Trip report Grand Train Tour of Switzerland (5)

• Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    19 October 2018 at 17:57:07 #818747

Hi Forum folks, here is part 5 of my trip to Switzerland

Day 10: My stay here in Wengen was so wonderful that I forgot I was leaving this day. It dawned on me when I was eating breakfast that this was check-out day and moving on my journey for my second stay in Luzern. But not before going on the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. In the hotel’s elevator, there was a sign that one could extend one’s stay and for another I believe 40 FR, one could check-out at 1600 hrs. instead of the normal 1100 hr. So, I took advantage of this and hit the town for the hike. I had my go-everywhere-bag, (with the two bottles of water that I filled up at the water spout just past the train station, that also went with me everywhere) and went to the Wengen-Mannlichen gondola. (I’m not sure how much it was with the STP, I apologize for that.) Only about a five-minute walk through the village from Victoria-Lauberhorn hotel. It was fairly sunny, and up we went. Finally, I could see the mountain in all its glory. Once at the top, the views are unreal. If one goes towards the left, one can hike to the summit of Mannlichen, about 15-20 minutes or so, from what I’ve read. I went towards the right, following the signs (that are on practically every mountain) and wandered through the area with a restaurant, souvenir shop, and play area for kids . including the big brown cow, and lookout points for photo ops and such. So I embarked on my journey to Kleine Scheidegg with the Eiger directly in front of me for the next two-plus hours. Unfortunately, the top was in the clouds the whole time, but it made for overcast skies and not blinding sun. I would have preferred the sun, but it was still an imposing sight to see. The whole time I could see Grindelwald down below, but it was still socked in the fog and clouds. Caught glimpses of it mostly. I guess close to an hour and a half later there was the Grindelwaldblick restaurant. This, about a half hour or so after a lookout/rest area. So I stopped in for a beer and admired the scenery, taking in the final destination of Kleine Scheidegg down below. About a half hour or so I reached it, took some photos and then took the next train back to Wengen. I believe this was 18 Fr. I thought it was free with the STP, but it wasn’t. Beautiful views of the Lauterbrunnen valley as we neared Wengen. I stopped into a charming little café down the hill from the end of the train station ( just to the right of Coop) for a soup and sandwich called Café Waldschluecht. I had soup the day before and they were reasonably priced. Not a bad place to pick up a sandwich for hiking, and/or picnicking.

Then it was time to check-out of this beautiful village. From here is was on the train down to Lauterbrunen, train to Interlaken Ost, where I boarded the train for the rest of the Golden Pass route to Luzern. This was, unfortunately a very over cast and cloudy ride. Still pretty though, along the northern part of Lake Brienz, passing the village of Brienz on the way to Meiringen. As far as I could tell this was just a local train, nothing fancy like from Montreux to Interlaken. After climbing up and out of Meiringen I started to doze off, mostly due to the weather and the hike I did earlier. I was pretty much in and out of napping until maybe a half hour outside of Luzern. The sun appeared after a few tunnels and reaching the Luzern region. Upon arriving in Luzern, I inquired about how long it would take to ride to St. Gallen on the Voralpen Express, on to Schaffhausen and back to Luzern, since I missed those two rail lines, due to flight delays upon my arrival in Zurich. It was too late in the day and I decided to walk to the Hotel des Alpes, across the river right in front of the Kapellbrucke (Chappel bridge). I checked in, decided on dinner at the hotel restaurant along the river, with a beautiful view of Mt. Pilatus, where I would be staying in two nights. After dinner I walked around town for a bit and then it was on to Mr. Pickwick, the bar/hotel right next door, to my hotel where I finished my night.

Just a few points about the Luzern train station: It is mainly 3 levels. With escalators/elevators. The main level, where trains pull in. The bottom level, where most of the stores, eateries, restroom and atria are located. Seats, tables, etc. Also good for tapping into the free wi-fi that is offered in the city. The password given to me at check-in at my hotel. The top level is pretty much a huge SSB rail station. Big enough that upon entering, one picks a number to determine who is next on line. On the main level, (near to tracks 10-11, maybe) there is another, smaller, SSB info desk, that is for info only. No tickets issued. It’s almost like an “express” counter. They were kind enough to print out schedules for me (they looked like tickets) for the next day when I went to Mt. Titlis. Also, at the station, near Burger King, (near track one) is a tourist info. There are also large lockers available. Just outside the station is another info booth, this one for the ferry schedules, as well as the ferry piers for boarding. Everything one needs is pretty much at the station. Very well set up. It is a hub to almost anywhere one wants to travel to, including many other mountains in the region.

More to come in part 6

Danielsan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2018 at 14:55:51 #898135

Thanks again Danielsan for the new report and tips!

Micalj
    Participant
    80 posts
    20 October 2018 at 15:23:08 #898136

Yes thanks again to Danielsan for the detail and thanks to Lucas for his contributions to all the questions posted here.

I remember being in Lucerne closer to Christmas, and there was a children’s choir singing in the lower level of the train station. We stopped to enjoy. Also a brass ensemble playing Christmas carols on the streets of Lucerne and a large store that turned its windows into an advent calendar. They have several nice Christmas Markets. There is much to like about Lucerne no matter what the season.

Mike J

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    20 October 2018 at 18:47:44 #898137

Hi Lucas your welcome, and thank you for having the interest to keep up with my reports.

Danielsan

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    20 October 2018 at 18:51:42 #898138

Hi Micalj,

Your welcome. Yes, I agree about Luzern. Although I have not been there in the winter, I can imagine it is quite beautiful. I absolutely love Luzern. It is a fantastic walking city, scenic, and yet peaceful even though it is a busy city. One of my favorite cities in Switzerland.

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Trip report Grand Train Tour of Switzerland (5)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.