Zurich, Luzern, Lauterbrunnen, Geneva trip report

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 12:11:11 #823404

Had a wonderful 8 day trip from 30th July to 6th August. I would like to thank the moderators and members for providing valuable information about Switzerland before going. Their help with answering my questions was invaluable.

2 nights in Zurich– On day 1 we went to the Rhine Falls and back to Zurich where we wandered the town for the evening. Next day got train to Elm and did the Tschinglen Alp Expedition. Involved getting a cable car up mountain and then we walked around for a few hours and then got cable car back down. We were lucky as we got a fab clear day so the views around were really nice. Later that evening we came back to Zurich and did a boat trip around lake Zurich which was lovely.

On day 2 we traveled from Zurich to Chur and Chur to Versam – Safien where we hiked around the Ruinaulta. Nice river/forest walks (some paths are uphill and tough if the day is warm, but there are different paths you can choose. Can get off at different train stations and walk from one station to the other if you want. We got off at Iianz and walked around there for a while. I did find that at some of these small stations it was not clearly signposted where the walks were so always ask, as we missed out on one walk as we didn’t know it was there (this was at the station Valendas Sagogn, and it’s adjacent to the train tracks). We then got a train back to Zurich and on to Luzern (as we had to travel via Zurich we left our luggage at hotel and just picked it up on the return trip (so we didn’t have to pay for storage at the train station).

2 nights in Luzern. We did Mount Rigi, which was a boat trip, train ride and then cable car (but had a choice between Titlis, Rigi or Pilatus and just chose Rigi). Unfortunately it rained really heavy all day and was really cloudy on the mountain but we went up anyway as we knew we wouldn’t have time to do it another day. It was Swiss National Day so there was loads of fireworks that night so we sat out and had a few drinks along by the waters edge with hundreds of others. Wandered around town the next day for a few hours (lovely place) and then moved on. We did think of going to Mt Pilatus but didn’t want to rush it and decided to chill out and wander the lovely town instead before heading to Lauterbrunnen.

2 nights in Lauterbrunnen. Got cable car up to Murren, Birg and Schilthorn (all the one place just next to each other). Loved it. Got fab weather so amazing views. There is a James Bond Experience in Schilthorn which was fun. Nice mini like interactive museum as one of the old bond movies was shot up here. Next day we were going to go to the Jungfrau region/mountain but decided not to (another mountain, another cable car but we had done several already and it was very expensive (I think half price with the Swiss Travel Pass but still expensive). Instead we went off on a hike around Lauterbrunnen. We followed the route taking us around the waterfalls (again would probably be more impressed in winter when the volume of water would be greater, but besides the waterfalls the countryside walk was lovely). Went to Wengen that evening and walked around and chilled with some wine.

1 night in Geneva. Didn’t do much in Geneva except wander around the town. Felt like a different country as everyone was speaking French (instead of Swiss/German).

After seeing it I would in hindsight have skipped the Rhine Falls. Lovely and all but I have seen more impressive (like Niagra falls) and I suppose it was summer so the flow of water might be more spectacular in winter. I also didn’t give Geneva much of a chance but we were flying out of there so had to go there.

Out of everything we did I loved the Lauterbrunnen area. It’s beautiful countryside for simple flat easy walks to do.There are plenty of other towns nearby to get to. You can get a train to take you to different towns or you can walk between them. You can go easily up to Murren, Brig and Schilthorn. You can hike up/down these mountains if you want to. There are lovely restaurants around (expensive like everywhere in Switzerland). This region is just a beautiful area.

Out of everything we did it was all free with the Swiss Travel Pass except the cable car up to Tschinglen Alp Expedition (which was only I think 18CHF return). We really wanted to go to Zermatt but ran out of time. Also wanted to see the Chateau de Chillion near Geneva but didn’t have time.

Switzerland was simply amazing and I will definitely be going back, if not next year then the year after without a doubt.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 13:33:21 #920099

Hi MaureenG,

thanks for sharing your experiences in Switzerland, it will be useful for other travelers too. The Lauterbrunnen area is completely wonderful. It is also true, that the German, Italian and French parts of the country are so lovely different; it makes the whole even more interesting.

I am happy you enjoyed your holiday and come back next summer. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 15:49:28 #920100

Good to know about Rhine Falls. We are going in September and I was wondering if it would be worth going at that time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2019 at 2:55:11 #920101

Hi Jenloitz,

We did the Rhein Falls including boat ride in July and it was stunning…I can’t tell you about September but what I can say is It’s not just about the size of the falls. It’s such a beautiful area to explore with plenty of walks also. I went with my grandaughter of 24 and I am three times that age and we both loved the falls and the vibe…. well worth a visit in my opinion.

Enjoy it all,

Cheers Jacqui Australia

• The thread ‘Zurich, Luzern, Lauterbrunnen, Geneva trip report’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.