Zurich, Wengen, Lucerne in June, with a toddler and senior parents

• rounak
    Participant
    4 posts
    23 April 2024 at 15:25:34 #1446868

​Hello everyone

So, i have been surfing this forum for almost 15 days and have made a rough itinerary for my upcoming Europe trip. I will spend a few days in Turkey before visiting Switzerland and will also be visiting Paris, Brussels & London after Switzerland.

My name is Rounak jain & i will be traveling with my wife, a baby of 34 months, and parents of 75 years on this trip. I am posting below the rough itinerary i have made using this forum; please review it and let me know if anything needs to be changed.

May 31 –  Zurich to Lauterbrunnen via Taxi (as we are traveling with four big suitcases, one stroller, and one wheelchair) and from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen via train – we will be relaxing on day one, walking around the city, eating some good food, and getting adjusted to the weather – night stay at Beausite Park Hotel & Spa

June 1 – Take a Cable car from Wengen to Männlichen Alpine Playground (my little boy would love to play here), spend one or two hours there, and then hike to Kleine Scheidegg (will it be open by June 1?) and from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen via train – night stay at Beausite Park Hotel & Spa

June 2 – Trip to Lauterbrunnen Valley and Grindelwald or Murren (Please Suggest) – night stay at Beausite Park Hotel & Spa

June 3 – Wengen to Lucerne (either by car or train) – Relax, have lunch, roam around the chapel bridge, old town walk, Lake Lucerne cruise – stay at Neustadt Apartments

June 4 – Ferry ride to Weggis – spend a few hours there, back to Lucerne, relax, walk around the city – stay at Neustadt Apartments

June 5 – A full-day tour of Mount Pilatus, especially for a toboggan ride – stay at Neustadt Apartments

June 6 – Lucerne to Paris via Bern (any other good options ?)

I look forward to your valuable suggestions, thank you

• Yolanda
    2412 posts
    24 April 2024 at 17:12:17 #1459687

Hi rounak,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Many thanks for sharing your upcoming travel plans. Some nice choices and my notes below.

Lastly, I think it may be worth looking into investing in a rail pass for your group whilst here, given you will be using the mountain transport and railways whilst here.  More on rail passes and how to choose here:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/compare/

I hope this helps, do reach out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

rounak
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2024 at 8:06:46 #1459705

Noted all your point and read all the guide you shared, based on that i am posting my updated itinerary

*Switzerland itinerary*

*May 31* – Zürich to Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen by Train – Lunch, Relax, walk around the city, Dinner and wine – night stay at Beausite Park Hotel & Spa, Wengen

Activities during Wengen stay, 1 & 2nd June

*PLAN 1*

Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch by train, return by the same route

*PLAN 2*

Take a Cable car from Wengen to Männlichen Alpine Playground, spend two hours there, and then return to Wengen by cable car.

*PLAN 3*

Trip to Lauterbrunnen Valley and Grindelwald

*June 3* – Wengen to Interlaken via Lauterbrunnen, 22 min journey, keep luggage at Interlaken station, lunch at an Indian restaurant and take a bus to visit Iseltwald, spend an hour there, and then take a boat on Lake Brienz to Interlaken station, take the train to Lucerne – 2 hours – stay at Neustadt Apartments

*June 4* – Relax, have lunch, roam around the chapel bridge, old town walk, Lake Lucerne cruise – stay at Neustadt Apartments

*June 5* – A full-day tour of Mount Pilatus, especially for a toboggan ride – stay at Neustadt Apartments

*June 6* – Lucerne to Paris via Basel.

Yolanda
    2412 posts
    25 April 2024 at 22:22:43 #1461427

Looks good rounak,

Similarly, with your Jungfraujoch excursion, just check the weather forecast a day or two in advance.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

rounak
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2024 at 22:24:31 #1461429

got it, i have one more question, can i take my 2.5-year-old to Jungfraujoch? is this allowed?

Yolanda
    2412 posts
    25 April 2024 at 22:35:48 #1461433

Hi rounak,

If you scroll to “Is altitude sickness a problem?” in the Jungfraujoch link I provided, you’ll find our guidance.

Altitude sickness is something to be aware about.  Anyone can experience a degree of altitude sickness but for a child it could be harder for them to express that they are feeling unwell.  The usual advise is not to visit places over 2500m with children under 2 years old.  Best to ask your doctor or pediatrician to be sure.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.