1 day: Stanserhorn & Mt Rigi, itinerary check

• herotravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    4 May 2023 at 9:10:05 #829760

Originally, I have 1 day that planned for Mt Rigi for the whole day followed by Stanserhorn doing the cable car at night at 8pm for sunset in a couple of weeks weeks time

However, I just realised that the evening cable car that we intend to do (on Thursday) does not fall on the weekend which means the last session that goes down the mountain is like 4:30pm and that means I will have to make an alternative plan and reverse the itinerary

Therefore, I would like to ask some questions please:

1) Assuming we depart Lucern to Stans train at 8am (which is around 20 min ride) and if we take the cable car say…up at 9am and reach the top, how long do you recommend that we stay?? 1 hour? 2 hours? 3 hours?

2) Assuming we finish at 11am or 12pm, we take the train to Arth-Goldau and then take the cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm , if I understand correctly, this whole trip takes 1 hour ride to go all the way up to the top?

3) Assuming we arrive at the top @ 1-2pm, do we have enough time to go down to Weggis ferry station so that we can take the last boat at 6:05pm? or its a bit rush etc

4) Correct me if I am wrong, from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad is 10 minute ride and then another 15 min walk to Weggis is the ferry terminal?

5) In terms of the boat ride, do you think it is better to take the boat from Vitznau to Lucern, or the scenic lake is better from Weggis to Lucern is more beautiful?

6) Is there anything to walk around the Stans town as well? Or it’s just another cable car station sort of thing and nothing much to walk around?

I hope my alternate plan would be OK despite I didn’t see that the evening rides actually starts on 1st June for Thursdays!

Thank you very much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    4 May 2023 at 11:43:46 #954069

Hello herotravel,

Thanks for sharing your plans. A busy day ahead but all in all, at a pleasant pace.

In answer to your questions:

1. If you are just sightseeing and taking in the views and maybe a coffee. I would say 1.5 to 2 hours. Also depending if you choose to walk to the top, this takes around 30 minutes after arriving. https://www.myswissalps.com/stanserhorn.

Remember to check the weather forecast before heading out, it would be a shame to head up there and the weather is not favourable.

2. Yes, sounds good. You can research journey times/routes via the timetable:

3. I think it’s doable as long as you start heading down to Weggis in a timely manner. The commute down takes just over an hour.

4. Sounds good, you can always double check via the timetable link above.

5. Both will be lovely, the trip from Vitznau is longer (55 minutes) vs Weggis (35 minutes). I guess, it depends on timing and how long you feel like spending on a boat 😉

6. Stans is the capital of the canton, Nidwalden. If time allows, have a wander around. THe main square in the centre is (I’ve never been) is supposedly quite impressive and one of the most beautiful squares in Switzerland.

I am sure, you will have a great day out.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    5 May 2023 at 3:33:48 #954070

1) – I agree with Yolanda; we’ve been to Stanserhorn 3 times and while it is scenic, there really isn’t that much to do once there. You can take a short walk to the summit and the easy trail around the summit, but even taking a lunch break from the cafeteria you shouldn’t need more than 2 hours. We always took the short around-the-summit hike and enjoyed a beer or two on the big plaza before heading down. Be advised, the short hike to the summit looks easy since it is so close but the altitude change can slow you down. And definitely check the mountaintop weather cams first for any trips you plan to the top.

2) – The trip to Rigi Kulm will take just under 2 hours from Stans via train to Luzern, train to Arth Goldau, then cogwheel to the top (41 minutes), You can also get there in about the same time via bus to Beckenried, boat to Vitznau, then cogwheel up to the top (32 minutes).

3), 4), 5) – Once at Rigi Kulm, the easiest way down on the lake side is simply the cogwheel down to Vitznau (40 minutes) where you can catch the boat back to Luzern in just under 2 hours total time. You can go down via gondola & walking to Weggis, but I don’t think in the 25 minutes you mention in your question. I’ve never done it that way. Most of the lake boats stop at both Weggis & Vitznau, which are very close. If you get on at Vitznau the boat headed back to Luzern stops at Weggis 6 minutes later; coming from Luzern it is the reverse, first Weggis then Vitznau. You’ll be on the same boat whether you board at Weggis or Vitznau and the lake scenery is identical. Great.

6) – Never spent any time in Stans other than transfer from main trains to funicular/gondola to top & back, so no advice on that town.

Have a fun trip.

herotravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    8 May 2023 at 16:08:09 #954071

Sorry for the late reply as I just had a chance to look at it today since I was busy these few days

Thank you Yolanda & CabinJon

Really appreciate for the advise, answers and suggestions as they are helpful!

The only other question I noticed is other than taking the train from Stans to Arth-Goldau (which takes much longer like an hour or so), I realised I can actually take the bus from Stans to Beckenried ferry terminal which is like 15 min

Please correct me if I am wrong, that is the timetable connection I am seeing as follows:

Assuming I finish at Stanserhorn in 10am (provided I take the first 8:15am cable car)

I see according from SBB app from Stans bus station, I can catch the 10:51am time to Beckenrield station/ferry station and arrives there @ 11:16am

Then for the boat, I can see we can catch from Beckenrield for 11:32am (which is about 15 min waiting) with a 16 min ride arriving Vitznau @ 11:48am.

Then @ 11:50am, I take the cogwheel up all the way up and arrive Rigi Kulm @ 12:25pm?

If so, that would be a better and shorter route after the Stanserhorn excursion, no??

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 May 2023 at 21:07:22 #954072

Hi herotravel,

The bus and boat option via Beckenried will get you to Rigi Kulm in roughly the same amount of time if you travel with the train via Arth Goldau. However, it is certainly more scenic and a wonderful way to travel to Rigi.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘1 day: Stanserhorn & Mt Rigi, itinerary check’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.