Zermatt alternative in case of bad weather

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 5:26:51 #807701

I am leaving Milan for Zermatt on 8/21 and then I am staying in Wengen for two nights beginning the 23rd. If the weather forecast looks bad for Zermatt can you recommend another option before I get to Wengen? I am traveling with my wife and it’s out frist time in Switzerland. We have a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. Thank you very much for any suggestions!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 August 2015 at 6:46:46 #845064

Hi gnapes!

Have you actually planned an overnight stay in Zermatt? In that case the alternative shouldn’t be too far away I guess, as you don’t want to spend too much time on traveling. You will have to accept some traveling time though, because you’ll have to get out of the valley first. If weather in Zermatt is bad, you do have a change of better circumstances down in the Rhone valley, especially in the western part of it. Consider towns like Brig, Sion and Martigny, or even Montreux along Lake Geneva. They’re very different from Zermatt though, being larger towns and not mountain resorts. Another beautiful mountain resort is Saas-Fee, but if weather in Zermatt is bad, it most probably will be in Saas-Fee too.

Do pay close attention to weather forecasts and check local circumstances, as these may vary significantly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2015 at 15:28:22 #845065

Thank you for your suggestions. No I do not have a hotel reserved yet. I’m waiting until next week to book a room when I have a better idea of the weather forecast. Does that change your suggestions? Thank you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2015 at 16:39:48 #845066

<<” 7posts: new memberAug 6, 2015 – 3:28 PMThank you for your suggestions. No I do nothave a hotel reserved yet. I’m waiting until next week to book a roomwhen I have a better idea of the weather forecast. Does that change yoursuggestions? Thank you!”>>

I hope that you have no trouble finding a room. August is high season, and mountain resorts are busy.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 August 2015 at 7:44:32 #845067

If you want, we can provide suggestions for accommodation once you’ve picked a town. Just let us know your budget and any other preferences to narrow down the choice.

• The thread ‘Zermatt alternative in case of bad weather’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.