Best scenic Swiss train rides for a 2-week trip

• Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    6 July 2021 at 0:19:34 #935340

Hi Danielsan

Thank You for giving me all those helpful information and advice ! You are saving me a lot of time in doing my research. I wish you were coming too and be my guide 🙂

I tried to make the seat reservation for the Bernina Express on Happy rail , but there was no seating map to select seat and I decided to wait til their office is open to talk to someone about it. Did’t know they charge extra money for reservation ! I was going to stay just one night in either Chur or St. Moritz and I changed my mind after I saw how beautiful St. Moritz is. I booked a pretty nice hotel for 2 nights on the hill for $180/night which really surprised me . I think in normal time that room would easily be 400 plus . I am seriously not complaining though:) Will probably staying in Wengen as both you and Steve recommended .

Even though time is pressing, I found myself more relaxed the last couple of days , am actually enjoying the process of putting my trip together . Thanks to all the wonderful people , you, Steve , Anna and everyone else for contributing invaluable ideas and information!

I shall update the progress

Amelia

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    6 July 2021 at 20:27:08 #935341

Hi Amelia,

You’re welcome. Good for you, I’m glad you’re enjoying the planning phase as well. That was part of the fun for me. Each night after work I would hang out on the computer for hours, and just browse through the places I was going. The anticipation of seeing them live and in person, made it that much more enjoyable when I did finally get there. Keep plugging along.

By the way, (and this goes out to anyone in forum-land, too, that may not be aware), Google Maps has a WEALTH of information. Not just maps. For anyone looking at the (Google) maps (I just happen to love looking at them) zoom in on any city, village, etc. anywhere in the world. There are SO many little icons that appear. (Almost every building). Restaurants, hotels, castles, mountains, etc. Every little icon has something to reveal. All have reviews, info about, time open/close…. Again, a wealth of info. Even clicking on train stations, cable cars, ferry’s, it will even bring up schedules as well. Very interesting. That. and this website kept me busy for those six months leading up to my trip. I knew what bars to go to, some restaurants, sights, and what time they all opened/closed. Give it a go. Play around. Have fun.. Again, a ”world” of info there.

Danielsan

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    6 July 2021 at 21:49:48 #935342

So good to know about the usefulness of Google Map ! It will be of big help! Thank You Danielsan

I reserved my seat on Bernina and Glacier Express on RHB.CH and going to book one for Golden Pass on Goldenpassline. Getting closer and closer to the finish line:)

Amelia

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    6 July 2021 at 23:21:14 #935343

Danielsan, I do the same thing, using Google earth web as well. My “trip” actually starts 8 months before I actually get on the plane as I hover over these maps and explore. I can’t tell you the number of wonderful places I’ve discovered by spotting them on Google earth or Google maps first. This year it’s Rueggisberg. The exploring and anticipation is half the fun. It also helps orient me–when I get off the train I know the basic direction and landmarks to my hotel. I check my bags and then I’m off exploring. I’m in countdown mode, I take off 4 weeks from today!

Amelia, as long as you’re in the Lauterbrunnen area you might want to check out Murren as well. That’s my favorite village.

Laurae

Amtsang
    Participant
    16 posts
    7 July 2021 at 1:06:42 #935344

👍 Laurae

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    7 July 2021 at 22:20:36 #935345

Hi Laurae,

Yes, you sound like me. This is how I discovered so many things I wanted to do in the Bernese Oberland area. The more I looked in maps, the more I saw. I had to stop because there was so much to see. I had absolutely no plans when I got to Wengen, other than to go to the Schilthorn via the Grutschalp hike, and the Granny Walk. I let the weather dictate where I went. Everywhere else I went, I pretty much had a plan for the most part

I hope you have a great trip, and hope you do send a trip report of some kind. Happy trails.

Danielsan

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    7 July 2021 at 22:27:08 #935346

Hi Amelia,

Glad to hear things are going along smoothly, and seats are there. You are going to have a fantastic trip.

Danielsan

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • The thread ‘Best scenic Swiss train rides for a 2-week trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.