10 days Switzerland late April with toddler?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 16:16:31 #814283

Hello,

So planning a trip from 24th April to 5th May (flight already booked actually) with my wife and a 2.5 yr old. Flying in an out of Zurich. I have researched a bit and below is what i came up with.I prefer driving to trains although we are thinking to do the Golden Pass line one day.

24th Apr: Arrive in Zurich and stay either in Zurich or somewhere enroute to Tasch. “Recommendations needed on where”

25th Apr: Drive to Tasch/Zermatt.Overnight there.

26th Apr: Matterhorn and Zermatt village. Stay overnight.

27th Apr: Drive to Montreux via either cheese factory or chocolate factory nearby and stay overnight. Return Car as well.

28th Apr: Golden Pass line to Lucerne. Overnight in Lucerne.

29 Apr: Do Mount Pilatus and the city. Overnight in Lucerne.

30th Apr: Possibly do Titlis or explore city/glacier garden. Collect car and drive to Interlaken.

1st May: Visit Grinewald and other villages / Mount Jungfrau (depending on weather). Overnight in Interlaken.

2nd May: Visit Grinewald and other villages / Mount Jungfrau (depending on weather). Overnight in Interlaken.

3rd May: Transfer to Zurich via Rhine Falls. Overnight in Zurich.

4th May: Plan to visit the Zoo and Bahnhofstrasss and possibly lake cruise. Overnight in Zurich.

5th May: Thinking what to do here. Flight back out is around 5pm.

So in all i have 2 nights in Zermatt, 1 in Montreux, 2 in Lucerne, 3 in Interlaken and 2 in Zurich. Plus one somewhere in between Zurich & Tasch (Zermatt).

Should i find hotels/airbnb in the main cities or further out in towns/villages. any recommendations please?

I was thinking also if instead of going to Montreux on 27th to drive to Lucerne and get the Golden pass from there. Then it will be Interlaken first and then Lucerne and then Zurich.

Which way is better for the Golden Pass? Is there more things to do for little kids that i can add on? Hopefully some of the Passes will be open to drive and enjoy the scenery during this time.

Thank you so much for your help and advises.

Kind Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 19:30:25 #875856

Hi Need2Travel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would highly recommend taking advantage of the Swiss rail system and not driving here. It is much more convenient 95% of the time – especially as your itinerary seems to have you pick up, drop off and pick up a car again. Read about traveling by train vs. car here. I think it would be a lot simpler and easier to just train everywhere (some towns, like Zermatt are also car-free). The trip to Zermatt by car or train is about 3.5 hours. Unless you arrive late in Zurich I’d just head straight there.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out train trips.

Also, the higher mountain passes almost certainly will not be open until mid-May (this year probably mid-June due to the huge amount of snow so far). If you are set in staying out in very small villages / remote areas though then a car might be needed. All the towns you mention however, are easily reached by train.

I think the itinerary itself looks good – I think I’d stay in Grindelwald or Wengen over Interlaken though. I don’t think it matters which direction of the Golden Pass you take… although some people quite enjoy ending in Montreux as you get the views coming down to the town and Lake Geneva.

I hope that starts to help you in your trip planning – let us know if you have more questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 15:31:10 #875857

Hi Lucas,

Thank you. went back and looked into the links you mentioned and also did some costs analysis. I agree about the car and train convinience. I would like to drive for a couple days especially heading to zermatt. So settled on 4 days car and then remaining get a swiss pass for 8 days.Looking into

Let me know what you think of this:

24th Apr: Arrive in Zurich and stay either in Zurich or somewhere enroute to Tasch. We arrive in Zurich around 2:30pm.

Question: Any advice where to stay the first night?

25th Apr: Drive to Tasch/Zermatt.Overnight there.

26th Apr: Matterhorn and Zermatt village. Stay overnight.

27th Apr: Drive to Montreux via either cheese factory or chocolate factory nearby and stay overnight. Return Car as well.

28th Apr: Golden Pass line to Interlaken. Overnight in Interlaken or Wengen.

29 Apr: Visit Grinewald and other villages / Mount Jungfrau (depending on weather). Overnight in Interlaken/wengen.

30th Apr: Visit Grinewald and other villages / Mount Jungfrau (depending on weather). Overnight in Interlaken/wengen.

1st May:Continue the Golden Pass route to Lucerme. Mount Pilatus/Titlis, Glacier Garden, Lucerne city. Overnight in Lucerne.

2nd May: Mount Pilatus/Titlis, Glacier Garden, Lucerne city. Overnight in Lucerne.

3rd May: Transfer to Zurich and also do Rhine Falls. Overnight in Zurich.

4th May: Plan to visit the Zoo and Bahnhofstrasss and possibly lake cruise. Overnight in Zurich.

5th May: Thinking what to do here. Flight back out is around 5pm.

have some friends also joining us for the golden pass so we will do the montreux to lucerne route.

Does it matter to get combination of Tell pass and swiss pass? For Zurich would you recommend continue with the swiss pass or get a zurich card/pass?

thank you so much again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 19:34:56 #875858

Hi Need2Travl,

I’d go straight to Zermatt on the 24th.

For rail passes, considering you have 8 days and the only pass to cover everything (almost) is the Swiss Travel Pass I’d go with that for simplicity. If you did Lucerne first or last you could split between the Tell Pass and Swiss Travel Pass (4 days each) but it makes more sense geographically to follow the route you suggested.

