Zermatt in the rain – best activities?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 0:11:39 #816192

I’m going to be in Zermatt next week. Two nights, but really only one full day – arrive late one night and then leave on the Glacier Express the second day.

Weather forecast is rain, but I’ve read that can fluctuate quite a bit.

If it is, in fact, raining the whole day, is it still worth taking the Gornergrat Railway up the mountain? Or is it a hopeless cause? I don’t mind not seeing the Matterhorn if there’s still fun to be had on the ride and at the upper station.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 12:28:34 #886163

I’d probably go up myself. You never know how the weather will change, especially once you are up top (especially if you think the train ride would be enjoyable regardless).

Webcams for Gornergrat are your best bet before you go: https://www.zermatt.ch /en/Webcams/Gornergrat -3-089-m

If it is raining though and the Matterhorn is clouded in pretty good you may want to save your money.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 May 2018 at 18:22:41 #886164

Hej !

Amen to Lucas’ advice. And this applies to all the mountain touristic sites. Fortunately there are many webcams in Switzerland, and so you can see real-time conditions in a great number of places, and not just on the tops of mountains.

• The thread ‘Zermatt in the rain – best activities?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.