Best scenic Swiss train rides for a 2-week trip

• Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 June 2021 at 4:28:24 #935320

Hi Steve,

If I was able to do it right, the following links should be my trip reports. A lot of reading, but, hey, a lot of good times…hope you enjoy it. Also, if the links don’t come through, you can find them in the link you put on your reply to me. I believe on pages 9-10 (oct of 2018).

Danielsan

wwuw.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/part-1-of-triip-report

Trip report Grand Train Tour of Switzerland (2)

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-report-grand-train-tour-of-switzerland-ll

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/grand-train-tour-of-switzerland-part-lll

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-report-grand-train-tour-of-switzerland-4

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-report-grand-tour-of-switzeerland-5

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-report-grand-train-tour-of-switzerland-part-6

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-reportgrand-train-tour-of-switzerland-part7

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 June 2021 at 5:26:24 #935321

Hi Amelia,

Just wanted to add, that if you are having any trouble booking the scenic lines due to the short time, this would be a great example/time to just take the local trains. Again, they do travel along the same lines. If you have any concerns, you may consider the 1st class STP (depending on the cost difference) as it may be less crowded than 2nd class during the busy season. Just some food for thought as your booking time may be too short.

Danielsan

Anna
    6390 posts
    29 June 2021 at 5:38:54 #935322

Thank you for your all input Danielsan!

The links you provided are certainly helpful.

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 June 2021 at 6:00:27 #935323

Anna,

Your very welcome. Thank you.

Danielsan

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    29 June 2021 at 14:54:17 #935324

Danielsan,

Just read thru your entire trip. Brought back lots of memories of my trips and gave me ideas on things to check out on my next adventure.

I was familiar with a couple of the hotels you stayed at. It seems that we kinda think a like when it comes to these trips.

I have my airfare booked, and my first and last night booked in Zurich, I have a busy itinerary on my spreadsheet, now just got to finish making reservations.

Steve

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    30 June 2021 at 5:27:29 #935325

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reading, I hope it wasn’t boring. As I said earlier on, I hope you are able to encounter some snow on your train routes. Have fun planning this next adventure.

I also noticed that we stayed in some of the same hotels. I have no reason not to go back to almost all of them. I booked most of them through booking.com and had no problems what so ever. I didn’t need to present any paperwork at all when I was checking in at any of them. Just my passport, and that was it. They did the rest.

Danielsan

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    4 July 2021 at 17:23:00 #935326

Hi Ildiko

Thank you for your info in your last post! really appreciate your help! And Every one’s !!

Since I am free to travel in Switzerland and no need to spend a week in Paris first. I decided to spend all 3 weeks in Switzerland.

I put together an Itinerary as followed: Zurich (2 nights) to St.Gallen (2 nights)

St.Gallen to Lucerne (Voralpen Exp) then Lucerne to Lagano (Gotthard Exp) (2 nights in Lugano)

Lugano to Chun (1 nights) Bernina Exp

Chun to Zermatt (2 nights) Glacier Exp

Zermatt to Brig. then to Bern (3 nights ) Regio Exp

Bern to Lucern (3 nights)

Lucern to Interlaken (3 nights) to Montreux (3 nights ) Golden pass

Montreux to Geneva (1 night)

Not sure if this is too hectic ! I would appreciate your input in how to modify this Itinerary to make it work and enjoyable ! Thank You very much to everyone for your help!

best regards

Amelia

P.S. This will be my second solo trip! Hope it is not too ambitious

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    4 July 2021 at 22:46:38 #935327

Amelia,

I don’t know if you are planning on staying in Interlaken. I prefer Lauterbrunnen or Wengen.

What ever you end up doing I think it is going to be a nice trip.

Steve

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 July 2021 at 0:23:33 #935328

Hi Steve

Thank you for responding to my post . You are right ! I will look for accommodation in the places you suggested or Grindelwald .

Any idea how easy is to travel between towns ?

Amelia

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    5 July 2021 at 1:01:16 #935329

Amelia,

I just made a reservation for Grindelwald for January 2022.

