Rail pass for Luzern & Interlaken for 3 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 14:16:08 #814714

Hi i will reach Zurich airport on 18/5 morning and plan to head straight to stay in Lucern but will also want to go interlaken and leaving on 20th night to belgium. Can i know is it advisable to buy the tell pass summer or the swiss half pass?

Wendy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 15:25:23 #878459

Hi Muimui and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Have a read through our page on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help you do the math on all your planned trips in Switzerland and compare the costs of rail passes.

The Tell Pass (2 or 3 days) will cover around Luzern and as far as Interlaken only. But only part of the trip from Zurich airport and not really any part of the trip to Belgium (by train?).

A Swiss Half Fare Card may get you a better rate over all when you factor on the discounts on days 1 and 3 – but I’m not sure about that. A Swiss Travel Pass (3 days) may well work out for you as well. The only way to know is to do the math on my first link.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 20:09:55 #878460

Hi Wendy,

For such a short visit a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass is invariably more cost effective than a Swiss Half Fare Card despite the apparent price difference. The minimum real outlay for a SHFC is CHF240 before you start saving.

Presumably at Interlaken you will want to head into the Jungfrau Region? A Tell Pass is no use up there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 11:10:25 #878461

But we only want to visit Zurich Lucerne and interlaken u think 3daya too long? Is it better to move from Basel to Belgium or Zurich?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 14:53:31 #878462

Hi muimui,

Three days isn’t long at all. It’s faster via Basel and my assumption is that you would leave for Belgium from Interlaken? Use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 15:31:28 #878463

Hi Chantel

Yes interlaken will be my last stop in swiss . Do you still think i should get the swiss pass or tell pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 16:27:04 #878464

Hi Muimui,

You will have to do the math as Lucas suggested in his first answer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 1:23:18 #878465

>> interlaken will be my last stop in swiss

Interlaken is not really much of an attraction in itself. It is a good transport hub, and has a lot of shops and hotels, but cannot compete with the scenic beauty of the mountain villages in the Jungfrau Region.

Unless you are going to explore the villages and mountains of the Jungfrau Region (Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Mürren, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Schynige Platte) I would suggest you not go to Interlaken, but spend more time in Luzern instead.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 7:52:24 #878466

Hi Alpenrose

thanks for the info so you think i can just stay at Luzern and there after head to belgium?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:01:33 #878467

>> so you think i can just stay at Luzern and there after head to belgium?

Yes, I don’t think Interlaken itself (as opposed to the Jungfrau Region) is worth your time – Luzern has so much more to offer.

When choosing connections to Belgium, I would avoid any transfers in Paris that involve getting from one Paris station to another, instead choosing transfers in Germany where you just transfer between platforms at the same station. Some trains will have compulsory reservations – the SBB timetable will show which trains that applies to.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Luzern & Interlaken for 3 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.