Zurich – Lake Brienz + visit Lauterbrunnen as day trip: best way?

• shimmer
    Participant
    1 post
    18 April 2024 at 1:51:10 #1429372

Helloo All!

I’m struggling a bit and resorting to posting on different forums, somehow the more i research the more confused i get. please help me!

Trip Date: 16th June 2024

Please help me plan half a days trip from Central Zurich to Lake Brienz covering two main aspects:

1. Cogwheel ride

2. Ferry ride (maybe as a mode of transport to reach back to Interlaken?)

I plan to then go to Lauterbrunnen for a couple of hours and spend a few hours there before heading back to central Zurich at our hotel.

Unfortunately I only have one day to achieve all the above.

I welcome all suggestions and advice & thank everyone in advance for taking out the time to post a reply.

• Shashank
    Participant
    11 posts
    18 April 2024 at 12:52:25 #1430175

Hello,

A bit tight but you are staying at Interlaken, this is what you can plan

Leave Interlaken early morning. (or Luzern to Interlaken OST very early morning)

Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Wnegen (Cogwheel Train) and back to Lauterbrunnen. 30 mins stroll + coffee at Wengen

At lauterbrunnen take Bus 141 and visit Trumbullbach Falls.

Come back to Lauterbrunnen and visit Murren. and back to Lauterbrunnen

Take train from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken OST and from their a boat to Brienz

Take back train from Brienz to Luzern.

This is doable and enjoyable.

you need to pick up your snacks/lunch on the go.

Shashank

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    18 April 2024 at 22:04:47 #1431132

Hi shimmer,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Many thanks for sharing your plans.

I’d suggest you research your journeys using the Swiss timetable.  That way you can gauge timings, schedules and see if all doable for you.  Here’s the timetable link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/

An early start to the day would help, as Zurich-Interlaken is already approximately 2 hours.  If you reached Interlaken Ost by 9.30-10am, you could enjoy a boat trip on Lake Brienz and then head to Lauterbrunnen by early afternoon.

Lake Brienz boat trip information can be read in the attached link:

Our handy guide to Lauterbrunnen here:

You may want to invest in a Saver Day Pass if it’s available for your date of travel.  This would cover your return travel from Zurich, the boat trip and take you to Lauterbrunnen.  More details and purchase options in the below link:

Do take a look at the validity map.  As mentioned, your travel to Lauterbrunnen is covered but if you wanted to take any mountain transport in the Jungfrau region, a further ticket would need to be purchased.  (These routes are shown as dotted in the map).

I hope this helps.  Do reach out if you have additional questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.