Suggestions for Bernese Oberland and Lucerne trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2017 at 18:52:23 #810709

Hi! I am new in this forum and would appreciate your help!! After research i have chosen these destinations for my 5 and a half day trip

in my plan for mid August!!

we are a couple in our 30s who like old towns and nature!

I am flying from prague to switzerland and leaving from zurich airport at the end

First plz recommend on flights from prague to Geneve, the best direct was 150$ on swiss

Are there any cheap airlines that i missed?

Following is my trip plan please let me know ur suggestions!

14 arrive prague

15 prague

16 prague

17 fly to Geneve, train to interlaken then to the hotel destination

(Two nights)

In one of the following please advise on best base? I am open also for a more suitable base

Spa & Hotel Victoria Lauberhorn Dorfstrasse, Wengen

Or

Hotel Châlet Du Lac Schoren, Iseltwald

Or

Apartment Seeblick mit Anbindung an ein 4-Sterne-Hotel, beatenberg

18 tour around lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, wengen, pls advise if this one day trip is recommended

http://www.myswissalps.com/on edayjungfrauregion

19 up to jungfraujoch or slithhorn or to the lakes around or bern if we do the mountain in one day with villages

20 train from interlaken to lucern

Boutique Hotel Weisses Kreuz, Furrengasse 19, Luzern

Or Hotel Rothaus

21 lucern city tour, lucern lake ride, up mount rigi or pilatus (is rigi also free with rail pass)

22 train to zurich, city tour and departure

Based on this travel plan is it better to purchase separate tickets in advance or buy swiss rail/ regional pass?

• Annika
    7127 posts
    2 February 2017 at 13:16:27 #858623

Hi Dimabt, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here are some thoughts and answers:

• please see our flight page for links and suggestions;
    • you may be interested in the Golden Pass route when traveling from Geneva to Interlaken;
    • given your plans for the Jungfrau region, I’d advise the accommodation in Wengen. Iseltwald and Beatenberg require longer journeys to reach the spots you’re interested in. You’d best consult the timetable to plan your trps;
    • the 1 day Jungfrau region trip is definitely recommended if you want to see a lot and don’t mind a longer traveling day;
    • Bern could be combined with a boat trip over Lake Thun;
    • as for Lucerne: the Boutique Hotel is closer to the railway station;
    • yes, Rigi is for free with a Swiss Travel Pass. Please check details at our Swiss Travel Pass validity page and our Rigi tickets page;
    • our Zurich page may be of help.

Now, as for a rail pass: a Swiss Half Fare Card is probably your best bet. However, even an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass may be worth your consideration. Although your stay doesn’t last that long, you’ll be incorporating a long and pretty expensive journey from Geneva to Interlaken. Also, some of the mountains you intend to visit (Rigi, Pilatus, Schynige Platte during the 1 day Jungfrau region tour) will be for free. Only detailed calculations can reveal which option is best. Please find guidelines at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2017 at 8:22:24 #858624

Thanks A lot Annika for the detailed reply! The information you provided is extremely important..

1. Want to ask you regarding the mountains as i fell it would be too much to go to all, which two are more favorable in terms of views, ride and cost: Rigi, Pilatus, jungfraujoch, schilthorn, first?

2. I am really confused maybe even one mountain excursion would be enough?!

3. I can see many people recommending Monteraux, is it worth a stop on the way from Geneve?

4. Regarding the train pass, An option to me is to take a 4 days pass and pay separate for the last two days, as in the last day i have only the lucern to zurich and before last i can only do lake ride.

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 February 2017 at 14:51:55 #858625

Hi Dimabt,

1. First, near Grindelwald, is not really a mountain. It’s a place half way up where most people go to to start hiking. I’d recommend to visit the pages on our website to look into the others as they are all good and it’s really about personal preferences.

Costs depends on routes and the pass you pick. Rigi and Pilatus are free with the Swiss Travel Pass, for example. The last link Annika gave you allows you to do the math and compare your options.

2. I recommend to do more than one if the weather allows. At least one in each region.

3. I assume you mean Montreux. Yes, certainly worth a stop for the boulevard and Chillon Castle, for example. Please see myswissalps.com/montre ux.

4. That could work but you really need to do the math based on your plans. Two days of excursions can be costly without a pass, but without mountain excursions it might be doable. Another option without a pass is to book guided excursions. They don’t require a pass and some are relatively well priced. Links are on all of our attraction pages.

• The thread ‘Suggestions for Bernese Oberland and Lucerne trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.