Zurich – Zermatt – Andermatt – St Anton

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2015 at 23:09:54 #806863

We are planning this trip for late February and had been thinking about getting the Switzerland – Austria Pass. We figured we may also throw an extra day trip in at some point making the pass more useful.

Couple questions

Zermatt – Andermatt – If we get this pass can we go on the Glacier Express or does this cost more?

Also, are there other trains from Zermatt to Andermat besides the Glacier Express? If there are, is it a big mistake to NOT go on the Glacier Express? Is it the same route? Curious to know what you all suggest

Thanks

Andrew

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 February 2015 at 12:44:25 #841695

Hello arider39,

The Eurail Austria-Switzerland Pass does not cover the Glacier Express route between Zermatt and Andermatt. You do get a 25% discount though. There are other trains on the same route too. The fare is the same for all trains, except that you need to pay for a seat reservation for the Glacier Express. The other trains don’t need to be booked in advance. If you don’t take the Glacier Express, you need to change in Brig and miss the panoramic windows and commentary. It’s not a big mistake to take a regular train. The scenery is the same. See here for all Glacier Express details please.

Please note that the Eurail Pass does not include as much as the Swiss rail passes. The pages below help you to compare the passes and to make a choice. It really depends on your trip details which pas would be best. Be sure to download the network maps from our pass pages to see what’s covered in detail:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2015 at 19:19:32 #841696

Thanks this is great information.

I see online at SBB that tickets are currently 50%, it seems to make more sense to just buy individual tickets at this price.

1. Are they always 50% off online?

2. Could I just book day of and get 50%?

3. If I need to purchase them in advance, do they need to ship the ticket to me in Canada, or can I just get a mobile ticket?

Thanks

Andrew

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 February 2015 at 9:42:47 #841697

Hi Andrew,

Which offer are you referring to? If you post the page (URL) I can have a look. Do you mean the Supersaver tickets perhaps, which are explained here? Be sure to check the special conditions. Such tickets are only available for particular routes (I have never seen them for the Glacier Express route), and particular trains. I you miss that train your ticket is not valid for other trains. You’re not flexible with such tickets, so for most people it’s not the best choice. If you’re very sure about a particular train and if you don’t have a rail pass, you can save money though. Without a pass, I think the maximum savings are 40%.

1. No, that’s an exception as explained above.

2. If you always want 50% off the ticket prices, you’d better buy a Swiss Half Fare Card. Then you can get reduced tickets all the time, for all routes.

3. There are e-tickets available, but regular tickets (e.g. with a Swiss Half Fare Card) don’t need to be booked in advance. You can get them at the station. Only seat reservations need to be purchased in advance. Only a few trains require them, such as the Glacier Express.

I hope this makes sense!

• The thread ‘Zurich – Zermatt – Andermatt – St Anton’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.