Lauterbrunnen sits in the valley with Wengen sitting up above Lauterbrunnen on one side of the valley and Murren on the other side. Grindelwald is east of Wengen on the other side of the mountain. Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, & Grindelwald are all connected by train. To get to Murren you use the cable car from the Lauterbrunnen valley floor.

I’ve stayed in Lauterbrunnen one time and Wengen two times.

Steve

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 July 2021 at 1:43:09 #935330

Steve

Thank you! You visit Switzerland a lot , you must be very fond of this country and very familiar with this region. what are the top spots that I must visit with a three day stay? Which town should I use as a base in order to visit those locations conveniently?

Amelia

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    5 July 2021 at 3:32:13 #935331

Amelia,

I really do love vacationing in Switzerland. I typically like the scenery with the mountains and rivers and waterfalls. I have lived 52 years in the Houston area where the land is pretty much flat, more concrete than meadows, stagnant water instead of flowing rivers and streams and the heat and humidity along with lack of snow. Switzerland is pretty much the opposite. Taking trains is very convenient while you sit back and enjoy the scenery rolling by.

Rick Steves has a good guide for Switzerland and that is where I started. You can look up each town you are going too and view what there is to see and maybe determine how many days you need to spend in each. The people here on MySwissAlps are very knowledgeable and can help you with the details.

My favorite spots are Zermatt, Wengen, Lucerne, Filisur/Bergün areas and the trains.

You are going to some incredible places, and you are going to have a good time.

I cannot wait to hear about your trip when you return.

If you want to contact me directly, spaulus1 at gmail dot com.

Steve

Anna
    6390 posts
    5 July 2021 at 9:02:13 #935332

Hi Amelia,

It’s wonderful to hear you will be spending all three weeks in Switzerland. For a solo trip I think this itinerary is well-planned and I think you’ll be able to see all the different sides of Switzerland.

Enjoy your trip and let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Anna

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 July 2021 at 14:36:32 #935333

Hi Steve

You are right ! Switzerland is blessed with incredible beauties ! I live 5 minutes walk to Lake Ontario and I stroll down often, but It is not

as pretty as the lakes in Switzerland . I will look up Rick Steve’s site to get some ideas, Thank You for mentioning !

Because there is not much time to prepare, and three weeks is really not enough to know the country well. I am ready to just sort of sample the country with the amazing train rides that I am going to take . I am sure I will visit again .

You have been very generous with your time in answering my queries , Thank You !

Happy traveling 🙂

Amelia

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 July 2021 at 14:43:36 #935334

Thank You:) Anna

I will continue to ask for advice , I have a feeling that I might need to during my trip!

Amelia

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 July 2021 at 17:22:37 #935335

Hi Anna

Help your help , please ! I am planning to take the Bernina Exp from Lugano. (bus) to Tirano to either St. Moritz or Chur . I looked for seat available on July 21 . on Happy Rail I saw from Chur to Lugano route but not the opposite direction. wonder if the Bernina Exp. runs both direction?? If i Could do the route as planned , from south to north, should I stay one night in Chur or St.Moritz before taking the Glacier Exp the next day? Appreciate your input , Thanks

Amelia

Anna
    6390 posts
    5 July 2021 at 18:09:24 #935336

Hi Amelia,

Based on the SBB timetable, there’s a Bernina Express train leaving Tirano for Chur at 08.06 am, and another one at 14.24 pm. The bus from Lugano leaves at 10am and arrives in Tirano at 1300.

If none of these fit your timing, you could alternatively take the Bernina Express train that goes direct to St Moritz. From St Moritz there are various local trains to Chur. Alternatively, it is possible to take the Glacier Express to Zermatt from St Moritz instead of Chur. I think there are 2 Glacier Express trains which depart from St Moritz, one at 08.51 and the other at 09.50. In this case, might be a good idea to spend the night in St Moritz 🙂 You can search for accommodation here: http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/hotels

You can use the SBB timetable to plan your journey.

