will. For the others it seems Interlocken would be a good base camp for visiting them. So my plan is to split up my time approximately equally between the two cities. Any suggestions ?

Anna
Anna
1021 posts
top member &
Feb 15, 2021 - 8:24 AM in reply to Amundsen007

Hi Amundsen007,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card are valid on most trains and mountain railways in Switzerland, and certainly at those places you mentioned. Take note that the Swiss Travel Pass in general provides unlimited travel on most public transport network run by the SBB and gives you up to 50% discounts on some private mountain railways and cable cars. You can get more details about the respective travel pass from the links below, including a validity map for each (at the table menu, please click on Where It's Valid).

A practical guide to help you choose which travel pass to buy: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Based on your plan, Lucerne and Interlaken certainly seemed like good base options. If you are still looking for accommodation, these links may be useful:

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anna

Arno
Arno
14431 posts
expert &
Feb 15, 2021 - 2:16 PM

Hello Amundsen007,

The main take away from Anna's reply is the validity maps she mentioned:

You don't need to consider the type of rail company (private, federal, etc) at all. Simply check the routes on the map. Any train on those routes is included (either for free or discounted, depending on the pass you'll have).

Enjoy the rides!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021