5 days Lucerne in April – Titlis,Golden Pass,Rigi

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 10:11:42 #814292

Hi All,

I am currently staying in Stuttgart and planning a trip to Switzerland from 5th-9th April just after the Easter holidays. I will be travelling with my wife & 3 year old son. Because of my son, we will have to avoid travelling a lot and more of fun and enjoyable trip.

Not sure if I will be able to do all as per my Itinerary as total budget of my trip is maximum 1800 Euros. I hope that this is achievable.

Based on what I have read on this forum, we will be staying for 4 nights in Lucerne only and avoid taking luggage to different places. Below is my Itinerary what I have prepared. Requesting mods and other active expert people in forum to suggest any changes –

Day 1 -> Stuttgart To Lucerne

• 12:30 AM Stuutgart to Reach Hotel
    • 2:00 PM Lunch
    • 3:30 PM Lake Lucerne Cruise
    • 5:00 PM Chappel Bridge -> View, Relax, Lakeside Drinks/Coffee
    • 8:30 PM Back To Hotel
    • 9:00 PM Dinner
    • 10:00 PM Walk Near By

Day 2-> Lucerne -> Mt Titlis

• 9:00 AM Breakfast
    • 11:00 AM To Engelberg
    • 12:00 PM Mt Titlis -Pics, Drink, Relax
    • 6:00 PM Back To Lucerne & Lunch
    • 6:30 PM Discover Old Town / Lucerne Lake -> Relax
    • 8:00 PM Back To Hotel
    • 9:00 PM Dinner & Walk

Day 3-> Lucerne To Interlaken , Golden Pass , Lake Thun

• 10:05 AM Luzern -Interlaken Golden Pass
    • 12:00 PM Reach Interlaken
    • 1:00 PM Interlaken To Thun Boat Trip. Leisure Visit
    • 6:00 PM Train back to Lucern
    • 8:00 PM Reach Hotel

Day 4 -> Lucerne To Mt. Rigi , Cogwheel

• 11:00 AM To Arth Goldau
    • 12:10 PM To Rigi Kulm
    • 12:47 PM Reach Rigi Kulm & Leisure
    • 4:00 PM Descend
    • 5:00 PM Reach Arth Goldau
    • 6:00 PM Back To hotel , Explore Near By
    • 9:00 PM Dinner & Walk Around

Day 5 -> Lucerne To Stuttgart

• 11:00 AM Checkout
    • 3:00 PM Back to Stuttgart

Some questions to all –

1. What more can I do on Day 5 as I will be checking out of the hotel ?

2. Should I buy Swiss pass or pay independently at each place ?

3. What all changes can be done to this Itinerary regarding places which should not be missed ?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 13:19:31 #875905

Hi nchawla and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’re itinerary looks nice – relaxing and not too much running around with a 3 year old!

Be sure to use the SBB timetable to plan your trips. there are limited boat trips on Lake Thun in early April. On the 7th there are 3 departures from Interlaken (West See stop) at 12:10, 14:10 & 15:10.

You can find details and a link to the Lake Thun schedule here. You can also you the SBB timetable above (click advanced search and de-select modes of transport except ship).

As for rail passes, The Tell Pass Summer could work well for you – it covers everything except the Lake Thun boat trip (gets you as far as Interlaken Ost train station) – click here for coverage details.
    The Tell Pass also gets you 20% off admission to the Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne – worth checking out on Day 5! For other ideas of what to do around Lucerne click here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 13:43:48 #875906

Dear Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate.

I will check all the links you have posted and finalise on exact timings as well.

I had Swiss Transport Museum in mind and if it is worth checking, I will surely visit.

Regards,

Navpreet

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 10:59:03 #875907

Hi,

I request some suggestions as my friends are suggesting to split and stay for 2 nights in Jungfrau region.

Below are some location-> Interlaken, Grindelweld, Wengen or Murren.

Please suggest.

Also would you suggest to carry stroller for my 3 year baby as he will not able to walk as much as we can and carrying him will not be a good idea 🙂

Looking forward.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 9:43:22 #875908

Hi nchawla,

I think the most popular town in the Jungfrau region is Wengen. Lauterbrunnen is also a good option as the connections to other nearby towns from there are quite good.

