Train theme trails

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2010 at 8:24:23 #803783

Hi, I’ve been told that there are several train theme trails in Switzerland, but so far I haven’t been able to figure out the specifics. I’ll be staying in Brig (Valais) and Samedan (Graubünden) both 1 week. Are there any hikes with information on train routes I can make from there? Thanks for helping me out.

• Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    19 April 2010 at 16:02:07 #831123

Hi,
    I know of one train theme trail in Graubünden. It’s situated in the Albula valley between Preda and Bergün. It’s an easy hike and very lovely. From Samedan you can easily reach your starting point by train. See here and here for more details.
    I hope others can tell you about other trails as well.
    Enjoy!

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2010 at 16:19:01 #831124

Thank you Wandermann, that’s indeed a magnificent trail. Another one is the trail called “Lötschberger Südrampe”, between Ausserberg and Hohtenn near Brig, south of the Lötschberg tunnel. There’s also a trail along the railroad on the north side of the tunnel, called the “Lötschberger Nordrampe”. The local railroad company BLS also provides some information about both hikes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2010 at 10:16:46 #831125

A few years ago we took a Discovery trail with signs along the way from Blausee station to Kandergrund. It followed mountain line of the BLS from the end of station platform up along the tracks. It then descended on a series of long metal steps down to Kandergrund.
    Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2010 at 14:12:59 #831126

Thanks, I’ll look into the details of your tips!

• The thread ‘Train theme trails’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.