How to get there & route details
How to travel to Olten, and walking route details.
How to get there and back
Olten is centrally located in northern Switzerland. It can easily be reached by train from Basel, Bern, Lucerne, Zurich and many other places. This walking tour starts and ends at the train station. Be sure to look into passes that may come in handy for this day trip and your other activities in Switzerland. Olten can be reached by car as well.
Section 1: from the train station to the Munzingerplatz
You can find the route on the map on this page. We offer detailed street by street directions as well:
- Exit the train station via the underpass and turn left;
- Take the lower path along the river Aare until you reach the old bridge ('Alte Brücke'). The bridge dates back to 1295 and suffered from several fires;
- Cross the bridge and keep walking straight ahead through the Hauptgasse;
- You'll reach the Munzingerplatz (a square) with the St. Martin church on the right. Walk straight ahead into the Kirchgasse, until you reach a small square after 100 m;
- Turn right, and cross another square until you reach the Konradstrasse;
- Turn right into the Konradstrasse and turn right into the Baslerstrasse after passing the St. Martin church. You're now back at the Munzingerplatz.
Section 2: from the Munzingerplatz to the train station
- Walk straight ahead into the Mühlegasse;
- Turn left just before the river, then immediately left again into the alley called 'Oberer Graben';
- After 75 m, turn right into the Hauptgasse;
- After 20 m, turn right into the Marktgasse. You'll reach the city tower ('Oltner Stadtturm'), which was built in 1521;
- Pass the tower and immediately turn left in to the Hauptgasse. Then turn left and immediately turn right. This street is still called Hauptgasse;
- At the end of the street turn right into Fröschenweid;
- Then turn left and keep walking along the river. You'll pass the monastery ('Kapuzinerkloster') on your left. It was founded in 1646;
- Turn right to cross the new bridge. You're now back at the train station.
Download the coordinates here (KML file)