Regards,

Anna

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 July 2021 at 19:10:39 #935337

Hi Anna

Thank You so much for the info you sent me ,so nice of you to spend the time to check the timetable for me . I hope there are seats available on the Express for July 21 .I will call STC in the morning to buy the travel pass and reserve seat. I decided to stay 2 nights in St.Moritz and booked a hotel already . So look forward to get there , its so beautiful !

I am very grateful for your help and feel more relaxed now:)

Amelia

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    5 July 2021 at 20:01:06 #935338

Hi Amelia,

Looks like a great trip. (Wish I was going along again). If you don’t/can’t get the seat reserved on the bus part to Tirano, you may be able to book it at the rail station at Zurich airport. That’s the first thing I did when I landed. (It was Sept. and probably not as busy as July, but it worked for me.) I also had trouble booking it, even with a travel agent. It does leave Lugano at 1000 hrs, as Anna mentioned. I took the Bernina into St. Moritz from Tirano, which departed at 1400 hrs, an hour layover after the bus arrived. If you do go to St. Moritz, the hotel right up the hill from the train station is beautiful. Waldhaus am see. (I believe Steve stayed there also.) It’s right there where you can check-in and then hit the town.

I know quite a fair amount of people in the forum have preferred staying in Wengen instead of Interlaken. Your choice, obviously, but it is absolutely beautiful there. Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen, while both beautiful in their own right, are more crowded and commercialized from what I have read throughout my time in the forum. It’s only about 13 min. down to Lauterbrunnen, and no more than an hour to Interlaken. Lots to do in the area. LOTS. Try not to be overwhelmed by the amount of things to do/see there. Focus on a few things that really may hold your interest, and go from there. Traveling between town with the STP is as easy as getting on/getting off……once you validate it on your way to Zurich, you’re good to go.

I hope you’re making out alright booking all your hotels. Don’t fret too much if you aren’t having much success booking sights and such, as you can always do it once you’re there. Concentrate on the hotels (if you haven’t already done so).

As far as “must see’s”, depends on your likes and such. In Zermatt, the Gornergrat. In Bernese Oberland, try not to miss Grindelwald, Murren (Schilthorn), and boat rides on the lakes. And Wengen.. Lucerne, lots. Pilatus, Stanserhorn, Titlis, Rigi, boat rides.. You’ll be fine. Bring camera (duh!!) and have a ball!! I too, can’t wait to read about your adventures. (It’s coming up soon!!). Enjoy.

Danielsan

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    5 July 2021 at 21:15:11 #935339

Amelia,

I have done the bus from Tirano to Lugano and it was packed, I ended up on an aisle seat toward the back of the bus and couldn’t see anything.

Last time I tried taking a couple trains from Tirano to Lugano without going into Milan and it was ok but seemed like it took 3 trains to get where I was going.

For my upcoming trip in January, I am thinking I will take the train from Lugano to Milan (1 hr 15 mins with no changing trains) spend the night in Milan at Hotel Berna then next day take the train from Milan to Tirano (2 hr 30 mins with no changing trains).

Tirano is a small town with not much to see or do there so I could see spending 1 night there. I have stayed at the Rooms&Breakfast Tirano listed on Booking.com. The family that runs the hotel/rooms also owns the nice little restaurant on the corner which is where the breakfast is served. I am staying there again in January.

Last couple of times I did the Bernina Express it was from North to South, in January I am doing South to North. First time I took the Glacier Express to Filisur then a couple days later took the short train ride up to Davos for the Bernina Express to Tirano. There is a short hike/path that is maybe 15 minutes from Filisur train station to get to observation area of the Landwasser viaduct. Also in the area there is a nice 3 or 4 mile hike between Bergün and Preda that mostly follows the train route with markers along the way telling of some of the feats the railroad had to overcome while being built. Filisur is small with only a couple hotels, Bergün is a little bigger with a few more choices. Many trains go thru this area so easy to catch a train back and forth.

I have never been to St. Moritz but someday I will make it there.

Steve

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • The thread ‘Best scenic Swiss train rides for a 2-week trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11100 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.