Best of Switzerland, 5 days Geneva to Zurich

• akosijen
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 March 2019 at 16:04:52 #820392

I’m planning a 5 day trip to Switzerland in mid-May for my husband, our 4 year old, and me. The plan is the fly in to Geneva mid morning (Saturday), and end up in Zurich to take a night train to Prague by Thursday.

We are not the biggest hikers; we tend to enjoy going in to towns, eating local foods and learning about culture, but we also love good views. From what I read, one can easily go through the towns in a day, maybe even less. I wanted to make the most of our short stay, but not also be too overwhelming.

Here is what I was thinking:

• Day 1: Arrive Geneva mid-morning, explore and spend the night here so we can rest.
    • Day 2: Morning train to our base, Lauterbrunnen (or maybe Interlaken?) where I’d lake to stay for the next 2 nights and take day trips from here.

*Can we go from Geneva to Montreaux so we can catch the Golden Pass and make our way to Interlaken, and then to Lauterbrunnen? Or should we do that on our way to Lucern?

Trip out to Jungfrau.

• Day 3: Day trip to Gimmelwald, Murren. (maybe see Interlaken if we aren’t staying here)
    • Day 4: Morning Jungfrau, afternoon train to Lucern (spend night here).
    • Day 5: Explore Lucern, and then take a mid-day train to Zurich, explore the city, and then take the night train to Prague.

Questions:

• Are there days where it looks crazy packed, or not packed enough? Where would the best base be per the sites I have listed?
    • We’re not attached to the idea of staying the first night in Geneva or out last night in Lucern. Should we skip Geneva and head straight to Lauterbrunnen? Or should we skip Lucerne, stay another night in Lauterbrunnen, and head straight to Zurich?
    • Is it crazy to carry around roller luggage throughout this whole trip?
    • What would be the most efficient and cost effective train pass for our trip?

I have so much to learn from your website! And I absolutely enjoy reading other people’s experience.

Thanks so much in advance,

Jen

• The thread ‘Best of Switzerland, 5 days Geneva to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.