4 days based in Lucerne -rail pass? & paragliding?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:16:12 #816430

Hi,

My husband and I will be visiting Switzerland in August and will be there from the 4th-7th August.

We will be coming in from Paris. We hope to stay in Lucerne and sight see in Lucerne on the 4th. On the 5th we were thinking of doing some para gliding in Engelberg and go to Mt. Titlis.

On 6th we are looking at the possibilit of doing to either Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi. On the 7th we hope to take the train to Chur and the Bernina express from Chur to Tirano.

We were thinking of buying a tell pass which covers most of the attractions in the area.

Is this a feasible itinerary for 4 days in Switzerland?

Also can I get a few recommendations on where to do paragliding in Engelberg.

Alternatively is it better to base ourselves in zurich and do day trips.

we are not interested in visiting museaums and so on.

Also is the Gotthard Panoramic train recommended or is the Bernina a better experience?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 11:22:56 #887280

Hi Rukshi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lucerne makes a lot more sense as a base than Zurich (much closer to what you want to do). Everything is doable from Luzern. Where are you going after Tirano? Back to Switzerland or on to Italy?

I think more people prefer the Bernina Express than the Gotthard Panorama Express – but I’d rather visit Lugano than Tirano. 🙂

Check out this paragliding company in the Lake Lucerne . Engelberg area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 12:36:30 #887281

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your quick response.

We will be heading to Italy from Tirano.

We are also hoping to but a tell pass as I read that all activities in the area are free. Would this be a better option that a Swiss pass? From my research I think the tell pass will not cover the Bernina express and cost of travel from Lucerne to Chur.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 13:41:49 #887282

Yes, the Tell Pass is good for exploring the areas around Lucerne.
    See what is included on the Tell Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpass/validit y

The Tell Pass doesn’t cover the Bernina Express no. It will get you as far as Zug or Baar and from there you will need a point to point ticket to Chur as well. You will also need to reserve the Bernina Express train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 1:41:49 #887283

I am confused as to whether a tell pass or a Swiss pass is a better option for me.

From what I understand a tell pass will cover the total cost of my trip to Mt.Titlis and Mt. Pilatus. In addition do I have to purchase an entry ticket?

If I purchase a Swiss Pass I will have to pay 50% of the cable car ride for both mountains but my Bernina express ticket is covered and I will have to only pay for the seat reservation.

Am I correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 6:05:19 #887284

Yes, you are correct. Do note, with any Swiss rail pass and mountain trips you usually have to go to the ticket office to get a ticket with a bar code (when cable cars are being used). If your rail pass covers the trip 100% there is no cost to you.

To be 100% sure which pass is cheaper for you on your trip you’ll need to do that math and compare.
    Have a look on our web page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

• The thread ‘4 days based in Lucerne -rail pass? & paragliding?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.