Zurich-Grindelwald-Lucerne-Zurich-Paris March 1-9

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 1:02:27 #819814

I’ve spent hours reading all the reports, such a wonderful source of information. Was hoping I could ask for any advice or opinions on our current plans before we book hotels and trains. 3 adults and one teen wanting to see as much as we can. Mainly interested in hitting the highlights and mountains of Switzerland.

• March 2nd, Fly into Zurich early morning, spending the night here.
    • March 3rd, Depart Zurich by train to Grindenwald to see cable car, cliff walk, Jungfrau. Spending the night here.
    • March 4th, Depart for Lucerne to see Lake Luzern, Chapel Bridge, Old Town, Nine Towers, Water Tower. (We’ve heard there is a festival on 3/5?)
    • March 5th, tour Mt Pilatus then return to Zurich.
    • March 6th, Depart Zurich for Paris for two nights, returning to Zurich on March 8th,
    • March 9, leave Zurich and fly home to Mobile, Alabama ;(

We are wondering if we are trying to do too much in 7 days. Possibly excluding Paris and concentrating on Switzerland. Maybe doing a glacier train ride? Our base will be Zurich as we have friends to stay with there for the week but we are flexible and willing to stay overnight anywhere. Any advice would be appreciated. Of course we are looking at purchasing rail passes as well. thanks so much in advance for any suggestions…………

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 February 2019 at 3:02:19 #903710

Hi GeoffTyn-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

You have planned a possible but very busy schedule. In some cases, such as day 2, you will have very little time to actually see anything as you ride by or through it. And, as you noted, you will not likely be able to do it all from Zürich.

This will help you plan trip times, and the map will give you a sense of the locations.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/

map.search.ch/?pos=641849,165664&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

Why not slow down a bit and spend more time absorbing the atmosphere and sights? And, because seeing the high Alps is dependent on good weather, it is better to allow a few days, rather than one, in the high Alpine regions. The weather can change frequently and rapidly.

By the way, when I saw your title, I was impressed that you were planning already for next year. Then I realized that you were from the US, as I am. In European terms you’re a planning for 1/3 through 9/3. It trips me up all the time, too, since I live in the Constitution State.

Time of year –

Spring has barely begun at lower altitudes in early April. At high altitudes, Winter is still very much present. Although the ski season is pretty much over at high altitudes, and many hotels, restaurants, and tourist services are shutting down in the first week s of April for a between seasons break, some important transport and facilities are open.

You should be there when the cableways up to Schilthorn are running. Here is informations from the site page on Schilthorn:

<<“The cable car does not operate from 12 November to 7 December 2018, 23 to 26 April 2019 and 11 November to 6 December 2019. Please check again later for further dates.”>>

You’ll have better chances at lower altitudes, but April can still be rainy and cloudy.. Cannot predict for sure, but there tends to be a lot of rain in April.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

The towns such a Luzern and Bern will be a good option.

Are you experienced with jet-lag that can occur on the first day or days when you arrive from the USA? Most of us who experience it tend to take it easy for the first day or two. The exception being to get physically tired…walking etc., on arrival day, and stay up as late as possible…9 PM or later- or else you’ll wake up at 3 AM ( 9AM US East Cast time) , won’t be able to go back to sleep, and your first days will find you fighting jet lag.

At least, that is my experience.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 18:21:14 #903711

Hi Geoff, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think Slowpoke has already given you some wonderful and detailed advice, specially on being jetlagged (catches me every time!).

I understand your wish to see as much as possible whilst you are here, however looking at your itinerary you will be seeing some of the most iconic sites in Switzerland so I wouldn’t worry too much!

If I were you, I would certainly skip Paris – nothing against this beautiful city however by staying in Switzerland you would take advantage of your travel pass AND not have too much travel time (Paris is on the wrong side of your Zurich base if you get what I mean).

A better idea would be to visit something North or East of Zurich like the Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen, Lake Constance (Bodensee in German), St Gallen, just spending some time in Zurich and surroundings or spacing your itinerary out a bit more as suggested previously.

