20 days in Switzerland trip report – Part 1

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 5:51:55 #812772

We had a wonderful 3 weeks in Switzerland from late June to mid July.. We bought a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex and thought it was well worth the money and convenience.

Day 1 – We arrived in Zurich at 8:00. I had bought a Swiss Coupon Pass and needed to pick it up at the Swiss Travel Center at the airport, so we found the Travel Center and picked up our Coupon Book. Unfortunately I didn’t look at the coupon book closely enough to see that it was all in German until we were in our hotel in Zurich. So after checking at the rail information and tourist information center in Zurich, I went back to the airport and traded my book for an English one, which was much easier for me to understand! We used 5 coupons out of the book, which made it worth getting, but you need to be willing to sometimes go out of your way to use the coupons. We bought a Zurich Card thinking we would be traveling around the city and checking out some museums, but as we were pretty tired from jet lag, it would have been more cost effective to just buy a day pass that would get us from the airport to the city and around town. We did go on a boat ride for 5 SF which was nice and that was where we found out we needed to time stamp our Zurich Card. it was a very hot day and I joined the hundreds of people jumping in the Limmat River and floating downriver!

Day 2 – We took the train to Meiringen. We arrived on a very hot afternoon and spent it in the interesting and cool Aare Gorge.

Day 3 – We took the train to Thun,toured Thun castle, took a boat ride on Lake Thun to Spiez, toured Spiez Castle, took a boat ride to Interlaken, train to Interlaken East and a boat ride on Lake Brienz. All included in Swiss Travel Pass!

Day 4 – Toured Ballenberg,(free with STP) an interesting outdoor museum. This was the one time my SBB app had us in the wrong location. There are two entrances to Ballenberg and it thought we were at the other entrance, so it gave us the wrong time to catch the bus. Which would have been okay had we been waiting at the bus stop, but I was in the WC when the bus came, so we missed the last bus to the train station. After a moment of panic, I went into the gift shop and the cashier was able to direct us to another bus stop about 1/4 mile away, which after a 15 minute wait got us to the train station!

Day 5 – We left early for Murren as this day looked like the best day to go to Schilthorn. After checking into our hotel, we took the cable car to Schlithorn and had amazing views of Jungfrau, Eiger, and Monch. Also took a short hike and looked at the 007 exhibits. Stopped at Birg on the way down and did the Birg Thrill walk, it is included in the cable car ride, which was all free with our STP! Later in the afternoon we took the funicular up to Almendhubel to go on the wildflower walk. There weren’t too many wildflowers, but the ice cream sundae at the restaurant there was amazing!

Day 6 – I went on a 4 mile hike to the Sprutz Waterfall, it was beautiful and fun to walk behind the waterfall. We then took the cable car down to Stechelberg and walked down the Lauterbrunnen Valley, so many waterfalls! We followed the signs to Trummelbach waterfall and took the elevator up and walked down. The power of the water flowing inside the mountain was amazing. To be continued………

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 July 2017 at 6:01:26 #867534

Hi mvmomcat,

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I enjoyed reading. Sounds like you had a good time. Just one question – did you really manage to do the Schiltorn Cable Car ride for free with your STP? It should be 50% with STP. Or did I misread you description around Birg?

Looking forward to hearing the next installment. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 6:58:29 #867535

Hi Mvmomcat,

Thanks for the first instalment of your trip report! Glad your trip back from Ballenberg turned out all right in the end!

Twenty days is a nice long trip! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 17:57:52 #867536

You are right rockoyster, we paid half price for the trip to Schlithorn! I hear next year it will be free with the STP, guess I was getting ahead of myself, but more likely a memory fail!

Annika
    7125 posts
    29 July 2017 at 18:36:31 #867537

Hi Mvmomcat,

Thanks for sharing your travel experiences here! I’m happy to hear that you’ve had such beautiful days and enjoyed the wonderful Bernese Oberland. I’m curious about your further adventures!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 13:26:19 #867538

We will be in Lucerne for two days and are wondering if we can visit Rigi, Titlis and Pilatus in two days. Alternatively if we have to drop one of them, which one should we drop. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 14:40:12 #867539

Hi SnigdhaAvi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This is just a thread about Mvmomcat’s recent trip.

We would be happy to answer your questions if you could start your own thread by posting your question(s) here: http://www.myswissalps .com/forum/miscellaneo us

Thanks!
    Lucas

• The thread ‘20 days in Switzerland trip report – Part 1’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.