Zurich to Rhine Falls by train

• sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    15 May 2018 at 4:31:56 #815975

Experts

I am trying to find train to rhein fall. Do I just go to Stein Am Rhein? Any places close to the falls that I can visit which are closeby?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 May 2018 at 4:48:09 #885207

You will find out all about getting to the Rhine Falls here. Continuing on to Stein am Rhein is often mentioned as a possible addition to turn the excursion into a day trip from Zurich.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel.

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    15 May 2018 at 5:40:05 #885208

Thanks Rockoyster. I looked at the time table and i am unable to find rhine falls there as an option.

Also, a tangential question, if I give lauterbrunnen to schilthorn, no results comeup on SBB.

The pilatus golden round trip, I am not getting option to choose boat. I tried advanced trip but in vain.

Appreciate all the help.

Thx

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 May 2018 at 6:37:12 #885209

For the Pilatus Golden Route you will find boat timetables here. You want Luzern Bahnhofquai to Alpnachstad (See) or the other way round.

Did you work out from my earlier Rhine Falls Link that you need to get a train to either ‘Neuhausen Rheinfall’ or ‘Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall’?

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    15 May 2018 at 16:45:23 #885210

Thanks Rockoyster. Now I see that option. So I have few questions on these confused itenaries I have. I am planning to buy swiss pass 8 days. (not HFC)

1) Zurich to Rhine falls and Stane am Rhein (might also do Konstantz if time permits). Now, with the above info you gave, do I need to separately book anything? I want to make sure I catch proper trains, boats and I am getting confused on how it will line up, where should I get down to catch the boat or train etc.. Which route to take for return trip? which side is best to sit at each leg for good views?

2) Golden route to Pilatus. Again the same as above, how do I know which train to take, where to get down, how to go to the glass factory, how do I come back and take either train or boat again? Also, while coming back which route to take? which side is best to sit for good views?

3) Same as above for schilthorn

4) Same as above for Jungfrau

5) To paris from lauterbrunnen, taking golden pass line. which route should I take? ie I take my luggages with me. So should I go to Interlaken, take golden pass to Montreaux, then to geneva and to paris on TGV? Also, how do I book this itenary? ie how do I choose each leg?

6) Do I need to reserve seats? If yes, which legs/ itenary is important for us to book seats?

I want to make use of my pass on all legs/itenary. And many thanks to patiently answering my questions. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Appreciate everyones help in this regard.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 18:33:43 #885211

Hi sreraku,

1. You don’t need to book anything in advance. Please use the Swiss railway / SBB timetable that rockoyster has given you.
    2. Read the information on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus.
    3. http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere.
    4. http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e.
    5. You should go Interlaken to Montreux via Zweisimmen. And then from Montreux you continue your trip to Geneva and Paris. Your trip in Switzerland is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You need to by a point-to-point ticket from Geneva to Paris. More information about the Golden Pass line can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass.
    6. There is no need to reserve seats except for the leg Geneva – Paris.
    sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    15 May 2018 at 19:51:18 #885212

Thanks Chantal for the note. The problem I see is

1) In SBB, it doesnt give me option for boat ride (for example golden route to pilatus). It shows only trains/buses (even in advanced search)

2) you are suggesting that, once I have the pass, on the day I have to go for example rhine falls, I just look at the timetable and catch a train correct? (ofcourse it doesnt give me the route with boat etc.. which I guess have to manually setup myself to get down at alpnach, take a boat and get down in between for glass factory etc..)

Also for the lauterbrunnen to montreux, I just pick the trains, get onto them. At montreux, again take a train to Geneva and from there use the ticket that I buy for TGV to go to paris. correct?

BTW, from montreux, is going through Geneva the best and short route?

Thanks once again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 May 2018 at 22:22:53 #885213

1. The link I gave you earlier provides the boat timetables but you should be able to use the SBB timetable by de-selecting all modes of transport apart from Ship in advanced search.

2. You need to use the SBB timetable to work out which train to catch. It will tell you which platform the train leaves from and the departure and arrival times. With a Swiss Travel Pass you just hop on and go. Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel?

The Glass Factory is a Hergiswil. The boat to Alpnachstad stops there.

The SBB Timetable will give you the fastest routes from Montreux to Paris.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 4:04:02 #885214

>> 1) In SBB, it doesnt give me option for boat ride (for example golden route to pilatus). It shows only trains/buses (even in advanced search)

You need to do one search for the boat – Luzern to Alpnachstad (See) – using the method described by rockoyster, and a separate search for the cogwheel train (Alpnachstad PB to Pilatus Kulm). When you do the search for the cogwheel train, make sure you don’t still have it set to search for boats only.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 May 2018 at 4:33:51 #885215

One more thing sreraku. If you get off the boat at Hergiswil to visit the Glass Factory you don’t have to wait for the next boat. You can catch a train from Hergiswil to Alpnachstad.

See attached map.

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    16 May 2018 at 4:47:11 #885216

Thanks Alpen, Rockoyster.

BTW, i am going from Hergiswil to pilatus as part of golden route

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    16 May 2018 at 20:56:34 #885217

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I did fare calculations and see that two half fare cards for myself and my wife along with two family cards to get free tickets for my 9 yr old and 12 yr old is the best choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 0:43:28 #885218

The math never lies. 🙂 Happy travels!

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    17 May 2018 at 4:01:49 #885219

You bet 🙂

Thanks

• The thread ‘Zurich to Rhine Falls by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.