TGV Lyria, Jungfraujoch, GEX & itinerary questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 14:30:37 #814890

Hi. I will be travelling to Switzerland from Paris on 18th June.

Im planning to book on TGV Lyria for my trip from Paris to either one of the base stations like Geneva or Basel.

From there take a Swiss train to Interlaken. Base at Interlaken.

Day 2: Trip to Jungfraujoch depending on weather condition.

Day3 : Trip to Lucerne.

Day 4: Take train from Interlaken to Zermatt to take the GEX to St . Moritz. Stay overnight at St. Moritz.

Day 5: Train from St. Moritz to Zurich. Stay overnight at Zurich

Day 6 : Fly out from Zurich

My queries:

1) Do I need to make advance reservations for Jungfraujoch and GEX ?

2)Will I get discounts on these reservations if I buy the Swiss travel pass later on landing in Switzerland?

3) Which Travel pass would be recommended for this stay and travel?

Early response would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 16:37:08 #879385

Hi Smita and welcome to MySwissAlps!

• Day 4 – use the Swiss railways timetable to plan this – you might not be able to get to Zermatt early enough to catch the Glacier Express train. When search for the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz it is labeled as the GEX.
    1. Only for the Glacier Express – here.
    2. No discounts with a rail pass of any sort no.
    3. Probably a Swiss Travel Pass 8 day, but the only way to know is to plan out all your trips, find their prices and do the math. We have a spreadsheet on our page “how to choose the best rail pass” to help you. 🙂
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 16:56:10 #879386

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your replies. Need some more clarity.

2: If I buy a Swiss travel pass and get a family pass (traveling with my husband and 10 yr old daughter) I just need to pay for the seat reservation for 2 people since kid s travel free.? if I want to book in advance how do I pay only for seat reservations ? Because I will buy the train pass only after I arrive in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 17:04:45 #879387

Correct. You’ll need to just buy reservations – you can do this on my 1st link. It doesn’t matter if you have a rail pass at the time you make reservations – you just need it when on the train to show train staff.

It would be much easier to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online before you go. Then there is no need to find an office and wait in line. You also have an electronic back up in your email in case you lose it.

You can add on the Swiss Family Card for free at time of ordering the Swiss Travel Pass as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 1:42:33 #879388

Ok…I pay for 2 reservations on GEX…but will my daughter be eligible for a separate seat since I’m not paying for her seat reservation?

Secondly I checked up the timetable for trains from Interlaken to Zermatt..There is one early morning train which can get me on time at 8:14 to catch the GEX from Zermatt at 8:52…Isn’t that doable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 7:35:27 #879389

Hi Smita,

Everyone who wants to have a seat needs a reservation regardless of age.

So you arrive in Zermatt at 08:14 and leave on the GEX at 08:52? That is a lot of time to connect – no worries! (10 minutes would be fine for example as it isn’t a big train station) 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 12:53:17 #879390

Thanks a lot Lucas. That was a big help. I might have some more queries along the way.

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    23 March 2018 at 11:13:17 #879391

Hi Smita,

Zermatt is a quaint, beauty of a village and having gone there ,may be you should look up majestic ” Matterhorn”- just a suggestion.

You may also consider Swiss Transfer ticket (STT)which works out economical for some itineraries. Some times a Swiss half fare card can be combined with STT

Regards

Sundar Ram

• The thread ‘TGV Lyria, Jungfraujoch, GEX & itinerary questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.