Zermatt-Munich: Saver Day Pass + ticket to Munich?

• Kimber
    Participant
    10 posts
    2 May 2023 at 22:44:55 #829746

Hello, first let me say thank you to 1960man and Yolanda for helping me with the Saver Day Pass info. I have all of my travel tickets purchased but my return is a little confusing. I will be traveling from Zermatt – Munich Germany, I purchased the Saver day pass for my travel through Switzerland but this is where I stopped because I was not sure how I should go about purchasing the ticket to continue to Munich Germany.

My question is:

Do I need to exit the train to purchase another ticket? Or is it possible to continue on the same train even though I am not sure of the arrival time at the boarder, nor am I sure at what part of the boarder I would arrive at. I’m not to concerned about purchasing the ticket at the moment but I would like to know how to go about getting the ticket.

Thank you

-Kimber

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2023 at 23:55:02 #954024

As I often mention in threads on this site, there is never any need to get off an international train crossing a border between countries in Western Europe. All you need is a valid ticket for the section of line you are traversing

I recommend you buy online from German railway.

http://www.bahn.com

The German Railway journey planner was the first in the world (European railway journey planners were devised by students at Karlsruhe university) and is still the ‘original and best’ for all European rail travel not just Germany

Travelling to Munich, you will exit Switzerland at St Margrethen. That is in fact the border with Austria as you pass through a small part of Austria before reaching the German border at Lindau.

Therefore you should input St Margrethen to Munchen in the bahn.com site

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    3 May 2023 at 6:03:40 #954025

Hello Kimber,

Thank you!

That’s great you have secured a Saver Day Pass for the Swiss portion of your trip 🙂

That’s right, all you need now, is the ticket from the Swiss border (in your case, St. Margrethen) to Munich. You can stay onboard the train, no need to alight when you are crossing the border from Switzerland.

You can read more about it here and there is also a list of points of sale in the “price” tab.

You can also use the timetable link to plan your schedule: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Zermatt-Munich: Saver Day Pass + ticket to Munich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.