To be sure about the most economical pass you’ll need to plan out all your routes and do the math – our page on how to choose the best rail pass will help with a handy excel sheet. In the end it is probably easiest to just buy the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass – read about what it covers here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2018 at 0:33:17 #875859

<<“I’d go straight to Zermatt on the 24th.”>>

By car? Are they jet-lagged?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 1:06:33 #875860

>> 4th May: Plan to visit the Zoo and Bahnhofstrasss and possibly lake cruise. Overnight in Zurich.

If you are going to the zoo, there is an interesting way of returning to central Zürich that you might enjoy.

It is called “Seilbahn Rigiblick” and is an automatic single-cabin funicular (no driver) that travels between the top of the Zürichberg (a hill overlooking Zürich) and a small plaza at the bottom. From there you can catch a tram back to Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station).

Here are directions to follow this route to return from the Zoo:

• At the Zoo bus stop, catch the #39 bus (travelling in the direction “Letzistrasse”). Alight at the stop called “Rigiblick”. From the Zoo to Rigiblick will take about 5 minutes (5 stops). This bus runs 7 days a week every 30 minutes (at 9 minutes and 40 minutes past the hour) from early till late.
    • Catch the Seilbahn Rigiblick (funicular) all the way down to the last stop. The funicular leaves every 6 minutes from the top station, travels 4 stops, and takes about 7 minutes. Standard Zürich public transport fares/tickets apply, and it is in the central fare zone (zone 110).
    • Before you catch the funicular, you can enjoy panoramic views over Zürich, the Zürichsee (Lake Zürich) and the mountains in the distance from a little park (with seating) adjacent to the funicular.
    • From the bottom station of the funicular, walk straight ahead through the small square to the tram stop, from where you can catch the #10 tram (direction “Zürich, Bahnhofplatz”) back to Zürich Hauptbahnhof. This trip will take about 10 minutes (6 stops).

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2018 at 1:53:35 #875861

Hi Alpenrose-

Don”t forget James Joyce, as long as you are up there.

http://www.google.com/search?q=james+joyce+grave&cl ient=firefox-b-1&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u& source=univ&ved=0ahUKE wj-hZ2m3JfZAhVmjK0KHSnTCU EQ7AkIvAE&biw=1790&bih =1033

His grave is very close to the zoo.

A search of James Joyce Zürich also gives a lot of leads.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 10:14:00 #875862

Thanks Lucas, SlowPoke & Alpenrose,

No we will be getting off just a just 2 hour flight so no jet lag. the flight will be coming into zurich around 2:30 so by the time we clear immigration, collect bags and car would be 3:30/4? then doing the 3+ hour drive to zermatt. It is tempting to get it over in one go and gives us an extra night there or in Montreux.

@Alpenrose66, that is a great suggestion, will definitely add it to the day :), @Slowpoke haha yes will also look up James Joyce when there.

Any idea how long the Kandersteg–Goppenstein car transport takes? Google saying 38 mins while it says on the website the actual journey is only 15 mins. The route through Zurich-Bern-Thun-Kandersteg–Goppenstein -Tasch seems to be the fastest per google maps in car at that time of the day.

If we do drive same day to zermatt i was thinking 2 nights. staying over in montreux on the friday to get the golden pass on saturday so this leaves me with an extra night. Any suggestions? Stay 2 nights in Montreux and roam around?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2018 at 10:53:01 #875863

<<“so by the time we clear immigration, collect bags and car would be 3:30/4?”>>

Are you coming from a Schengen Country? Could be a lot faster. You bypass passport control. Although the airport service has slowed down a bit in the past couple of years, I used to find my baggage on the carousel when I reached it, after I came in from the USA. I do have priority baggage handling from my frequent flyer program, which helps, too.

If had only carry on luggage from an intra-Europe intra-Schengen zone trip, I could be off the plane and on the train in 15-20 minutes. These days, the size limit for carry-on has been substantially reduced, too.

Car rental is very quickly accessed after you leave the arrival hall. 5 minutes maximum.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/airport-services-en/site-plans

You are probably wise to allow that much time. And traffic on the A1 (E60) around the north of Zürich can be slow at almost any time, but, especially at rush hours. Also, the E25 around Bern. And, don’t be surprised if you run into Winter driving conditions – could happen as you get up in altitude near Tasch at that time of year. I don’t know where they have put all that snow that fell this year. 😉

The car train time depends on loading – driving slowly on to the train from one end and along the string of cars – and waiting for the train to be ready to load, although there is a lot less traffic through the tunnel these days, so there is not much waiting. The trip through the tunnel is what they say. About 15 minutes. Scenery is boring there. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 11:22:03 #875864

<“Are you coming from a Schengen Country?”>

Yes, just contingency – with a small child time flies. so from the above i probably would be in the car within the hour of landing.

will be bit tough to do the straigh 3+ hour drive but we can relax at out destination then :).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 12:56:50 #875865

By the way since i was looking into getting a Swiss came across this site: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

these are saver day passes booked only a month in advance though. Good to have this on your website if peoples travel days are fixed. One would have to but a Half-day pass to get the value out of it. i am including in the calculations for my trip, would save 50-100 euros overall i guess maybe more. Still good to know about it for cost-conscious travllers :).

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2018 at 17:24:12 #875866

Hi Need2Travl,

Yes, we offer that information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details, and in various forum threads as well. You don’t need a Swiss Half Fare Card to buy this pass, but it will be more expensive without one. In general it only pays off for very short (1-2 day) stays without mountain trips, or if one extra day is needed on top of a Swiss Travel Pass, for example.

Have a wonderful trip!

• The thread ‘10 days Switzerland late April with toddler?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.