Zurich,Wengen,Grindelwald,St Moritz,Zermatt by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 7:43:40 #813209

My husband (age 67) and I (age 65) plan to visit the following places between May 4 and May 11 2018:- Zurich, Wegen, Grindelwald, St Moritz and Zermatt. To avoid carrying the luggages up and down the train, my husband intends to rent/pick up a car from Zurich. Please share with me your experiences and give me your opinions.

• Annika
    7137 posts
    7 September 2017 at 17:44:38 #869572

Hi janeho, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

In terms of luggage a car may be handy indeed. However, there are some disadvantages to driving that are worth your consideration. Navigating in larger cities such as Zurich can be hard, whereas driving in mountainous areas, such as the route to St. Moritz, requires special skills. Rental and parking costs can add up quickly. In all, train traveling might be more relaxed. You can ship ahead your luggage if you like.

I suggest you study the pages below for more information:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 4:38:47 #869573

Thank you Annika:)

kim11
    Participant
    608 posts
    8 September 2017 at 17:20:16 #869574

Also note that Wengen and Zermatt are car-free villages that you cannot drive to. You need to leave your car behind in a car park and take the train to the villages

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 13:51:25 #869575

Thank you Kim. I shall forward your reply to my husband.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 17:58:35 #869576

Kim, I created a profile just so that I could request your 35-page Wengen document! 🙂 You’d mentioned it in a 2012 reply… is that documents still available to share?

Thanks!

kim11
    Participant
    608 posts
    12 September 2017 at 19:44:23 #869577

Yes, you can download it (a series of 3 PDFs) here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 20:23:36 #869578

Thank you so much! (I wrote a reply on that page)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 9:12:53 #869579

Thank you Kim for sharing the informations.

How many day trips to make from Interlaken in order to see Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Grindelwald and Zermatt?

My husband has agreed to take the train for our trip in the Jungfrau region during our holidays from May 6 (Sunday) to May 13 (Sunday) 2018 (air tickets are yet to purchase). Thinking of taking Interlaken as a base and to visit Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Grindelwald and Zermatt. Lake cruises will be included as I plan to buy the Jungfrau Pass (Good?). We had a one day excursion up to the The top of Jaugfrau in year 2010. My husband and I love the Mountains and Lakes scenery in the Switzerland. I wish to have a photo taken with the lake and the Matterhorn behind. Perhaps need to ask the local when we are in Zermatt. Photography is my husband’s hobby. But I (just got my knees operation) does not like hiking and need to take a rest after some distance walk. How many day trips shall we do from Interlaken? Can someone gives me some opinions and advices? Thanks.

Just sharing with you our package tour in year 2010:-

22/5/2010 Zurich – St. Moritz (Hotel Laudinella)

23/5/2010 St. Moritz – Glacier Express – via Brig – Zermatt region (Schloss Hotel Tenne)

Lunch on the Glacier Express was delicious. Matterhorn is beautiful (evening

& morning views)

24/5/2010 Zermatt-Swiss Riviera-Geneva-Yvoire-Mont Blanc Region(Hotel Hilton)

25/5/2010 Mont Blanc Region-Yverdon Les Bains-Glacier 3000-Interlaken (city hotel

Oberland)

26/5/2010 Interlaken/Jungfraujoch

27/5/2010 Interlaken-Bern-Lucern(Grand Hotel Europe)

28/5/2010 Lucern-Schauffhausen-Titisee-Colmar-Strasbourg(Holiday Inn)

29/5/2010 Strasbourg-Paris

My plan: May 6 (Sunday) Amsterdam to Zurich, Zurich – Lucerne (Express panoramic train) – Interlaken

Check in hotel in Interlaken near the Train Station Ost on May 6 and check out on May 12 for

Zurich. Stay overnight at Hotel Movenpick which has a free shuttle bus service to the airport.

May 13 (Sunday) leave Zurich for Amsterdam. Please advise!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 1:30:21 #869580

Hi Jane,

>> How many day trips to make from Interlaken in order to see Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Grindelwald and Zermatt?