As for the stroller – it can be accommodated on trains etc just try and bring a small one that folds up easily (especially for trips on buses and cable cars etc). If you can’t/won’t carry him then that is your only option I think. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 12:09:34 #875909

Dear Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. I have adjusted the Itinerary as following –

Day 1 -> Stuttgart To Lucerne

• 12:30 AM Stuutgart to Reach Hotel
    • 2:00 PM Lunch
    • 3:30 PM Lake Lucerne Cruise
    • 5:00 PM Chappel Bridge -> View, Relax, Lakeside Drinks/Coffee
    • 8:30 PM Back To Hotel
    • 9:00 PM Dinner
    • 10:00 PM Walk Near By

Day 2-> Lucerne -> Mt Titlis

• 11:00 AM To Engelberg
    • 12:00 PM Mt Titlis -Pics, Drink, Relax
    • 6:00 PM Back To Lucerne & Lunch
    • 6:30 PM Discover Old Town / Lucerne Lake -> Relax
    • 8:00 PM Back To Hotel
    • 9:00 PM Dinner & Walk

Day 3-> Lucerne To Mt Rigi, Wengen

• 10:00 AM To Arth Goldau
    • 10:50 AM To Rigi Kulm
    • 11:47 PM Reach Rigi Kulm & Leisure
    • 3:00 PM Descend
    • 5:00 PM Reach Hotel & Checkout
    • 5:30 PM Golden Pass To Interlaken To Wengen
    • 9:00 PM Reach Wengen & Check In

Day 4 -> Wengen To Jungfrau

• 10:00 AM ToJungfraou
    • 6:00 PM Back To hotel , Explore Near By
    • 9:00 PM Dinner & Walk Around

Day 5 -> Wengen To Lucerne Via Golden Pass

• 11:00 AM Checkout & Walk Around
    • 3:00 PM Golden Pass Via Interlaken To Lucerne
    • 7:00 PM Lucerne To Stuttgart

My questions –

1. Does the Itinerary now look ok covering both regions ?

2. What would be the best travel pass as per Itinerary considering the train from Wengen to Jungfrau is very costly ?

Looking forward for your suggestions so that I can book my tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 16:23:07 #875910

Yes, the itinerary looks reasonable!

I might add Thun back in on day 5 (unless something around Wengen catches your eye that day and you want to stay there longer). There isn’t a need to go back to Lucerne to continue back to Stuttgart either. After Thun you can catch a train back with only 1 stop in Karlsruhe. Use the Swiss railways timetable to make your plans.

In April, the only rail pass you could really consider that covers your destinations is the Swiss Travel Pass. With it you’ll need to still buy tickets to Jungfraujoch (25% discount on ticket from Wengen) and to Mt. Titlis (50% off ticket from Engelberg) otherwise you are covered.

With the 4 day pass you only need a ticket from the Swiss border town (Basel) to Stuttgart on day 5. I would think the best 4 days are days 2-5. Buy a ticket from Stuttgart to Lucerne on the 1st day.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2018 at 20:13:13 #875911

Using the Deutsche Bahn website you can buy saver fare tickets between Stuttgart and Lucerne for €40. See goo.gl/CompZv

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2018 at 21:58:47 #875912

But . . . using SBB timetable I’ve seen a saver fare as low as CHF23 for same trip. But that was for a with 1 change at Zurich and may not be at a time convenient to your plans. It pays to shop around. Try whole journey Stuttgart to Lucerne and reverse on both DB and SBB sites.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 9:39:55 #875913

Hi @rockoyster,

Thanks for your response.

However, the issue is not with the Stuttgart travel to Switzerland. But the issue is with which Swiss pass to choose.

If you look at my 2 Itinerary , for the modified one, the best pass as recommended by @Lucas is Swiss Travel Pass. However, the costs have gone up considerably as below as below were free with Tell Summer Pass-

Mt. Titlis -> 50% -> Costs for 2 person [ 80 Euro ] Jungfraouch -> Was not in my first Itinerary, so the train from Wengen to Jungfraouch is costing [305 Eur ]

So the additional cost is around 500 Euros [ Also adding additional Day of Swiss Travel Pass ] with my modified Journey.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 15:45:45 #875914

Hi nchawla,

Please be advised that with the Swiss Travel Pass your ticket to Jungfraujoch will be 89 CHF (+/- 78 EUR). The Tell Summer Pass does not give any discount on Jungfraujoch nor is it for free with that pass.

You may want to check these pages:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 15:48:49 #875915

Thanks @Chantal.

One last question is that should I visit Wengen first or Lucerne ? I will be heading back to Stuttgart on Day 5 with a kid, so wanted to check the best route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 16:28:34 #875916

It doesn’t have to be your last question ;-).

I looked at your itinerary and I personally would do Wengen first and then go to Lucerne rather than Lucerne – Wengen – Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 17:07:28 #875917

Hi All,

I have finalised my trip from 27th To 31st March.

I have retained my original plan as including Jungfraouch in 4 days itinerary would be exhausting.

For stay, we have taken Hotel Monopol Luzern. http://www.monopolluzern.ch

They have given us some discount and also 2 days winter tell pass free for all members. This will help us travel free in local transport and also cable cars.

Thanks all for your suggestions and inputs.

Will post my experience once I return from Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 17:29:06 #875918

Happy Travels!

I look forward to reading your trip report!

• The thread ‘5 days Lucerne in April – Titlis,Golden Pass,Rigi’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.