Planning trip for 6 days late May in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 6:51:15 #814129

Hi ,

Planning for a good trip in May end . Duration of travel will be around 6 nights . Will start from Zurich ( plan of arrival on Saturday morning). Plan for lucerne ( may be day drip with tiltis , ) interlaken , Jungfrau , and also with Geneva for 1 day if possible. Will purchase Swiss rail pass.

Please suggest best plan . We are 3 . 2 adults and one child 10 years.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 8:33:28 #875012

Hi Itabha1976 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Depending on your arrival and departure times (and if you want to focus on the mountains and nature of Switzerland) I would try and stay 2 nights in Lucerne and 3 or 4 nights in the Jungfrau region (perhaps your last night in Geneva for your flight).

Use the links above to read about where to stay and what to do in each area or town. Also read through our what to do page and where to go page for Switzerland in general.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips between towns and into the mountains as well.
    The Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days is probably your best bet yes. You can add-on the free Swiss Family Pass at time of order. This covers your child for all trips in Switzerland.

Once you’ve had a read through the above links let us know if you have further questions!

Arno
    15485 posts
    6 March 2018 at 15:35:52 #875013

Hello Itabha1976,

Were you able to finalize your trip planning?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2018 at 17:10:08 #875014

Hi Arno ,

First of all , very much sorry for not posting any further plan. Gone through in detail regarding post of Lucas .

Yes planned for a 6 nights trip in Switzerland. May end to June first week. Got a cheap deal from KLM .

This is our first Europe trip also. So focus will be on cities , nature with Alps to some extent.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2018 at 17:14:49 #875015

3 nights in Bern , 3 nights in Zurich.

Will utilise Swiss pass accordingly.

Plan – Bern , lucerne , rigi / pilatus , interlaken area with schilthorn , Geneva – montreux , Zurich .

Know everything is not possible. Still.. let’s see. Any better idea ?

Want to enjoy every minutes in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 7:21:22 #875016

Hi Itabha1976,

If you are visiting Bern, Lucerne, Rigi/Pilatus and Interlaken area I would not stay in Zurich. Bern is lovely and is an ok base for the Lucerne area (if not Lucerne itself). Rather than Zurich I’d stay in Interlaken or an Alpine village like Wengen. Switzerland isn’t a country to focus on the cities. 🙂 Besides the cities here are quite small!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 16:09:01 #875017

Any idea regarding , in May end June first week – which one will be a better one schilthorn or gournergrat.

Considering aspects like getting snow on top , view , journey experience etc.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 17:42:56 #875018

Well I think the trip to the top of Schilthorn is a bit more exciting and there will be snow on Schilthorn for sure – that is your best bet for snow.

The views well both are great – you only get the Matterhorn view at Gornergrat though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 1:36:57 #875019

Thanks a lot Lucas . So I will definitely go for schilthorn .

Please give another information, regarding titlis and mount rigi , which one will be better ( in aspects of journey, nature view and snow at top ) .

Geneva or Basel , which city is more worthy to visit ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:42:40 #875020

Everyone’s opinion is different of course.

I’d read about the mountains and how to get their in our information pages and see which appeals to you the most. They are quite different (but both easily reachable from Lucerne).

As for the cities, I would choose the city that is easier to reach from wherever you are in this case – they are quite far apart from each other. That is, if you are in Lucerne and debating between visiting Basel or Geneva I’d choose Basel. 😉

Both are nice, but neither of them are particularly special for first-time visitors (if you don’t already have something specific in mind to do there).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 6:51:55 #875021

Hi ,

Ultimately made a plan . Please check if it is feasible or not .

Sat – by 11 am reaching Zurich . Transfer from Zurich to Bern , stay at Bern . Will enjoy evening at Bern.

Sun – morning few hours will do Bern tour . Then Lucerne – mt rigi. Return to Bern by late evening and stay.

Mon – interlaken ,murren , schilthorn , back to Bern.

Tues- Geneva , montreux , return to Zurich and night stay .

Wed – lucerne – mount titlis , return to Zurich.

Thurs – Zurich tour ( may include Rhine fall also ).

Fri – early morning flight to return back home .

Will use 8 days Swiss rail pass .

Any new idea ? Will be very much helpful for myself .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 17:03:38 #875022

Yes, that itinerary can work out for you.

Be sure you use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips to ensure the day isn’t too long for you.

For example, Bern to Geneva and Montreux and then to Zurich is a very long day. I’m not sure how much time you want to have to spend in either Geneva and Montreux. You can see the towns but not explore very much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 15:46:10 #875023

Hi Lucas ,

For my tour plan , which pass will be a good one

Swiss half card

Swiss 8 days travel pass

Swiss 4 days ( sun – wed ) + Zurich Bern ticket ( on Saturday arrival )+ Zurich pass .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 8:26:24 #875024

Hi ITABHA1976,

You can figure out exactly which pass gives you the best savings by using our spreadsheet here, and doing the math to compare rail tickets vs. rail passes. The spreadsheet will help ease the math. 🙂

• The thread ‘Planning trip for 6 days late May in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.