The answer to that will depend on what you want to do in each area. You can use the Swiss Timetable to plan these trips and see how long it will take you to get places, and decide for yourself what you want to do there, and how long you want to spend there. Zermatt will be a full-day trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> Jungfrau region … from May 6 (Sunday) to May 13 (Sunday) 2018 … Lake cruises will be included

Some mountain transport will not be operating during these dates, for example:

• Wengen-Männlichen cable car
    • Grindelwald-Männlichen gondola
    • Mürren-Allmendhubel funicular
    • Wilderswil-Schynige Platte train

The mountain transport that will be operating includes:

• Grindelwald-First gondola
    • Interlaken-Harder Kulm funicular
    • Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp cable car
    • Grütschalp-Mürren train
    • Mürren-Schilthorn cable car
    • Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren cable car

Boats will be operating on both the Brienzersee (Lake Brienz) and the Thunersee (Lake Thun). Trümmelbach Falls will also be open.

>> I plan to buy the Jungfrau Pass (Good?).

The Jungfrau Pass will not cover your return trip between Zürich and Interlaken Ost, your trip to and from Zermatt or the mountain transport in Zermatt. It might be worth doing some calculations to see whether an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would provide better value.

There is information here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

>> I wish to have a photo taken with the lake and the Matterhorn behind. Perhaps need to ask the local when we are in Zermatt. Photography is my husband’s hobby. But I (just got my knees operation) does not like hiking and need to take a rest after some distance walk.

If the Riffelsee is the lake you are thinking of, there are directions for getting there on the following page :

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Attractions/Riffelse e

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 5:07:08 #869581

Thank you very much Alpenrose:)

Your comments, informations and advices will definitely help me a lot in my planning on this Switzerland trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 15:50:20 #869582

So wonderful for all your website connections/details to review all those beautiful sites and routes.

Intended to fly to Zurich or Bern Airport and then continue by train to Interlakken hotel.

Which of those airports would be the most convenient to catch the train to Interlaken with 1 baggage and two small handcarry?

That is to checkout from those airport and directly catch the train to Interlakken without any bus transfer from airport to the train station.

Thanks and best regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 16:19:43 #869583

Hi Janeho,

Zurich airport is better for direct train connections for sure – not a lot of flights go into Bern but the airport isn’t as well connected.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 2:13:28 #869584

Thank you Lucas:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 7:20:46 #869585

Can I visit Wengen, Murren, Stechelberg, Gimmelwald, Trummelbach Falls and Schilthorn in two days (May 29 & 30) and in which sequence shall I travel from Lauterbrunnen?

I plan to stay in Lauterbrunnen instead of Interlaken. Good?

I have been to Jungfraujoch. I wonder if I should go again.

We intend to buy the 8Days Swiss Travel Pass. My planned itinerary:-

May 28 Mon Zurich – Lauterbrunnen (by train 3.5hour) check in hotel near Lauterbrunnen train station

May 29 Tue

May 30 Wed

May 31 Thur Cruise on Lake Brienz (duration?) Cruise on Lake Thun (duration?) on the same day plus Interlaken city tour. OK?

June 01 Fri Harder Kulm/Top of Interlaken

June 02 Sat Lauterbrunnen – Zermatt Hotel Bahnhof

June 03 Sun Zermatt

June 04 Mon Zermatt – Zurich (by train 3 hr 15 mins)- Amsterdam

Please give me your advice and suggestions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 8:46:20 #869586

Ji Janeho,

You can certainly visit those areas over two days. Mürren and Gimmelwald are essentially beside each other and on the way to Schilthorn so that would be one day. The next you can visit Wengen, Stechelberg and Trummelbach falls without issue from Lauterbrunnen.

Lauterbrunnen is a nice village to stay in and a good base for your planned visits. Your itinerary looks good here – see these links for more details on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz lake cruises (and schedule links).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 14:37:26 #869587

Thank you very much Lucas:)

• The thread ‘Zurich,Wengen,Grindelwald,St Moritz,Zermatt by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11250 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.