Here are some links that might be helpful:

Have fun planning your trip!

Maria.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 February 2019 at 20:28:45 #903712

An alternative to a train ride to Paris – http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express-offers/bernina-express-circular-tour#overview. You don’t need to take the actual Bernina Express, you can do it in regular trains for free with a Swiss Travel Pass. You can go as far or as little south as you like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2019 at 19:33:20 #903713

Thank you all so much for your replies. We decided against Paris on this trip and appreciate the reminders about jet lag. We have modified our plans based on your advice to the following:

Saturday, March 2, 2019 – Arrive in Zurich with Swiss Rail Pass, purchasing in advance from USA. We have a place to stay in Zurich for the week at no cost, with friends.

Sunday, March 3, 2019 – travel to Grindenwald area for 2 nights in hotel. With travel pass in mind, what is the best use of our time here, definitely including Jungfraujoch? I’ve watched some incredible videos on youtube of how to navigate between mountains and back down but not sure the best routes to take or the best area for reasonably priced hotel for 4.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 – travel by train to back to Lucerne for 1 night at the jailhotel (a must for the teen with us). We are here for the Lucerne carnival on this day.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 – Lake and Mt. Pilatus then train back to Zurich.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 – Train to Titlis or Rigi for the day. Was leaning towards Rigi as it is included in our Swiss travel pass?

Friday – March 8, 2019 – We are open for suggestions here as we fly out Saturday morning at 10:30am. Bernina Express by Swiss Travel Pass?

Many thanks for your help so far. I visited Lucerne and Mt Pilatus last when I was 18 and I’m 53 now so this will be a wonderful return to the area. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2019 at 21:40:32 #903714

<<“reasonably priced hotel for 4”>>

It is ski season. Prices go up in ski season.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2019 at 22:19:33 #903715

thanks, prices I have seen seem reasonable for a decent place. 250-300. wont be in the room much I wouldn’t think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 8:17:16 #903716

Hi Geoff,

Rigi is indeed included on the Swiss Travel Pass. See here for all inclusions and discounts offered on the STP: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity and to buy it online and have it emailed to you before you leave for Switzerland, find options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

The Bernina Express can work as a day trip from Zurich but it is a long day (Chur to Tirano is 4 hours one-way) http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

St. Gallen and the Appenzell area are quite nice as well. I made a round-trip from Zurich once last year coming back via Arth-Goldau on the Voralpen Express. Read about my trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gallen-voralpen-express-from-zurich

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 16:39:07 #903717

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 16:39:02 #903718

We will be there one week from tomorrow and are so excited and prepared based on information received from this site. Thank you all so much. We will be visiting Jungfraujoch, Lucerne, Pilatus, Rigi, and Titlis. We have a hotel in Wilderwil for 2 nights, Lucerne for 1 night, and Zurich for the rest of the week Other than the tourist activities we won’t be doing any hiking on our own. One lingering question, as we pack..

Would you recommend waterproof hiking BOOTS or are waterproof hiking SHOES?

Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2019 at 17:02:57 #903719

Hi Geofftyn –

<<“Would you recommend waterproof hiking BOOTS or are waterproof hiking SHOES? “>>

It is not clear from your posts how much actual hiking you will be doing. It could affect the recommendation. At this time of year, some high trails are groomed…. maybe the one from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, for example, but I’m not really sure which ones. And, even low altitude trails can be slippery from ice and snow.

So, you’ll want to consider that and the amount of time that you will actually have for hiking.

That said, my own preference is for boots, in any season. Avoid twisted ankles if you slip. Others say rugged hiking/walking shoes with grippy soles are OK. I’m not much of an athlete, so I need all the help I can get, and always wear boots.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 18:46:12 #903720

Good sound advice. Many thanks

• The thread ‘Zurich-Grindelwald-Lucerne-Zurich-Paris March 1-9’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.